PDA

View Full Version : Modem and Soundcard

brainsofmayhem
6th October 2004, 02:13 AM
This is a PC Tech Support Question:

My computer wont detect my modem - ergo it wont install the driver or connect to the net. Sounds simple enough, right? But nothing is working, no detection, no selecting from a list, no nothing!

Plus my soundcard is also not being detected :S

I recently formatted it all and reinstalled XP pro, since then, i havent been able to find my modem!

Flocito
6th October 2004, 10:20 AM
First, what type of modem is it? This would allow us to go to the manufacturer's website to see if their are any known issues with WinXP.

Second, is the soundcard onboard or offboard?

Lastly, have you tried to plug the modem into a different PCI slot to see if "Plug-and-Play" works with it in a new slot? Sometimes for "Plug-and-Play" to recognize "new" hardware you need to remove the card from the slot and move it to a new one. You can also remove it from the slot, power up the system, power down the system, insert the card back into the slot, and then power up the system again.

brainsofmayhem
6th October 2004, 02:40 PM
1) Im not sure of the make, my sister bought it as a package and cant remember what model/make it is, when i try changing the PCI slot, i will see if the name is on the modem itself

2) The soundcard is onboard

Shinji
6th October 2004, 09:05 PM
or you can tried to let XP detect the Moderm and Soundcard by going to:

Control Panel->System->hardware tab->Device Manager. In the device manager click on the Action botton(Top left hand corner) and then click on "Scan for Hardware Changes".

This will detect newly installed hardwares or hardwares that Xp didn't see.

If the moderm and soundcard is found then right click on the moderm and the soundcard in the drop list and select update driver. (one at a time)

brainsofmayhem
7th October 2004, 03:15 PM
brainsofmayhem is not a computer n00b! :P I already tried that Shinji...not luck :(

Flocito
11th October 2004, 12:29 PM
Is this still a problem or did you get it fixed brainsofmayhem?