PDA

View Full Version : Books Dune: The Machine Crusade

Terra
4th September 2004, 06:51 PM
(Note: I will be using spoilers inside here, so if you don't want it spoiled, don't read it. Simple?)

Seeing as how it's been out for a good while, I'd say that a fair bit of people have been able to read it. Incase you don't know, it was written by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson as a prequel to Frank Herbert's original 6 Dune books, which unfortunately, were not finished because of his untimely death. It is the second in a trilogy, which is supposed to cover the Butlerian Jihad, a major event in the Dune Universe.

Anyways, I thought it was a very good book, with the exception of the ending. It almost seemed as if they were in a rush to kill characters just for the hell of it. Xavier's death robbed us of two major characters, the second's name I can't remember at the moment, even though he's one of my favourites. Hell, the death of Hectate single handedly took out 4 characters at once. Although I did like Serena's death, because I felt that that self important ***** had it coming to her.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing, but that's all I can remember right now.

mccoythelegend
6th September 2004, 03:12 PM
It was to make the next book suspenseful. With Hecate, that builder guy and Vorian all on the one side, they would have had the upper hand against agaememnon. Now Vorian is all alone in running the Jihad, and he has to kill his father at the end of the battle of Corrin. And interestingly at the same time, he must tarnish the memory of his best friend Xavier Harkonnen, so badly that in thousands of years time, the Harkonnens are evil butchers,and bring about the Kwisatz Haderach by exterminating Vorians own descendants. Kind of ironic.

The books themselves are quite good (better than the other trilogy they did), as its not set in stone the way the story has to go.

Dune 7 is looking good though. Any bets that the Evil enemy chasing the Honoured Matres and the upgraded Bene Tleilaxu accross the universe is the Omnius probe that was sent from the planet that no one knew about? It would be funny if after 15000 years mans greatest enemy returns. And its a bloody computer.

Scaramanga
7th September 2004, 09:03 AM
No wager there, that was exactly the thought that occurred to me when I read it.

mccoythelegend
8th September 2004, 11:02 AM
It did seem a bit obvious. What would be really good is if Omnius won. Though I have a feeling that with dozens of new "Dunes" created at the end of chapterhouse, and mankind scattered everywhere by the immensely sensible God Emperor, Omnius could never get all of them.

At first I didn't like the new books, but they actually make the whole story better. And hopefully complete.

elminster
8th September 2004, 05:54 PM
Haha.. i remember this book... it was kinda thick.. got it but i didnt manage to get through in... damn, its still lying on the shelf.

Wait... is this about the first one or the second book?

mccoythelegend
9th September 2004, 09:54 AM
Its about the prequel series itself.

Majin Othiym
10th September 2004, 12:24 AM
I love Dune but have yet to really read the books havnt had the time to sit down and read the books, but from what a friend of mine says i really should but he also fills me in on any empty spots

Terra
26th September 2004, 07:42 PM
Dune 7 is looking good though. Any bets that the Evil enemy chasing the Honoured Matres and the upgraded Bene Tleilaxu accross the universe is the Omnius probe that was sent from the planet that no one knew about? It would be funny if after 15000 years mans greatest enemy returns. And its a bloody computer.

Seeing the way Brian and Kevin are going, I wouldn't doubt it. Sadly though, I don't think that's the way it was meant to end. Seems a little too obvious, don't you think? Frank's original Dune universe never seemed to be that openly obvious. Never know though. Although I always like the thought that if there is an afterlife, I know what I'm going to be reading first.

mccoythelegend
1st October 2004, 09:20 AM
The third book in the trilogy - "the battle of Corrin" is mildly dissappointing. The Legendary titans act like dumbasses. The machine overmind starts acting very organic.

As for Dune 7, Frank Herbert already wrote an outline of it, that his son is alledgedly going to follow. Hopefully it wont have too much cod philosphy like God Emperor or Chapterhouse.