PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way for clan members to chat

fishergimp
23rd July 2006, 03:50 PM
If we register our clan on here and get our own thread, whats stopping other clans from having a look in on what we're discussing? Should we be setting up our own chat board elsewhere? I once used ezboard but it was full of adverts. Any ideas?

EworTam-
23rd July 2006, 03:59 PM
Most big clans, and infact most small clans aswell, have their own forums. This way you can manage who can or can not view certain information. Fit-Blitz explains about creating an alliance, setting up your own forums, and much more in this thread: http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?t=27435

If you're still a small alliance though I would say that communicating over MSN or irc is easier and more effective.

p.s. the purpose of registering your alliance on here on GUA is more for advertising it to try and get more members, rather than discussing alliance information.

AeliusPix
23rd July 2006, 10:32 PM
IRC rooms are best for live chat, but they should be used alongside private forums so that important info remains permanent.

I personally prefer IVF forums. They're easy to use, nice to look at, and have a pretty good mod cp.
As for IRC rooms, ask around in an existing room to find out how to set one up.

r0b-dog
26th July 2006, 06:30 AM
my advice is get a koc irc chat room and make a forum for where you can chat to other members of your clan mates. hope that helpful...

MrFoolKiller
26th July 2006, 09:57 AM
IRC is overall the best way to communicate with multiple members of your alliance, rooms can be set up to invite only with permanent access to members so no one outside of your alliance can get in. Many alliances have a common room that all can get into and a members only room(along with war rooms, etc). I find that IRC backed up with MSN and Yahoo works best. That way I can get in touch with leaders on important issues faster if they aren't paying attention or IRC and officers can get in touch with me. There are many clients(programs) out there that allow you access to IRC servers such as mIRC, trillian and PIRCH(if you can find it still). There is even a java client out there if necessary.

for free forums you can also check out www.myfastforum.org - little to no ads.

suckulus
29th July 2006, 11:07 AM
If ads are your problem with forums, then an ad-blocker can work miracles. Otherwise, hard to get a free forum that is completely ad-free (although some have more than others). Either pay for a forum or deal with the ads. Although an IRC room or messenger is the best for real-time chat, it is hard to accomplish much as an alliance without a forum (unless you all know each other in real life or are always online at the same time). If you want to grow, you need a forum.

One other option, perhaps without ads, is to start a LiveJournal (or other weblog) community. This is not quite as easy as a forum, but does allow you to chat without others seeing and to have something free without ads.

Leibstandarte_SS_AH
13th August 2006, 02:19 PM
I prefer to chat in person with my clan peoples, though I set up a forum and I have loads of them on msn like pokemon, I found the officer notice is also important as long as you keep it updated with the important stuff.