PDA

View Full Version : Game Review: GBA: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

welsknight
4th May 2005, 10:44 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Genre: Strategy/RPG
Produced by: Square Enix
Year: 2003
Console: GameBoy Advance, GameBoy Advance SP (this is the same game as FF Tactics released for PS... but I'm using GBA release dates)

Background: The game begins in St. Ivalice, a town in the real world, during winter. Marche, a new kid in town, quickly becomes friends with a tough redheaded girl named Ritz and a shy, picked-on boy named Mewt. Mewt buys an extremely old book, and shares it with his friends. The book plunges them into the world of Final Fantasy... In Ivalice, the land created by the book's powers, Marche befriends Monteblanc, a perky Moogle. Together, they set out to restore Ivalice to its old form... but Ritz and Mewt each have their own reasons for staying. Will Marche's friends help him, or try to stop him on his quest?

Gameplay: 9 out of 10 - The gameplay for FFTA is fun and engaging; however, it gets repetitive. The game also goes on. And on. And on. And on. (I know people who've played 300+ hours and still not gotten everything.) It's a typical strategy RPG gameplay, where you get new items and weapons, and equip them to your various party members. Characters grow in stats depending on their class, and you can change a character to a different class depending on the skills he/she has learned. The storyline is deep and interesting, and the long cut scenes often leave you wanting more. You really get to know your characters in this game.

Graphics: 5 out of 5 - This game has very good graphics for the GBA, and you really get a feel for the enviroment. Most of the battle animations are unbelievably good, and as I said earlier, the cut scenes leave you wanting more. The graphics give this game a very smooth feeling, and really let your imagination run wild. Also, the way they animated all the different races so that they fit into their class, but you can still tell at a glance what race they are, was very nice.

Sound & music: 3 out of 5 - Sound and music are good; however, it also gets repetitive. The same music is played for pretty much all the random battles, and a lot of the moves have the same sound effects. However, the sound quality is good, and the music and sound effects set the mood nicely... until you get annoyed by it.

Level Design: 4 out of 5 - The missions are simple and easy to understand. It gets rather repetitive, but it's still fun. I liked the way terrain fits in to your strategy. (For example, you can't fire a bow and hit someone if there's something blocking the trajectory.) If you attack from higher ground, your attack will pack more power; also, if you are standing on lower ground, you will be damaged more by your enemy's attacks. Also, you can't attack if you're standing in water, and neither can your opponents. The use of terrain really makes you plan out your strategy carefully.

The "Other" Factor: 5 out of 5 - This game has something "other"... something you can't really describe, something that grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go... I found myself sitting in school and thinking of this game... and on the bus... For a very long time, I lived and breathed FFTA. That's why I give this game a 5 out of 5 for the "Other" Factor.

Replayability: 5 out of 5 - All good RPG's have great replay value. FFTA is no exception. (Going back, and getting every item, etc...) However, FFTA may have them all beat. FFTA has a class system based on skills, race, and your personal preference that makes every game unique. You can play based on spells, and then the next game play leaning more on physical attacks. Or, you can change your strategy in the middle of the game.

Overall Score: 31 out of 35

Other Comments: This game just simply rocks. It ruled my life for a very long time... I couldn't get enough of it. It gets old, eventually, like any game, but it has awesome replay value... It'll take a LONG time before you get bored with this game. I definately got my money's worth. Even though I've owned this game for quite a while, I still play it a lot, and I still haven't grown tired of it. I'll never even consider selling this game, I like it so much. Everyone who has a GBA should own this game. End of story.