PDA

View Full Version : BB Tags

Marushia
22nd November 2005, 12:15 PM
I was just wondering what language(s) do you use if you want to make more BB tags for a site in addition to the regular default ones. For instance, I know Carnage has created the OOC tag and, I think, the sum and integral tags as well.

Also, if possible, could someone give me an example of such a code? Maybe Carnage, you could show me what one of these other ones you made looks like so I can get an idea?

I know most hosts accept HTML, Java, and Javascript with some even accepting PHP and MySQL. I know mine at least has the first three.

Flocito
22nd November 2005, 12:28 PM
What forum software are you running? Normally on the forum software's website in the documentation they have a good description on how to add BB tags. For example with vbulletin you can go here (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/) and and learn about the BB Code Manager which allows the adding of custom BB codes.

Next please include some of the more important information in your post, like which forum software you are using. It will make it easier for people to help you.

Marushia
22nd November 2005, 12:33 PM
Um, not exactly sure if this is what you're asking for, but I'm currently running an IFB (invisionfreeboard).

And what "more important information" are you looking for, exactly?

Flocito
22nd November 2005, 01:03 PM
Um, not exactly sure if this is what you're asking for, but I'm currently running an IFB (invisionfreeboard).

And what "more important information" are you looking for, exactly?The stuff you just supplied is the more important information. Each forum handles things differently so how are we supposed to help you create custom BB codes when you don't even share what forum software you are running. So did you follow my advice given in the first post about checking out IFB's documentation to see if they even support custom BB codes? Did you go search their support forums? Or is this a typical GUA post where one just expects other people to do the grunt work and find the solution for them?

Let's see a quick google search led me to IFB's homepage, which I then clicked on support. A nice big link took me to their support/user forums and there was a whole forum dedicated to "General Usage". Third thread was titled in some sort of cryptic manner with the words "BB Codes" Chances are you could post there and the people that actually code the forum software could answer you question about whether or not custom BB Codes are supported and if so how they can be created.

Another shot would be to try the FAQ wher there is a thread about hacks (http://support.invisionfree.com/index.php?showtopic=4519) which says they are not supported and if you wanted to have added features you should request them in the features forum. They also have a coding support forum that you can ask questions about where to add code.

If you have a question about IFB then why not seach there for your solution? Chances are they know the topic pretty good and could help you out.

Marushia
22nd November 2005, 01:23 PM
So did you follow my advice given in the first post about checking out IFB's documentation to see if they even support custom BB codes?

If I found something there, I wouldn't even have made this thread.

Did you go search their support forums?

Yes, I did and I was basically ignored on all my requests for help and I found no other threads or support help there. Heck, even to have someone just say, "no, you can't make more" would have been fine, but I didn't even get that.

Third thread was titled in some sort of cryptic manner with the words "BB Codes"

Unless I'm mistaken, that just lists the default BB Tags available. I'll double check anyways.

EDIT - Just as I thought, it only lists the default tags.

Another shot would be to try the FAQ wher there is a thread about hacks which says they are not supported and if you wanted to have added features you should request them in the features forum.

Yeah, I think I'm more familiar with their support forum than you. The FAQ simply states that there is a separate forum for making help requests and that those kind of requests are not to be made in the FAQ section.

They also have a coding support forum that you can ask questions about where to add code.

Like I said, I kept getting shrugged off which means it either can't be done or no one knows, of which I haven't heard either. So then, I figured maybe someone here could help me, someone like Carnage whom I know for a fact has programmed his own tags. If you don't know how to do it or can't pull up a sample, then please, you're not helping me here.

If you have a question about IFB then why not seach there for your solution? Chances are they know the topic pretty good and could help you out.

I've answered that at least twice now.

Flocito
22nd November 2005, 02:37 PM
If I found something there, I wouldn't even have made this thread.
I doubt it.

Yes, I did and I was basically ignored on all my requests for help and I found no other threads or support help there. Heck, even to have someone just say, "no, you can't make more" would have been fine, but I didn't even get that.
Really? Do you have a link to the thread where you asked the question? Did no one respond?

Unless I'm mistaken, that just lists the default BB Tags available. I'll double check anyways.

EDIT - Just as I thought, it only lists the default tags.
And would be a GREAT place to post your question in regards to custom BB Codes.

Yeah, I think I'm more familiar with their support forum than you. The FAQ simply states that there is a separate forum for making help requests and that those kind of requests are not to be made in the FAQ section.
Did you make the request in the said forum? Did you get a response? I find it hard to believe that you were completely ignored.

Like I said, I kept getting shrugged off which means it either can't be done or no one knows, of which I haven't heard either. So then, I figured maybe someone here could help me, someone like Carnage whom I know for a fact has programmed his own tags. If you don't know how to do it or can't pull up a sample, then please, you're not helping me here.
Did you e-mail an admin or PM one there? I just think you don't want to do the leg work. As for the BB codes here, we are running vbulletin so it's real easy to make custom BB codes using their manager.

