Review by Swordsplay

Genre: Role Playing/First Person Shooter
Produced by: Revolution Studios
Year: 2002
Platform: GameCube
Rating: T (Teen)

Background Info:

(On back of video game case):

"Evil waits below the surface: Something sinister lurks in the depths of planet Tallon IV. Interstellar bounty hunter Samus Atan is the only one who can destroy this evil...But first it must be found."

Gameplay: 8 out of 10 - The game is great, and the length is good. The first time you play it, it should take you anywhere from 16 to 28 hours to complete of total gameplay. I picked the game up on the first day it came out in 2002 and finished it in about 6 - 8 weeks. The game incorporates the first person shooter camera angle that is really cool and lets you see what Samus sees through her helmet. All the beam weapons have infinite ammo so you don't have to worry about running out. Every other weapon requires ammunition, so you need to conserve it as much as possible. The variety of different weapons both have their strengths and weaknesses, so you need to know which one to use in the proper situations. You can upgrade your energy capacity, your suit, missiles, and your visor to make you much more deadly. As for the enemies, they are pretty darn smart and can be extremely intelligent by sneaking up behind you, hiding in the shadows, and they also know how to sniff you out of a hiding place. Depending which weapon you use on whatever you are fighting, it can kill them really fast if you find it's weakness, or really slow if they are resistant to it.

Graphics: 5 out of 5 - The graphics are top of the line with this game, you can even see the ripples in the water. Every place in the game is very beautiful. Places include a lava pit, underground facility, a beautiful forest, the beautiful overworld, a place full of ice - snow - and beautifu, along with a crater. It even rains in the game and snows. You can see the rain drops bounce off of Samus's arm cannon. Very cool.

Sound & music: 4 out of 5 - The music sometimes get annoying depending where you are, however, there are tons of places where the music is beautiful and sounds incredible.

Level Design: 5 out of 5 - The "levels" are massive and take a lot to explore 100% of the area, because some areas you have to come back to with the proper weapon(s) to continue.

Replayability: 5 out of 5 - After playing this game, it makes you want to play again and again and again, because every time you beat it with different results, you get extra goodies and items you couldn't before. See my metroid prime thread for details.

Story/plotline: 8 out of 10 - The story/plotline is incredible, however, there seems to be something missing. Yet, don't worry, it's not much at all.

Overall: 8.5/10 - Veryy well worth it.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Review by Swordsplay

Genre: Role Playing/First Person Shooter
Produced by: Revolution Studios
Year: 2004
Platform: GameCube
Rating: T (Teen)

Background Info:

(On back of video game case):

"A war of light and darkness: Become the bouty hunter behind the visor once more! Hunted by a mysterious entity and a warring race called the Ing. Samus Aran must explore the light and dark worlds of a doomed planet. But times runs short."

Gameplay: 10 out of 10 - The game is great, and the length is much more than the first. The first time you play it, it should take you anywhere from 8 to 32 hours to complete of total gameplay on the sequel. I picked the game up on the first day it came out in 2004 and finished it in about 10 - `2 weeks. The game incorporates the first person shooter camera angle again. All the beam weapons need ammo to use except your main one, so use them wisely. Every other weapon (like missiles) also requires ammunition, so you need to conserve it as much as possible that as well. The variety of different weapons both have their strengths and weaknesses like last time. You can upgrade your energy capacity, your suit, missiles, and your visor to make you much more deadly in this version as well. Also, the sequel has a lot more upgrades then the first one. As for the enemies, they are much smarter than the other ones in the first game.

Graphics: 5 out of 5 - The graphics are top of the line with this game, you can even see the ripples in the water. Every place in the game is very beautiful just like last time. Places include a swamp, a giant fortress, a swamp, and TWO beautiful overworlds.

Sound & music: 5 out of 5 - Sound is much better in the sequel, you will see what I mean.

Level Design: 5 out of 5 - The "levels" are much more massive in this one, since there are two overworlds and take a lot longer than the previous one to explore 100% of the area.

Replayability: 5 out of 5 - After playing this game, it makes you want to play again and again and again, because every time you beat it with different results, you get extra goodies and items you couldn't before, just like the previou one. See my metroid prime thread for more details on this as well.

Story/plotline: 10 out of 10 - Wow, so much better than the last time.

Overall: 10/10 - A gamecube is nothing without this game.

Brak
9th February 2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah i agree with your review. I loved Metriod Prime especially the multiplayer aspect of it. I loved in the actual game how the graphics were so well made and that you get to see Samus in awesome environments.

Nihilist
9th February 2006, 04:21 PM
These games are in my opinion the best games ever made. I know that's a lot to say but they're both so unique from other games and provide something never quite captured in a single game before

PyroTox
10th February 2006, 01:35 PM
Gah! No! I couldn't stand Metroid Prime. Backtracking through the same areas about 400 times didn't appeal to me. The "atmosphere" it claimed to have actually made it boring. And a sparse amount save points were extremely annoying. But, of course, this is all IMO.