PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X and X - 2 review

Petoux
29th March 2006, 10:50 AM
Final Fantasy X:
Review by Swordsplay

Basics:

Final fantasy X is about a star blitzball player named Tidus that wakes up in a strange world and seeks to unlock its mystery. An evil giant lurks this world and is rumored that it can not be killed permantly, since it is reborn about every 7 years when defeated. With the help of his new friends, they go on a journey to find a way to kill it once and for all and save Spira. But, there is more to tell than that. Tidus has a secret of his own that he doesn't know about. You find out much later in the game.

Stats:

Rating: T (Teen).
Publisher: Sony
Developer: Square Soft
Platform: Playstation 2 · Genre: Role Playing
Release Date: Dec 17, 2001 · Origin: Japan (of course)

Gameplay: 10 out of 10 - I personally think that Final Fantasy X was the best final fantasy I have ever seen. I take my time on final fantasy, but I will still give you a general idea of how long this game is. It took me 90 hours total, and it was worth every single damn second! Absolutely incredible gameplay. The best I've seen as of yet!

Graphics: 4 out of 5 - The scenery is amazing! It has a slightly 3 - D look to it. The cutscenes have the graphics to the maximum. Cutscenes or not, the graphics look very realistic. Could be a tiny bit better on the characters outside of the cutscenes though, otherwise flawless.

Sound & music: 5 out of 5 - Everyone should know this by now. ALL final fantasy music kicks ass. This one is quite interesting. When you go into battle, the battle music is pretty cool. I love the music when you turn the game on though. Very beautiful piano music.

Level Design: 5 out of 5 - Final fantasy doesn't have levels, it's just a giant map/world to explore. It has an incredible design, each "level" is very well made and fits perfectly in the whole entire "puzzle" or world map. Final fantasy is really good about doing this. The "level" design for the final battle is really cool!

Replay value: 5 out of 5 - After playing this game, it makes you want to play again and again and again like I said before. You never get tired of final fantasy. Plus, a story like X, it will blow your socks off! Oh, and also, they can actually finally talk! That helps. :p

Story/plotline: 10 out of 10 - Story and plotline is always masterpiece material when it comes to final fantasy, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular would it? :p

Overall: 9.75/10 - Worth your money, and worth buying. No doubts about it.

Final Fantasy X - 2:
Review by Swordsplay

Basics:

In case you havn't played Final Fantasy X, I'll put stuff in spoiler tags:

Spira. Once upon a time it was a world of prosperity, sustained by an advanced civilization of machina. Then, one thousand years ago, Sin came. This immortal menace brought perennial destruction to the land and slowed advances to civilization. The teachings of Yevon offered solace to Spira’s terrified people, but also forbade the use of machina. Still, most people were willing to sacrifice progress for a sense of security, and civilization eventually came to a standstill. Summoners emerged as Spira’s only hope. They alone were able to stop Sin—if only for a little while.

On the day she becomes a summoner, Yuna, a girl of seventeen,

meets him. The young man claims to have come from Zanarkand, though that city was supposedly destroyed a thousand years earlier. Hearing his claim, Yuna knows this is no chance encounter. Her father, Braska, was a summoner before her. Jecht, a man who served as his guardian, also claimed to have come from Zanarkand. The next day, Yuna and her own guardians—Kimahri, Wakka, and Lulu—set out on a journey to defeat Sin. He comes along, too, and before long he becomes one of Yuna’s guardians. Others join them: a man named Auron who guarded Braska and an Al Bhed girl named Rikku. The pilgrimage continues. Yuna and her entourage witness much. Operation Mi’ihen is launched in an attempt to stop Sin with machina, but it fails. Seymour Guado, a maester of Yevon, reveals machinations of his own. Finally, Yuna and company arrive at their destination, the sacred ruins of Zanarkand. It is here that they were to learn the one and only way to defeat Sin: the Final Summoning. But Yuna learns something entirely different. Sin cannot be truly destroyed using the Final Summoning. Not now, not ever. Rikku’s father, Cid, takes Yuna and her friends aboard his airship. They begin a new journey, this time in search of another way to destroy Sin. After uncovering the truths and fallacies behind Sin and the teachings of Yevon, they finally succeed in vanquishing Sin. However, that victory meant he would vanish.

