PDA

View Full Version : good free forums.

Darkstar_
28th September 2004, 04:35 PM
Okay i would like to know if there is anywhere to find a good free forum that is already hosted. No coding involved really, easy to use, looks nice and clean.

Here are the ones i have used already so don't try and pawn them off on me:
Proboards (shit.)
GOLIATH (shit.)
InvisionFree (not to much. More like a trial offer.)
Invision Power Board (not too customizable with the skins. Good though would like to have another version of this where i can mess with the skins.)
free phpbb (don't like the admin features.)

I am open to anything that you have to offer. Maybe free hosting off of your site with a nice free board. (If you are that nice.) Or just a good all around free board. Because i am a cheap bastard.

omega
29th September 2004, 01:29 AM
You won't get anything hosted for free that's anywhere close to decent. Stop being cheap, because you get what you pay for.

Either that or set phpBB2 up locally.

ladymage
29th September 2004, 10:03 AM
This webhosting company allows you to set up a board on your website. Really cheap too.
About ~36.00 a year for hosting & you can go to godaddy.com and get a cheap doman < 10$. Which that is preety scwheet. Anywoo. I've had them for about a month and they haven't been sucky nor has my site ever been down.

So far they have been really cool. :mario:

Darkstar_
29th September 2004, 04:22 PM
You won't get anything hosted for free that's anywhere close to decent. Stop being cheap, because you get what you pay for.

Either that or set phpBB2 up locally.
I am cheap i have no money. I was just wondering. Possibly also for other people that aren't rolling in them dollah bills if they could use a good place to have a good forum for free.

there is the phpbb site that allows you to host a forum on their forum. It works pretty well actually and it is free.

iwishiknew
29th September 2004, 06:54 PM
I like invisionfree alot as it is cheap (free) and allows for alot of adding on.

Phyrus
30th September 2004, 01:03 AM
free forums with harmless ads (eg: google ads) and alot of compatibility with forum functions and control etc, the best one i can think of that ive used myself is invisionfree, proboards are stinjy with admin controls and accessiblity, phpbb im sure you can run for free but rather complicated to know how to install it and get it up onto the net if you dont know what youre doing/dont know what to do.

omega
30th September 2004, 01:09 AM
phpbb is quite simple to install if you have mysql and php set up already. Which are also not hard to install (download file, ./configure, make, make install)

all it is is unzipping a file into a folder on your webserver. Then you're pretty much done - just visit the url you unzipped it to, tell it what the database name, login and pass are, and you're done.

Memento Mori
30th September 2004, 01:45 AM
You could always mooch off of Tau.

seto_girl
30th September 2004, 05:45 AM
Well, why dont you just go with clickdev then? I mean, it is a good free forum, with in-built rpg, shop and i use it. ^^;; why not clickdev?

proboards I used to use, it is rubbish now

Azrael
30th September 2004, 06:53 AM
I'm with omega on this one, stop being stingy. I went years with the spend no money montra. What do I have to show for it? Shit. Spend a little money, there are alot of companies out there that will host and install a phpbb board or invision for very low costs. Or heck, take the leap and learn xhtml, php, and mysql. It's not that complicated, I learned PHP in less then a month.

Darkstar_
30th September 2004, 01:00 PM
see the fact is Azreal I HAVE NO MONEY. If i had fucking money i would spend it on stuff like this. But one. I have no way of getting a job other than cutting grass and that pays 20$ every two weeks. Two. My parents are very weary on making transactions over the internet. I don't why, i could reassure them as much as i want that they wont get ripped, but they are stubborn.

White_Hindu
30th September 2004, 03:19 PM
I've used lots of phpBB and phpBB2 boards, it is easy and effective(and cheap).

Phyrus
30th September 2004, 08:42 PM
see the fact is Azreal I HAVE NO MONEY. If i had fucking money i would spend it on stuff like this. But one. I have no way of getting a job other than cutting grass and that pays 20$ every two weeks. Two. My parents are very weary on making transactions over the internet. I don't why, i could reassure them as much as i want that they wont get ripped, but they are stubborn.

alright alright settle down... either you can stick to omega's advice, or if you dont want to fiddle with mysql, use invisionfree.

Silver lady
5th October 2004, 12:21 PM
IF is about to upgrade too, so there is no telling what will be out there! but as they are free, why not, after all you could always upgrade if/when you can afford it. The object of the excercise surely is to get your site up and running?

whirlwind
6th October 2004, 11:42 AM
I would say dispite that fact you dont like it .. use invision free.. its the best free one out there that is pre-hosted, and you can put on bundles of add-ons!

Legendary
6th October 2004, 03:07 PM
yeah. invision free provides a lot more freedom than sites like proboards, which limit the amount of options an admin has to change the look and feel of the boards. Its really easy to turn a regular invision blue site to really nifty forums with, say, a movie background, or whatever you want.

omega
6th October 2004, 11:12 PM
If you want to run a decent forum, you're going to have to pay for it. End of story.

Otherwise you're trying to drive a car that doesn't have an engine.

Ballbreaker
24th April 2009, 04:07 AM
If you want it as easy as possible, you can add something like Forumotion to your site under a subdomain. It is actually hosted remotely, but they let you set up a CNAME to their servers so it looks just like part of your site.

http://www.forumotion.com

Flocito
24th April 2009, 11:29 AM
It didn't occur to you that this thread is 4 and a half years old? Really?