PDA

View Full Version : .sfv files

IeatusesFetuses
31st October 2004, 01:47 PM
Downloading games off the internet without paying for them is illegal, so clearly I am asking this question for educational purposes only. :whistilin

Let's say a person was to download something off the internet, and un-rar'ed it into a folder. Let us also say that the only contents of that folder were a series of files numbered from "somefile.001" to "somefile.054", and a .sfv file.

Theorhetically a person may have then downloaded a .sfv program off the internet that seemed to only checked the numbered files to detect missing or broken files, but didn't combine them back together.

Thusly, is the .sfv file the only thing needed to both check and recombine the files? Or is the unnamed person simply SOL because the unsplitting file is missing.

omega
31st October 2004, 03:49 PM
if some of your RAR files are damaged you need PAR files to fix them.

I assume this is from a newsgroup where you're downloading movie trailers or game demos, yes?

IeatusesFetuses
31st October 2004, 04:06 PM
if some of your RAR files are damaged you need PAR files to fix them.

I assume this is from a newsgroup where you're downloading movie trailers or game demos, yes?

Well, winrar didn't detect any errors in the "call_of_duty-Dawnville-Demo.rar" file, and fastsfv said there were no errors in the numbered files either.

I guess my real question is wheter or not there is a file splitting program that doesn't require/create any file (.spl or otherwise) for the process of reassembly

I searched around on the net and discovered that the rejoining process is actually performed by a single command that can be run from a .bat file. Looks like those 4 years of CS are going to finally come in handy....

Flocito
31st October 2004, 11:56 PM
Downloading games off the internet without paying for them is illegal, so clearly I am asking this question for educational purposes only. :whistilin

From the rules:
"There will be no CD key trading, serials, warez sites, ftpz, whatever. Anything illegal is NOT welcome here in ANY shape or form."

We do not allow the discussion of how to get warez working, whether it's for "educational purposes" or not. If you had phrased your question differently, then maybe I would have let it slide, but from a liablilty standpoint I don't want to get in trouble for having warez disscussions. Therefore, this thread is locked and use google to find your answer.