A heavy price is paid, but Spira finds peace and freedom from the terror of Sin at last. Filled with the many memories of her journey, Yuna speaks to the people of Spira:

“The people and the friends we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them.” Two years have passed since Sin was destroyed. Since defeating Sin,

And becoming high summoner, Yuna has lived on her childhood home of Besaid Island, and the predictable days pass by one after another. Isn’t this simple happiness what she always wanted? Still, Yuna senses something is missing... Then, one day, her former guardian Rikku comes to Besaid and shows Yuna a movie sphere.

The recording is of him. Or is it? Yuna can’t tell whether it’s him or just someone who looks like him.

“Let’s go look for more clues!” The voice is Rikku’s.

If it is him, Yuna might be able to see him one more time. If not, Yuna will probably never see him again.

No matter what the truth may be, the answers she finds may change things forever. Yuna begins another journey with two other people to help her out.

Stats:

Rating: T (Teen).
Publisher: Sony
Developer: Square Soft
Platform: Playstation 2 · Genre: Role Playing
Release Date: 11/18/03 · Origin: Japan (of course)
DEVELOPERS/CREATORS:

Director-Motomu Toriyama

Producer-Yoshinori Kitase

Art Director-Shintaro Takai

Main Character Designer-Tetsuya Nomura

Real-Time Graphics and 3D Map Director-Yoichi Kubo

Music-Takahito Eguchi and Noriko Matsueda

Scenario-Kazushige Nojima and Daiskue Watanabe

Gameplay: 7 out of 10 - Not nearly as good as the first one, but still very impressive.

Graphics: 4 out of 5 - Samething as Final Fantasy X obviously, since it's the sequel. :p

Sound & music: 4 out of 5 - Like I said, all Final Fantasy games' music kicks ass! However, the battle music for this final fantasy is terrible and annoying!

Level Design: 5 out of 5 - Same as final fantasy X

Replay value: 3 out of 5 - It isn't that great compared to X, however it has 6 different endings depending on what you do.

Story/plotline: 6 out of 10 - Story/plotline is really weird a lot of the time. The story is a tiny bit shorter and also seems rushed. It just doesn't seem right.

Overall: 6.75/10 - Eh, it's ok. Rent it, then decide to buy it or not.

Atom Ant
29th March 2006, 04:41 PM
moved to reviews i guess

Volt
4th April 2006, 06:36 PM
*breathes*

okay, let me say first that I came here because someone showed me this forum, and I read your review. Since I am new here, it would be a bad idea to make enemies, so I'll go easy on you.

Basics:

Final fantasy X is about a star blitzball player named Tidus that wakes up in a strange world and seeks to unlock its mystery. An evil giant lurks this world and is rumored that it can not be killed permantly, since it is reborn about every 7 years when defeated. With the help of his new friends, they go on a journey to find a way to kill it once and for all and save Spira. But, there is more to tell than that. Tidus has a secret of his own that he doesn't know about. You find out much later in the game.

Okay, the first thing a reviewer does, is making sure the information he gives away is actually usefull for someone who hasnt played the game yet. You start off with "blitzball", a term nobody who hasnt played the game knows. (you made a grammar error that my old schoolteacher would kick my ass for btw). Second, you say "the monster cant be killed since he is revived". Is that really necessary to know, and wise to say? I'd say let the player find out that nifty piece of info him/herself. You end with "he has a secret of his own". Okay, for a review, is that even required? Thats like giving an FF7 review and saying "cloud isn't who he says he is in his flashback, but you'll find out later".

Gameplay: 10 out of 10 - I personally think that Final Fantasy X was the best final fantasy I have ever seen. I take my time on final fantasy, but I will still give you a general idea of how long this game is. It took me 90 hours total, and it was worth every single damn second! Absolutely incredible gameplay. The best I've seen as of yet!

