PDA

View Full Version : Netsend

King_Of_Hearts
26th October 2004, 04:45 PM
I know how to netsend on the internet but how do I netsend on a network? How do I findout all I need to know to send a message from PC2PC?

White_Hindu
26th October 2004, 04:47 PM
You can use the following to send a message to all computers in the network with messaging service turned on:

net send * Hello

If you want to send a message to a certain computer, then replace the asterisk with the computer name.

Flocito
26th October 2004, 05:10 PM
NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

King_Of_Hearts
26th October 2004, 09:57 PM
Yes I know that part but how do I find out the name of the computer?

When I do it over the internet I type something like Net send 127.0.0.1 Hello how is this different from doing a netsend over a network.

Can you please answer my first question and put in a EX:.

Phyrus
26th October 2004, 10:38 PM
how is this different from doing a netsend over a network.

do it in command prompt (DOS in other words)

Flocito
27th October 2004, 12:39 AM
Yes I know that part but how do I find out the name of the computer?

When I do it over the internet I type something like Net send 127.0.0.1 Hello how is this different from doing a netsend over a network.

Can you please answer my first question and put in a EX:.

Ok, well first of all let me help you on a small detail that you've got wrong. When you type net send 127.0.0.1 Hello you aren't sending anything over the internet. 127.0.0.1 is the localhost, which is the computer that you are sitting in front of, so it's not going anywhere.

Next, if you want to send it to another computer on your LAN, then you need to know what that computer's name or ip address is on the network. For example, let's say you know another computer on the network has the IP address of 192.169.3.10, then you would type net send 192.169.3.10 Hello. This would send a message across your network.

King_Of_Hearts
27th October 2004, 12:15 PM
Ok, well first of all let me help you on a small detail that you've got wrong. When you type net send 127.0.0.1 Hello you aren't sending anything over the internet. 127.0.0.1 is the localhost, which is the computer that you are sitting in front of, so it's not going anywhere.Oh come on every one know's 127.0.0.1 is you're own localhost but that is why I used it as my EX. In other words I did't want to use anyones REAL IP.

Next, if you want to send it to another computer on your LAN, then you need to know what that computer's name or ip address is on the network. For example, let's say you know another computer on the network has the IP address of 192.169.3.10, then you would type net send 192.169.3.10 Hello. This would send a message across your network.For the last time I know that. I net send people all the time over the internet. What I am asking is how do I find out the name of someone's computer and if you can tell me that could you also give me a EX: of what it may look like.

EX: If I am on Computer A and I want to net send to someone on Computer B and we are both NOT on the internet how can I find out the name of Computer B?

Is there a Command I can type to find out?
What would it look like after I find out the name of Computer B?
EX: Net Send MAX Hello?

Flocito
27th October 2004, 12:40 PM
Oh come on every one know's 127.0.0.1 is you're own localhost but that is why I used it as my EX. In other words I did't want to use anyones REAL IP.

Actually, you're wrong. Not everyone knows that 127.0.0.1 is localhost. And since you got your terminology messed up on your question about sending a message "across the internet" to 127.0.0.1 it sure didn't look like you knew what you were talking about. Therefore, I cleared it up for you and anyone that is reading along.

For the last time I know that. I net send people all the time over the internet. What I am asking is how do I find out the name of someone's computer and if you can tell me that could you also give me a EX: of what it may look like.

Ok, well first of all your question was how to use net send, so we provided that answer to you, which you responded with "Yes I know that part but how do I find out the name of the computer?"

So, then I answered your next question by saying, to send the message you need to know the computer's IP address or name, to which you responded, "For the last time I know that. I net send people all the time over the internet." So I'm not sure what the heck you are asking for since you seem to know it all.

EX: If I am on Computer A and I want to net send to someone on Computer B and we are both NOT on the internet how can I find out the name of Computer B?

Is there a Command I can type to find out?
What would it look like after I find out the name of Computer B?
EX: Net Send MAX Hello?
If computer A and computer B are both NOT on the internet, then you can't net send to them anyway, so your example is pretty useless. If computer A and computer B WERE on the internet and you wanted to send a message from A to B all you need is the IP address or the computer name, which are the same thing. Of course, you keep stating that you already know this, so what exactly is it that you want to know?

If it's your friend's computer and you want to know their IP address, ask them. Then you can net send them messages all day long. Or you could use an instant messaging program that's a lot easier.

So in summary:

ex1: net send 192.168.3.10 Hello
ex2: net send kingofhearts.cox.net Hello

King_Of_Hearts
27th October 2004, 01:38 PM
Actually, you're wrong. Not everyone knows that 127.0.0.1 is localhost. And since you got your terminology messed up on your question about sending a message "across the internet" to 127.0.0.1 it sure didn't look like you knew what you were talking about. Therefore, I cleared it up for you and anyone that is reading along.I did not mess up I was useing 127.0.0.1 as a example. Who cair's what the IP is? What diff does it make? I was just showing the step's of net sending over the internet.

