PDA

View Full Version : Google Desktop

Burner
14th October 2004, 08:07 PM
Not entirely sure this is the right place but it seemed to be the best fit, I appologize if I am wrong. Anyway Google (http://google.com) just released another really cool program/tool called Google Desktop (http://desktop.google.com/). Long story short it lets you google stuff on your own computer including files on your hard drives, cached webpages, contents of MS Office files, emails recieved through Outlook or Outlook Express, as well as AIM conversations which it logs. Granted it is only for windows at the moment and focuses on programs that some geeks (myself included) find annoying/bad it is still a very useful and effective tool. If you want a bit more info check out the Google Desktop (http://desktop.google.com/) website or this Slashdot (http://slashdot.org/articles/04/10/14/1432210.shtml?tid=217) article.

White_Hindu
15th October 2004, 11:07 PM
I'd love to think that it is a good idea but the problem is Windows already has a built-in search which works fine for what I want to do. I can either use the Windows search or I can run more shit in the background and use third-party software to search. Sounds a lot like a web toolbar if you ask me.

Burner
16th October 2004, 01:32 PM
It's clearly personal prefrence weather or not to run a program like this. Personally I find it much faster, powerful, effective, and easier to use than the built-in windows search tool. As far as the program taking up resources it only indexes files when the system is idle so it has negligable impact on regular preformance. Also it doesn't modify IE in any way, avoiding much if not all of the many problems introduces by web toolbars.

omega
16th October 2004, 01:35 PM
I'll say this once and once only:

If you install this, or any other "free" program/addon/utility like this you'll get what you deserve.

Burner
16th October 2004, 03:27 PM
True but on the other hand if your careful and do your research not everything that is "free" is nessicarly bad. In the case of Google Desktop I feel that it is a safe and worth while tool for me to use on my system, here's why:

No spyware or additional software installed.
The only user data sent back is anonymous usage statics and crash reports all of which is easily disabled should you not want it sent.
No additional advertising is displayed at any time.
For Google this is a beta product so the more people who use it the better for them.
The better the experiance that people have, the more Google will encourage them to use it's other products which create income for them (i.e. normal web searches).
Google in my experiance has been an very reputable, responsible, and conscientious company who's priority has always been the user's experiance.

Now that said it also doesn't mean that this tool is for everybody. For example, it is not a good idea to install this on a multiple user system becuase it indexes and searches everything on the system, not just the current user's information.

Anyway the point I'm trying to get across is don't throw a blanket label on something simply because you or others have had negative experiances with similar things. Keep an open mind, be informed, and make decisions for your self.

omega
16th October 2004, 07:24 PM
True but on the other hand if your careful and do your research not everything that is "free" is nessicarly bad. In the case of Google Desktop I feel that it is a safe and worth while tool for me to use on my system, here's why:

No spyware or additional software installed.
The only user data sent back is anonymous usage statics and crash reports all of which is easily disabled should you not want it sent.
No additional advertising is displayed at any time.
For Google this is a beta product so the more people who use it the better for them.
The better the experiance that people have, the more Google will encourage them to use it's other products which create income for them (i.e. normal web searches).
Google in my experiance has been an very reputable, responsible, and conscientious company who's priority has always been the user's experiance.

Now that said it also doesn't mean that this tool is for everybody. For example, it is not a good idea to install this on a multiple user system becuase it indexes and searches everything on the system, not just the current user's information.

Anyway the point I'm trying to get across is don't throw a blanket label on something simply because you or others have had negative experiances with similar things. Keep an open mind, be informed, and make decisions for your self.

Have you made a list of all the .dll and .ocx and .exe files that this google utility may have put on your hard drive(s), most importantly in your system32 folder and reverse engineered these files to see what exactly it is that they're doing?

Have you installed a packet sniffer on localhost or any routers/firewalls in your LAN and looked for yourself as to whether this utility is sending data you tell it not to or that you wouldn't know about if you hadn't installed aforementioned packet sniffer?

Google isn't as reputable or honest as you'd think. There's been rather heated debates over the validity of their page rankings etc.

My point is, if you decide to implicitly trust ANY software company/piece of software, you deserve what you get.

And yes, I did come to that decision by myself, thanks very much.

Burner
16th October 2004, 08:11 PM
I appologize, I didn't mean to offend you as I clearly have. I reacted too quickly, frequently I deal with people who say similar things simply b/c they think they are some kind of "Geek Elite" when really they just spout buzz words and don't know what they are talking about. In addition to that I have a severe pet peev for generalizations. Now in the context of what I was saying if that's how far you want to go before using a program, more power to you.

omega
16th October 2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah, no problem, there are quite a lot of posers out there these days pretending to be 73h 1337 m347, and they get on my nerves too.