I can't believe you thought it. Okay, I can believe you THOUGHT it, but that you actually had the guts to type it in public is unforgivable. We all know that the FF series really have nothing much to be proud of, but to say FFX is the "best in the series", no. That you spent 90 hours on it, is even worse. Not even with all the sidequests etc did I spend over 40 hours on it. Not just that, but the whole game is as predictable as a hungry fox in a chickencoop.
The gameplay is not only as original as a dishonest politician, the game itself is linear,meaning you CANT EXPLORE ANYTHING. You go from story - walk/fight - story - walk/fight. At least the other FF series gave you some freedom to explore the world.

Graphics: 4 out of 5 - The scenery is amazing! It has a slightly 3 - D look to it. The cutscenes have the graphics to the maximum. Cutscenes or not, the graphics look very realistic. Could be a tiny bit better on the characters outside of the cutscenes though, otherwise flawless.

This is something I agree on; the cutscenes are the top of the cake. the creme de la creme.

Sound & music: 5 out of 5 - Everyone should know this by now. ALL final fantasy music kicks ass. This one is quite interesting. When you go into battle, the battle music is pretty cool. I love the music when you turn the game on though. Very beautiful piano music.

I don't know what you listen to while playing this game, but I found the music to be bland, boring, dull, repetative, and even annoying. There are 2 places where the music kicks ass, and that is during the intro FMV, and the semi-final boss battle.

Level Design: 5 out of 5 - Final fantasy doesn't have levels, it's just a giant map/world to explore. It has an incredible design, each "level" is very well made and fits perfectly in the whole entire "puzzle" or world map. Final fantasy is really good about doing this. The "level" design for the final battle is really cool!

the game doesnt have "levels". It has dots on a worldmap. Yes, I admit that some areas look good in the game, but to give that a 5/5 score is not only incredibly biased and balony, its ridiculous. The whole "fits into the puzzle" makes no sense whatsoever.

Replay value: 5 out of 5 - After playing this game, it makes you want to play again and again and again like I said before. You never get tired of final fantasy. Plus, a story like X, it will blow your socks off! Oh, and also, they can actually finally talk! That helps. :p

How much of a fanboy can one possibly be? Its bad enough people are like "omfg FF7 is the bestest rpg ever omg!!!", but you are trying to bring it to the next level here. The entire story is predictable, and the ONE thing that isnt predictable (Tidus) is so farfetched that its an insult to the people who work hard to write a decent plot for their games. Seriously, I am beginning to believe you have no RPG experience whatsoever. Or are you under the impression that Chrono trigger is a fantastic rpg as well? And the voiceovers, dude tidus sounds like he's been assraped moments earlier with his highpitched (and ANNOYING AS HELL) voice. The ONLY good thing about the voice overs in this game, is that they casted Dwight Schultz for the voice of O' aka, and Maechen. (hint - voice overs are nothing new... they did that in tales of Eternia/DestinyII on the PSX). As for replay value.... I can't say I want to touch FFX while in a sober mood, ever again.

Story/plotline: 10 out of 10 - Story and plotline is always masterpiece material when it comes to final fantasy, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular would it? :p

Final Fantasy has a name, not a reputation. The only reason people know them is because they went overseas, while greater rpg's like DragonQuest stayed in Japan.

Second part.

remove EVERYTHING from that second review, and start at "And becoming high summoner," and replace "and" by "after". The previous part is simply a spoiler for FFX and is not related to anything in FFX2 at ALL. To many details.

Actually, im not even going to call that a review. I can only recommend that you let someone else re-read it (someone not biased), and to pay attention to your enthousiasm. Just because you find a game good, don't give it absurdly high scores. I might find "tales of Destiny II" a great rpg, but I wont give it straight 9's on all areas.