Ok, well first of all your question was how to use net send, so we provided that answer to you, which you responded with "Yes I know that part but how do I find out the name of the computer?"

So, then I answered your next question by saying, to send the message you need to know the computer's IP address or name, to which you responded, "For the last time I know that. I net send people all the time over the internet." So I'm not sure what the heck you are asking for since you seem to know it all.

That's funney becuse I thout I said.
I know how to netsend on the internet buthow do I netsend on a network? How do I findout all I need to know to send a message from PC2PC?

If computer A and computer B are both NOT on the internet, then you can't net send to them anyway, so your example is pretty useless. If computer A and computer B WERE on the internet and you wanted to send a message from A to B all you need is the IP address or the computer name, which are the same thing. Of course, you keep stating that you already know this, so what exactly is it that you want to know?

If it's your friend's computer and you want to know their IP address, ask them. Then you can net send them messages all day long. Or you could use an instant messaging program that's a lot easier.

So in summary:

ex1: net send 192.168.3.10 Hello
ex2: net send kingofhearts.cox.net Hello
That is not ture as long as you and all the computers are hocked up to the same network you can net send to any computer hocked up to that Network. I know that much is true I've seen it done. I think it does have something to do with the computer's name. Like you have to type the computers name where the IP goes.

As White_Hindu said

You can use the following to send a message to all computers in the network with messaging service turned on:

net send * Hello

If you want to send a message to a certain computer, then replace the asterisk with the computer name.

But the part's I am stuck on are how to find out the computers name.
And if someone would be so kind to show me a EX of how's it's done.

Thank you by the way White_Hindu

Flocito
27th October 2004, 02:15 PM
I did not mess up I was useing 127.0.0.1 as a example. Who cair's what the IP is? What diff does it make? I was just showing the step's of net sending over the internet.

It makes a difference, because once again you obviously don't undertand that sending a net send to 127.0.0.1 does not go over the internet. That the whole point of my response, not only to you, but to anyone else reading this thread. If they send it to the local host, then it's not going over the internet. Not everyone knows what localhost is.

That's funney becuse I thout I said.

Originally Posted by First post by King_Of_Hearts
I know how to netsend on the internet buthow do I netsend on a network? How do I findout all I need to know to send a message from PC2PC?

No, the funny thing is that you can't read. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in using net send over a LAN (network) and over the WAN (Internet). The syntax is the SAME. Therefore, a) you really don't know how to use net send or b) you have a problem comprehending the above statment.

That is not ture as long as you and all the computers are hocked up to the same network you can net send to any computer hocked up to that Network. I know that much is true I've seen it done. I think it does have something to do with the computer's name. Like you have to type the computers name where the IP goes.

So, you didn't describe your example clear enough. Both computers are off the WAN (Internet) but are on a LAN (network). If so then re-read the second sentence on of my answer. It tells you how to net send to someone that's on the same network as you.

As White_Hindu said

Originally Posted by White_Hindu

net send * Hello

What he said is the exact same thing that I said. Computer name = IP address, IP address = Computer name. Maybe that's the concept you aren't grasping. Let's say the computer named GUA_SERVER on the gua.com domain has the IP address of 192.168.6.6. Then the following statements are the same:
net send 192.168.6.6 Hello
net send GUA_SERVER.gua.com Hello

By changing it to net send * Hello, basically you are broadcasting the message to every computer on that LAN.

But the part's I am stuck on are how to find out the computers name.
And if someone would be so kind to show me a EX of how's it's done.

You can look for the computer names by going through network neighborhood, you could go log onto the remote computer and right-click Properties on my computer to get the computer name, or you could ask the person that is sitting at the computer what their computer name OR ip address was. All of these methods would get you the information you need to do a net send to them.

----------------------------
Now for some possibilties of why you can't get net send to work. You haven't described the environment that you are trying to use it in. Are you on a LAN at work or school and trying to send it to someone else? Are you at Home and trying to send it to someone that is at work or school on a LAN? This is helpful information if you are having problems getting it to work. Why you ask? Because many system administrators will block ports and commands from working across the firewall to the outside world. They do this for security reasons. For example, at my work I can do the net send command to the guy sitting in the next office with me across our LAN, but I can't net send my friend across town working at his job. The firewall blocks the traffic from getting through.

Of course, this isn't what you asked, you didn't ask us to debug why net send isn't working for you.

