PDA

View Full Version : Java

rtsk
18th September 2006, 07:49 AM
For good reason. Name one exceptional characteristic of Java that makes it more useful than the alternatives.

snoop
18th September 2006, 08:44 AM
rtsk, Open Standards, MS needs to open up .net more.
AWT, it makes it damn easy to make a GUI that looks the same on every machine every time.
JSP, it's faster than PHP, and it has better OOP. Most oracle developers that do web stuff do it with JSP rather than PHP.
You can compile java completely to a binary or distribute as bytecode.
Did somebody say Applet? Active-X really blows, and only works for windows and isn't done very well.

Regardless this thread is for help with java not for insulting it.

rtsk
19th September 2006, 12:46 AM
rtsk, Open Standards, MS needs to open up .net more.
I'm even less of a fan of .net than Java. C,C++,Python,Perl,Haskell, etc. are all open-standard (as in *real* C and C++, not the microsoft corruptions of it).

AWT, it makes it damn easy to make a GUI that looks the same on every machine every time.

As it is with a whole lot of other GUI libraries - say wx, Tkinter or QT. AWT/Swing is far clunkier than wx imo. (at least wxPython - I've had less experience with GUIs with C++ / Tcl / Haskell, though still some)

JSP, it's faster than PHP, and it has better OOP. Most oracle developers that do web stuff do it with JSP rather than PHP.
Why not just use cgi? It's even faster (well if you use a compiled language - perl and python (which i use due to ease of development) would be rather slow)... not to mention more secure. Besides there are much better alternatives to oracle :P

You can compile java completely to a binary or distribute as bytecode.
The binaries are still rather slow, and you have to sacrifice some functionality.

As for applets, I'll give you that, but Java is still tremendously slow and is most certainly a memory hog.

And yes, on the last point - I shan't say more.