~Volt~

Petoux
5th April 2006, 08:25 AM
Basics:

By Volt:

Okay, the first thing a reviewer does, is making sure the information he gives away is actually usefull for someone who hasnt played the game yet. You start off with "blitzball", a term nobody who hasnt played the game knows. (you made a grammar error that my old schoolteacher would kick my ass for btw). Second, you say "the monster cant be killed since he is revived". Is that really necessary to know, and wise to say? I'd say let the player find out that nifty piece of info him/herself. You end with "he has a secret of his own". Okay, for a review, is that even required? Thats like giving an FF7 review and saying "cloud isn't who he says he is in his flashback, but you'll find out later".

1.) Blitzball ~ I understand people that havn't played the game know what this is, the reason for this, is so they find out what it is on their own, to make them think "Oooh, that sounds interesting, I wonder what it is!" That means it is more likely for them to find out what it is, which raises the possibility of them getting the game. The magic of a review is not only to review a game, but try to get the people interested in buying it. Also, I know this is lame, but moderators might consider that a spoiler since it gives information out that people don't know about.

2.) About the immortal being ~ Also gets them more hooked, and it isn't techniquelly giving information away. It evens says that on the back of the video game case, hense I used it. Again, it also gets someone more hooked into the game by saying "How can you kill an immortal being then if it keeps coming back?" Same goes for the secret I mentioned. It adds more to the story instead of...."Someone plays bliztball and trys to find a way to kill an immortal being..." - that isn't as interesting as the story twists.

By Volt:

I can't believe you thought it. Okay, I can believe you THOUGHT it, but that you actually had the guts to type it in public is unforgivable. We all know that the FF series really have nothing much to be proud of, but to say FFX is the "best in the series", no. That you spent 90 hours on it, is even worse. Not even with all the sidequests etc did I spend over 40 hours on it. Not just that, but the whole game is as predictable as a hungry fox in a chickencoop.
The gameplay is not only as original as a dishonest politician, the game itself is linear,meaning you CANT EXPLORE ANYTHING. You go from story - walk/fight - story - walk/fight. At least the other FF series gave you some freedom to explore the world.

That is your personal opinion, and mine was different. Each person has their different opinions where it's positive, neutral, or negative. I believed that you had lots of freedom in my opinion. The fight, move on, fight, move on theory I don't believe is true. Again, this strictly deals with the differences of opinions and arguments which are ok to have. Same goes for giving the whole entire series a certain grade. Each person that plays FF or not, has a different opinion on it. I appreciate your opinion and respect that, it adds more to the review. Thank you.

By Volt:

This is something I agree on; the cutscenes are the top of the cake. the creme de la creme.

Yay! This deals with the opinion thing again. The graphics are quite nice arn't they! ;)

By Volt:

I don't know what you listen to while playing this game, but I found the music to be bland, boring, dull, repetative, and even annoying. There are 2 places where the music kicks ass, and that is during the intro FMV, and the semi-final boss battle.

Again, opinion. After thinking about it again, I still like the music. Only difference is that I didn't like the Mount Gagazet to much.

By Volt:

the game doesnt have "levels". It has dots on a worldmap. Yes, I admit that some areas look good in the game, but to give that a 5/5 score is not only incredibly biased and balony, its ridiculous. The whole "fits into the puzzle" makes no sense whatsoever.

I did say it doesn't have levels, that's why I said "It has "levels" in the game." The quotes around "levels" isn't meant to be taken seriously. I explain that in that quote of mine. Again, opinion with the score which is good. About the fits into the puzzle thing, I'll try to explain that better. What I meant by that, is that the world map is well put together where it makes sense, where it was very well planned out. It makes it a more believeable existing world that you can put yourself into these places on the land. It has almost all the different varietys that the Earth has. Like forests, deserts, oceans, lakes, etc etc.