King_Of_Hearts
27th October 2004, 07:44 PM
It makes a difference, because once again you obviously don't undertand that sending a net send to 127.0.0.1 does not go over the internet. That the whole point of my response, not only to you, but to anyone else reading this thread. If they send it to the local host, then it's not going over the internet. Not everyone knows what localhost is.Look! 127.0.0.1 is a example! What part are you not getting? Are you really that dumb? Ok what would you like me to say?

To Net Send
Go into DOS and type Net send 123.456.789.1011 Hello

What are you going to say now? That that is not a real IP? I'll save you the time yes you're right it's not. Why? Becuse it's ONY A EXAMPLE!!!

Yes you're right when you do ANYTHING with the IP 127.0.0.1 it does not go over the internet. But I will never use a reall IP in any of my example's. So get use to it.

I really don't see why you had to make a big deal over it? Other then you want people to think you know more then you really do.

No, the funny thing is that you can't read. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in using net send over a LAN (network) and over the WAN (Internet). The syntax is the SAME. Therefore, a) you really don't know how to use net send or b) you have a problem comprehending the above statment.I had a hard time? I had to quote my first post before you got the question right. If you read the post and not just the topic it would have saved us all alot of time.

So, you didn't describe your example clear enough. Both computers are off the WAN (Internet) but are on a LAN (network). If so then re-read the second sentence on of my answer. It tells you how to net send to someone that's on the same network as you.

I know how to netsend on the internet but how do I netsend on a network? How do I findout all I need to know to send a message from PC2PC?
Now I quoteed my self yet again. You show me where I said I need help netsending on the internet? I don't never said I did.

As for you're second answer to me look's like a copy from White_Hindu just re-worded. Pluss you still never answerd my first question.

What he said is the exact same thing that I said. Computer name = IP address, IP address = Computer name. Maybe that's the concept you aren't grasping. Let's say the computer named GUA_SERVER on the gua.com domain has the IP address of 192.168.6.6. Then the following statements are the same:
net send 192.168.6.6 Hello
net send GUA_SERVER.gua.com HelloBut don't you get it that's not helping? How can I net send someone if I don't know the coputer's name or IP? I know how to find the (Win XP) IP when on-line but not if I am off line.

You can look for the computer names by going through network neighborhood, you could go log onto the remote computer and right-click Properties on my computer to get the computer name, or you could ask the person that is sitting at the computer what their computer name OR ip address was. All of these methods would get you the information you need to do a net send to them.
Thank you this is the answer I was looking for.

Now for some possibilties of why you can't get net send to work. You haven't described the environment that you are trying to use it in. Are you on a LAN at work or school and trying to send it to someone else? Are you at Home and trying to send it to someone that is at work or school on a LAN? This is helpful information if you are having problems getting it to work. Why you ask? Because many system administrators will block ports and commands from working across the firewall to the outside world. They do this for security reasons. For example, at my work I can do the net send command to the guy sitting in the next office with me across our LAN, but I can't net send my friend across town working at his job. The firewall blocks the traffic from getting through.

Of course, this isn't what you asked, you didn't ask us to debug why net send isn't working for you.Wate! wate! Wate! Who said I can't get Net Send to work for me? I have not even tryed yet.

Flocito
27th October 2004, 10:51 PM
Look! 127.0.0.1 is a example! What part are you not getting? Are you really that dumb? Ok what would you like me to say?

To Net Send
Go into DOS and type Net send 123.456.789.1011 Hello

What are you going to say now? That that is not a real IP? I'll save you the time yes you're right it's not. Why? Becuse it's ONY A EXAMPLE!!!

Yes you're right when you do ANYTHING with the IP 127.0.0.1 it does not go over the internet. But I will never use a reall IP in any of my example's. So get use to it.

I really don't see why you had to make a big deal over it? Other then you want people to think you know more then you really do.

Your example was bad. Next time use an IP address like 192.*.*.* An example would be 192.168.3.16. The 192 domain is what is used as a default for LANs, that way you don't have to worry about usiing a "real" ip address.

I had a hard time? I had to quote my first post before you got the question right. If you read the post and not just the topic it would have saved us all alot of time.

I answered your question in my previous posts, you just didn't read it. That's not my fault.

Now I quoteed my self yet again. You show me where I said I need help netsending on the internet? I don't never said I did.

From you first post: "I know how to netsend on the internet but how do I netsend on a network? "

Sure looks like you are asking how to use net send on a network. Which I responded by saying it's the same as using net send on the internet.

But don't you get it that's not helping? How can I net send someone if I don't know the coputer's name or IP? I know how to find the (Win XP) IP when on-line but not if I am off line.

You can't, hence why I said to ask the person what their IP address was.

Thank you this is the answer I was looking for.

Good, then consider this thread answered and closed.