I've answered that at least twice now.Not until the last post you hadn't. And even then your answers were pretty weak with just a moaning and whining about how everyone ignores you. However, I doubt it's much of a stretch to say that if you registered over there and made a post you'd get the answers you seek. None of which I believe you've done.

Added:

To use the search forum you need to register, so since I had some time over lunch today I did. I then searched for "custom bb codes"

http://support.invisionfree.com/index.php?showtopic=31344
Hmm...that looks like a good thread that not only gives you a few custom codes written already, but gives you a good example of how to write your own if you know the HTML for what you would like to accomplish.

Marushia
22nd November 2005, 03:53 PM
Really? Do you have a link to the thread where you asked the question? Did no one respond?

I have support tickets, made in my Admin CP which I can't show you, and then a couple other threads. People responded, but didn't answer my question and then the threads died before I got my answer, I even bumped the threads a few times.

Apparently, no one was interested in helping or, as I said, didn't know.

Btw, if you didn't know, support tickets lead directly to the staff support forums and generally get answered in a snap.

Did you make the request in the said forum? Did you get a response? I find it hard to believe that you were completely ignored.

Flocito, I made the threads in the proper place, followed all proper procedures ... I too am completely baffled that no one will help me with this. And, as I said, if you're not going to help me, then PLEASE STOP WASTING MY TIME!!

Did you e-mail an admin or PM one there? I just think you don't want to do the leg work.

Hmm, that's about the only thing I didn't do, but I'm not sure who they are. Though, like I said, support tickets lead to Staff Only sections, so it's almost the equivalent.

Still, if I find out who they are, I'll PM them.

As for the BB codes here, we are running vbulletin so it's real easy to make custom BB codes using their manager.

Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't help me at all since I'm not using VB, I'm using IFB.

However, I doubt it's much of a stretch to say that if you registered over there and made a post you'd get the answers you seek. None of which I believe you've done

Fine, I'll show you.

http://support.invisionfree.com/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getalluser&mid=75991

There's a list of all the threads that I've started, not counting the ones I posted in who had the same problem (and were also ignored). I've got 111 posts, all dated, and I haven't been on in at least a week or two, so if that's not proof I've been doing this leg-work you claim I'm not, I don't know what is.

And also, it doesn't count support tickets.

To use the search forum you need to register, so since I had some time over lunch today I did. I then searched for "custom bb codes"

http://support.invisionfree.com/ind...showtopic=31344
Hmm...that looks like a good thread that not only gives you a few custom codes written already, but gives you a good example of how to write your own if you know the HTML for what you would like to accomplish.

I've seen that before and I've read through it. Doesn't help me, really. Doesn't tell me how I'd go about making my own, it's merely a member's hack that they made (which doesn't even work, last I recall) for a couple features that, personally, I don't really want.

(I don't even know what scripting language that is)

Flocito
22nd November 2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, but this doesn't help me at all since I'm not using VB, I'm using IFB.
No shit sherlock. Really? The point being that Carnage does coding for THIS FORUM which IS NOT IFB and therefore might not be able to help you since adding custom BB codes for VB is a lot easier than for IFB. Read the part I quoted in my response.

Fine, I'll show you.

http://support.invisionfree.com/index.php?act=Search&CODE=getalluser&mid=75991

There's a list of all the threads that I've started, not counting the ones I posted in who had the same problem (and were also ignored). I've got 111 posts, all dated, and I haven't been on in at least a week or two, so if that's not proof I've been doing this leg-work you claim I'm not, I don't know what is.
So one thread (http://support.invisionfree.com/index.php?showtopic=191071&hl=) that was never bumped and viewed by only 27 people. You should try bumping it again to see if you can get a response. Linking all your other threads is irrelavent to this discussion since they have nothing to do with BB Codes.

I've seen that before and I've read through it. Doesn't help me, really. Doesn't tell me how I'd go about making my own, it's merely a member's hack that they made (which doesn't even work, last I recall) for a couple features that, personally, I don't really want.

(I don't even know what scripting language that is)In the thread it says it's written in javascript and that it's working for people. Also it's a template where you can add the HTML for the features that you want so that you could code them up and add them to your forum.

Tau
22nd November 2005, 05:08 PM
BB tags are really just aliases to a chunk of html (or javascript if you want to take it that far).

You merely tell it what you want the tag to be, then what the html is that will be used where that tag appears.

Generally you supply a parameter, and an optional option. You read these in in the form param. You can refer to these in the html.

Best option: RTFM.

Carnage
22nd November 2005, 06:45 PM
Basically as has already been said you should consult documenation etc. On vb for example, there is an area in the admin cp where you can add custom tags. On other fourms you have to edit the code manually in invision free the latter deffinatly isn't possible since you dont have access to the code. (or didn't last time i used one)

and closed, since this has turned into a debate on how ivf deals with support requests and is somewhat off topic ;)