By Volt:

How much of a fanboy can one possibly be? Its bad enough people are like "omfg FF7 is the bestest rpg ever omg!!!", but you are trying to bring it to the next level here. The entire story is predictable, and the ONE thing that isnt predictable (Tidus) is so farfetched that its an insult to the people who work hard to write a decent plot for their games. Seriously, I am beginning to believe you have no RPG experience whatsoever. Or are you under the impression that Chrono trigger is a fantastic rpg as well? And the voiceovers, dude tidus sounds like he's been assraped moments earlier with his highpitched (and ANNOYING AS HELL) voice. The ONLY good thing about the voice overs in this game, is that they casted Dwight Schultz for the voice of O' aka, and Maechen. (hint - voice overs are nothing new... they did that in tales of Eternia/DestinyII on the PSX). As for replay value.... I can't say I want to touch FFX while in a sober mood, ever again.

Hmmm........I see your point, however this is strictly opinion again. What I truly meant about that it helps to have voices is true. I agree that the voices suck, and if you notice in the English version, their mouths keep moving after they are done talking. I think the reason for this, is because they still have the actions of talking in the Japanese language it looks like, they probably were to lazy to change that since it would take way to much work to do.

Final Fantasy has a name, not a reputation. The only reason people know them is because they went overseas, while greater rpg's like DragonQuest stayed in Japan.

I figured it had both actually. The FF series is considered very popular because of it's success and how much they sell, as if anything else like candy for example yes? As for reputation, I felt that definition meant that overall, people feel good about the series of FF, because that was a true statement. Especially FF7 as the majority of the vote.

By Volt:

Second part.

remove EVERYTHING from that second review, and start at "And becoming high summoner," and replace "and" by "after". The previous part is simply a spoiler for FFX and is not related to anything in FFX2 at ALL. To many details.

Actually, im not even going to call that a review. I can only recommend that you let someone else re-read it (someone not biased), and to pay attention to your enthousiasm. Just because you find a game good, don't give it absurdly high scores. I might find "tales of Destiny II" a great rpg, but I wont give it straight 9's on all areas.

~Volt~

I want to make absolutely sure that I don't ruin the second one for people. Each person is different, and might consider some of those things as spoilers and complain, even something as brief and simple as the characters' names. To be honest with you, I agree that there are to many spoiler tags, but again, it's to make absolutely sure people don't think it's to much of a spoiler and complain, and then I get my ass chased by a moderator for a stupid reason when I could've avoided that. :p

The reason for the biggest spoiler tag, is because it has a lot of information in there from the first one. It also deals with the reasons I mentioned above.

Thank you for your opinions, I respect them and I understand them. They were very good arguments and I liked that.

Thank you for your input, I hope to receive more. Your opinions made me think about what I said more, which is good. Therefore, I explained myself better.

Oh, and welcome to GUA, sorry to start you off on the wrong track with me, not my intention.

:)

~ Swordsplay

Atom Ant
5th April 2006, 08:59 PM
well, i just got the game, cause i figure i should play it at least once =/

so far, so good, but are the weapons without damage or is ther some weapon statistic that i've been too blind to see? cause so far, no weapons have a statistic that i can use to compare them by, all i see is abilities

Volt
3rd May 2006, 05:32 PM
they have no statistic. Everything is determined by the characters strenght. The ONLY weapons that can be considered "fricking strong" would be the characters ultimate weapons, which will pretty much fuck up your definition of "patience". FFX uses the idea of "using weapons strategically", rather than relying on strenght alone. So yes, the abilities pretty much define the strenght of the weapon, replacing the need for statistics.

One hint btw; Save weapons and armour that have 4 empty slots. Save at least 1 of each kind. You will need them later if you plan on adding stats yourself.

i_hate_george_bush88
19th June 2006, 10:23 AM
Reveiws for X:

gameplay:10/10. the game has basic controls very easy to use(and thank god the cancel button is triangle...most chinese games cancel button is circle..which is really annoying!)because its simple its good. not only that but the ability to build YOUR own stats!

graphics: 4/5. for its time it was 5/5 but now its 4/5 square enix has always had cool cinamax scene is particly every game... but i've seen better graphics in different games(halo, WoW, etc)

sound & music: 9/10. well to be perfectly honest this grade comes from the music, the sounds(not the voices)are kinda standerd no big specail niose! the voice acting was really good though! i love the music though!