And, for programs like this, I'd not only go that far but install it on another computer that I don't use much and don't mind if it needs formatting, before i'd let it anywhere near mine. Then install the packet sniffer. I probably wouldn't reverse engineer any .dll files though, because assembly is a bitch to read. mov ax,dx; int 21h; shoot me now.

Lemming
17th October 2004, 12:33 AM
Wow, Omega. You must have the most virus/spyware free computer ever... I gave up a while ago. I can't get rid of it all.. so I suppose another program couldn't hurt..

How fast does it do the searches?

Burner
17th October 2004, 01:18 AM
Once it finishes indexing your computer (could take up to a day depending on use/content) it does searches almost instantly (ie as long as it takes for a google web search). Also a caveat that I probibly should have included in my initial post....I am an avid fan and user of google products....web search, news, 2 gmail accounts, and now desktop.

Verbose
18th October 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm with Burner on this one, I'll let google experience the consumer backlash and enormous drop in share price after the public finds out that a consumer application is doing things that it's EULA says it's not. Until then, I'll use this handy tool.

Not only that, I'm not trying to hide anything, and lastly why would google create something that would detriment their image? They would try not to, not try to.

Flocito
18th October 2004, 05:31 PM
I haven't tried Google Desktop out yet, but I did notice this new tidbit on Yahoo this afternoon.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=&e=7&u=/ap/20041018/ap_on_hi_te/spying_with_google_5

Just thought I'd post it here for those that are using the tool can read it and give it it's due.

Shinji
18th October 2004, 06:25 PM
hmmmmmmm.......can google really be trusted...
Alot of people uses google i mean ALOT.....simply because its fast and people trust it

Well i read a article about google putting a email engine that scan the incoming email and add the ads/banners that relates to the content of the email. And of course some people stand up and write the article that i read about the privacy of Gmail....

Then now they create google desktop and people finds some crap in it too.....

Does google really want to destoy its own name or are they just not smart enough to figure out that add these stupid thing just not work......

Burner
18th October 2004, 08:10 PM
Does google really want to destoy its own name or are they just not smart enough to figure out that add these stupid thing just not work......

What exactly is your point? If you are trying to say that Google is out to spy on all of it's users and is destroying it's name in doing so (as ur final question suggests) it would really be a good idea to back up what you say. Especially when you consider what you are saying is a pretty serious accusation. Now personally I read terms of use (http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/terms_of_use.html) and Privacy (http://www.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html) agreements before using something. In the ones Google provides for Gmail it very clearly states what they track and how that information is handled. This is true for Google (http://desktop.google.com/eula.html) Desktop (http://desktop.google.com/privacypolicy.html) as well. In my case I am comfortable with what they track and how they use that information. Ultimately it is the right and resposibilty of each person who wants to use thier service to read said agreements and make that decision for themselves. Now if your trying to imply that Google is not following those policies and agreements consider this, Google has way more to loose by not following those agreements then they could ever gain by not following them. In addition to loosing any and all reputation and respect they may have in the community they would also have alot of angry stock holders and legal authorities to answer to.

Verbose
19th October 2004, 02:01 PM
The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707)
This article is by Tim O'Reilly the founder and CEO of O'Reilly & Associates, thought by many to be the best computer book publisher in the world.

1.Google doesn't have humans reading this mail; it has programs reading them. Yes, Google could instruct a program to mine the stored email for confidential information. But so could Yahoo! or AOL or MSN today.

2. For that matter, the very act of sending an email message consists of having a number of programs on different machines read and store your mail. Every time you send an email message, it is typically routed through a number of computers to get to its destination. Run the traceroute command at a command prompt on any Linux or UNIX system (including Mac OS X) or tracert on a Windows system to see the hops that your internet packets go through from your machine to any destination site. Anyone equipped with a packet sniffer at any of those sites can snoop any mail that they want. In fact, the NSA recently proved the effectiveness of this approach by tracking down terrorists by way of their mail traffic.

Read more at the link at the top.

Lastly,
Some of the points Burner made, are close to my points in my previous post and I agree yet again with them and the others he has made. I have one final point to make:
Microsoft has also been in heated debates from anything from privacy to general business ethics. For some reason, people trust them a lot more than any other company... yet they could easily do the things people fear google could do with a search utility (and there are many other types of search utilities, google simply made yet another one). These companies want to make money, I'm sure they'll look after their dividends and not after some evil agenda.