PDA

View Full Version : I/O problems

Rpg fan
1st October 2004, 12:08 PM
Okay, now I thought the [i/o error] was something that just had to do with my crappy software. But now I looked up on [system info] (windows 98), and I found out that at the [hardware resources --> i/o] everything is like......10doubled or something. I think I just cluttered the list in some weird way, because I reached the limit of installs or something [xFFF6 - xFFF6].

My mom wanted to install something that had ALWAYS been on the comp before, and gave her the exact same problem I had with my previous TWO webcams.

Now, it IS my computer. The thing is ; how do I solve it ? do I remove Windows98 ? do I have to format my comp again ? or is my computer just to fucked up to be save (say yes, it will give me a new excuse for a new comp :p)

omega
1st October 2004, 12:11 PM
Get rid of 98. Get windows 2000. And get a new computer while you're at it.

I'd say it's reached the end of the line. It IS pretty old, after all. These things don't last forever.

More specifically, you can get those errors from faulty ram. Now, for the processor you're using, it's going to be quite hard - if at all possible - to source that hardware. So basically you're forced to upgrade.

Flocito
1st October 2004, 12:44 PM
Are you trying to say that all of your I/O resources are used up? I can't really decode the "everything is like......10doubled or something. I think I just cluttered the list in some weird way, because I reached the limit of installs or something [xFFF6 - xFFF6]." gibberish.

Are you trying to say that you have multiple devices on the same IRQ resource? (http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-19.shtml) If you have some devices that are sharing IRQs then they might be in conflict. You could disable one of the devices and see if that fixes your problem. With Win98 there was a lot of issues when you had a lot of devices hooked up to your box (ie Scanner, webcam, camera, gamepad, ....) With Win2K and WinXP they handle these things a lot better.

The easiest is of course to buy a new computer with a better OS, but you can probably still make things work on your current computer. It's just a matter of how much you want to work with it and how much patience you have. I would be willing to offer advice if you posted your IRQ log so I could see what you have hooked up to your box. The simplest thing to do might be to disable some of the cards you have in your PCI slots that you don't need. For example a modem if you are on hi-speed internet, or a LAN card if you are on a modem. This would free up one IRQ and might let your webcam take it and not have a conflict.

omega
1st October 2004, 01:03 PM
it's the I/O ports he's having issues with, not IRQs

the PCI bus has IRQ "sharing" anyway, and he's got a p3-450

Flocito
1st October 2004, 02:01 PM
it's the I/O ports he's having issues with, not IRQs

the PCI bus has IRQ "sharing" anyway, and he's got a p3-450
I/O Port conflicts and IRQ conflicts can be related sometimes. For example if he's using the PCI slot next to the AGP slot sometimes you will get conflicts in Win98. The original poster's description of the problem was not very clear and so I was merely suggesting something else he could look into.

I'm not sure why you included the PIII-450 comment, since I'm not sure how that information is useful, except to show that his computer is old.

omega
1st October 2004, 02:16 PM
yeah, it's very old. Age could very well factor into the problem's he's having.

Fair point on the conflicts in 98, it's just been so damn long since i've used it, heh.

In any case, he needs to upgrade.

Flocito
1st October 2004, 02:26 PM
Granted, yes an upgrade is by FAR the best solution, but since I'm not aware of his financial status I'm not going to suggest it as my #1 choice. Win98 has a lot of problems with it, which is why if I remember correctly MS has EOL (End of Life) the product and is not longer supporting it.

I remember having lots of problems with I/O conflicts and IRQ conflicts and crap like that when I'd get too many cards pluged into the PCI bus, or if I was trying to connect up too many devices over the COMM ports. Let me just say, I'm happy to be running XP Pro now and not having to worry about that stuff anymore.

Rpg fan
2nd October 2004, 05:04 AM
Sorry, I just gave out info just in case.

What I meant by the "10doubled" comment, was that when I check at the I/O screen, I first see like, 20 normal things names and stuff, nothing out of the ordinairy, but when I slide down the screen, I get hundreds of "alliasses" and stuff, some having the same name as others but with a different starting code.

Now I need to know, can I remove those ? I mean, its bullshit not to be able to remove it. Would a format remove it ? because basically it sucks not being able to install stuff anymore.

omega
3rd October 2004, 08:14 AM
Screenshots would definitely help here (with translation where appropriate, if appropriate)

Rpg fan
3rd October 2004, 09:33 AM
I cant upload a good detailed screenshot because it would exceeds the max upload limit. Ill create one and send it over irc or something then

omega
3rd October 2004, 10:21 AM
can you host it on a webpage somewhere?

Also, try saving it as a gif file. Screenshots of applications like task manager compress really well with rgb encoding.

Rpg fan
3rd October 2004, 02:09 PM
ok I sent it to your email, what do you think of it ? to me its weird. its like everything installed itself a hundred times over and over again :S

omega
4th October 2004, 04:08 AM
Oh, haha, I see what you mean. No, usually hardware will use a few different ranges of I/O ports, much in the same way as internet explorer might use winsock ports 13166,7,8,9, all the way to 13243* just to load a single webpage.

(* these are random numbers, the number itself is not significant except to show it is a temporary port, in other words >1024)

It's always possible that your two previous webcams didn't uninstall properly, so two pieces of hardware are trying to use the same I/O ports - that means you'll get conflicts.

My mom wanted to install something that had ALWAYS been on the comp before, and gave her the exact same problem I had with my previous TWO webcams.

I assume that means this thing your mom wanted to install was hardware?

Have a look in device manager, and see what hardware is still on that list that isn't in your computer anymore - it could be a network card, a sound card you replaced, anything. It could even be an on-board video card that hasn't been disabled in your BIOS.

Rpg fan
4th October 2004, 05:17 AM
Omega, I never install hardware. The last time hardware was installed was a year ago or something. The two webcams werent plugged in yet, I wanted to put the software on first.

And what my mom tried to install was a program, not hardware, thats the weird thing =/

Flocito
4th October 2004, 12:40 PM
Omega, I never install hardware. The last time hardware was installed was a year ago or something. The two webcams werent plugged in yet, I wanted to put the software on first.

And what my mom tried to install was a program, not hardware, thats the weird thing =/
You tried to install the webcam software before plugging in the webcam? Why not try plugging in the webcam, install the drivers, and then install the software? I'm not sure what webcam you are using or software you are trying install, but it might me looking for the hardware before it can correctly complete the installation.