PDA

View Full Version : I need to strengthen my network signal

Xv_raven_vX
11th October 2004, 11:59 AM
I set up a Microsoft wirless network in my house to give my other 2 computers internet access wire free. Receintly it's been cutting in and out and it looses it signal a lot. If I go downstairs to the main computer, which is where the base station is, if I unplug it, and plug it back in, everything is fine for a little bit. But, like an hour later, the signal will cut out again and I have to go back downstairs and reset it. I thought maybe this might be a weak signal or something, does anyone know how I amplify the signal so it will stop doing this?

ShadowGandalf
11th October 2004, 12:15 PM
do you have a b or g network?

Flocito
11th October 2004, 12:25 PM
Sometimes wireless networks have problems working in homes through multiple walls and/or across multiple floors. One solution would be to move the location of your wireless base station to see if that helps. For example moving it to the base of the stairs or other places within the house. The second option would be to look into purchasing another access point that you could place upstairs.

Xv_raven_vX
11th October 2004, 12:34 PM
do you have a b or g network?

b, I think

Sometimes wireless networks have problems working in homes through multiple walls and/or across multiple floors. One solution would be to move the location of your wireless base station to see if that helps. For example moving it to the base of the stairs or other places within the house. The second option would be to look into purchasing another access point that you could place upstairs.

My dad doesn't want to go purchase anything because he's cheap like that. I was just wondering if there was a possibility of somehow amplifying the signal. There isn't another place to move it unless we re-situated our family room. Which is not an option.

Flocito
11th October 2004, 10:53 PM
My dad doesn't want to go purchase anything because he's cheap like that. I was just wondering if there was a possibility of somehow amplifying the signal. There isn't another place to move it unless we re-situated our family room. Which is not an option.

Ok, well since buying a repeater isn't an option for you I did some search around the web tonight and the following was the best I could find.

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=133267

In that thread they talk about building a parabolic antenna to increase the signal strength, but unfortunately their link doesn't work. A little bit of googling for "parabolic antenna" game be this link. (http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/wireless/page04.html) But again, it looks like not only doing some homebrew work, you'd also have to buy the components. :(

I then tried to search for "wireless parabolic antenna" and got this link. (http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/) It seems like a bit of a cheaper homebrew option, but still probably more complicated than just spending 30 or 40 bucks for a repeater.

So after all that, I guess my best suggestion would to be either move your wireless access point to improve it's strength upstairs or buy a repeater.

MCeley
12th October 2004, 06:08 AM
I have a bit of trouble with my network too and the signal of my G network doesn't cut out completely but it drops really low sometimes. It didn't make sense at first because the base station is like twenty feet away but then I got to thinkin. Could large appliances hinder with signal stregth? If anybody could answer this for me it would help very much. And it could answer the first guy's question.

Flocito
12th October 2004, 10:08 AM
I found this article (http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,63705,00.html) in Wired about XP dropping wireless connections. You didn't mention what OS you were running, buy if you are running XP maybe the solution at the bottom of this article could help you out.

Also, make sure you've updated your wireless router (if that's what you are using) to the latest firmware.

omega
12th October 2004, 12:13 PM
I have a bit of trouble with my network too and the signal of my G network doesn't cut out completely but it drops really low sometimes. It didn't make sense at first because the base station is like twenty feet away but then I got to thinkin. Could large appliances hinder with signal stregth? If anybody could answer this for me it would help very much. And it could answer the first guy's question.

Any appliances that have an electric motor will spew a lot of EMR into the air. This will interfere with wireless networks.

Appliances such as desk fans, blenders, microwaves, will all do this.

MCeley
13th October 2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah well between my computer and the router is a washer, dryer, 2 tvs, 2 dvd players, and another computer. I think that may be the problem since my brother has an awesome signal and there is only a tv between him and the router. Thanx.

Flocito
13th October 2004, 11:21 PM
You could also try logging into your wireless router and changing the wireless channel. There should be 11 to choose from. It could be possible that a different channel wont have as much interference and therefore you won't get as many drops.

MCeley
14th October 2004, 05:02 AM
I try to keep it on channel six cuz it works the best with a b device i have. If i change the channel on it then it doesnt work too good with the PS2 network adapter so thats not an option for me. But i turned off some of the electrical devices and my signal got a bit stronger so thanx for the help. :biggrin:

Xv_raven_vX
17th October 2004, 12:06 PM
I try to keep it on channel six cuz it works the best with a b device i have. If i change the channel on it then it doesnt work too good with the PS2 network adapter so thats not an option for me. But i turned off some of the electrical devices and my signal got a bit stronger so thanx for the help. :biggrin:

Yeah it's always on channel 6. Do you mean any electrical device? Sterios, TV's etc?

Does anyone know if I can just add onto the antennae? Like, make it longer? I don't want to screw it up and end up having to buy a new one.

Burner
17th October 2004, 02:19 PM
Depending on what wireless AP your using you may be able to replace the antenna with after market ones, if you can screw off the included antenna you probibly can replace them. Another thing to consider as a potential source of interference is wireless phones in your house. They may or may not be on similar ferquencies as the wireless network but you might want to try changing the channel that they are on if you have any.