PDA

View Full Version : investigate hackings

TyroniusRex
16th April 2005, 01:18 AM
I think the administrators should make a serious effort to catch and ban, at the very least, people who hack into the accounts of other players. I know they are doing nothing in this area currently, and it only encourages others to engage in that activity, because there is no punishment for doing it. It is ruining and has ruined the game for many, and it would be so easy to catch them. All they would have to do is access the hacked account and see who they were sold off to, and what the IP address of the hacker is. But they don't bother!

eth
16th April 2005, 05:18 AM
Well, considering the number of players on KoC, do you really think it is that easy? It is more difficult to accuse someone of hacking than to accuse someone of robbing the bank. About the IP address, you could be playing the game from anywhere, your home, school, internet cafes, anywhere. Now, how would you like to be accused of hacking into your own account? Its not that easy.

TyroniusRex
16th April 2005, 08:55 AM
When someone's account is hacked, they know it. You make it sound as if there would be some confusion about whether you can tell if it has happened or not. It is much like investigating a burglary. First it is reported, then someone goes and looks at the evidence; simple. It only takes a few minutes to get the answers, and someone in administration who cares enough to take those few minutes. Are you suggesting that because there are so many hackers and cheaters they can't possibly check into any of them?

And if your account gets sold off by a hacker, wouldn't you suspect that the account receiving it is guilty? Do you think it would just be a random coincidence? Sorry to disagree, but it IS easy. Admins are just lazy/uncaring, I think.

eth
16th April 2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, look you totally messed up what I wanted to say in the first place. I dont wanna say thats its impossible, but there are people who just keep stacking their turns. They dont play for a week or two. If during this time, if someone hacks your account, you dont know about it and if you dont know about it, you cant report it, if you cant report it, the admins wont know it, and if the admins dont know anything, they cant act and so on. So unless you realise youve been hacked, you cant act. So you need to be alert for any signs of mysterious sabotage, cos it would be real hard to tell from an excellent sab and a hack if the hacker eliminaes your armoury.

TyroniusRex
16th April 2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, you really have no idea, have you? I am talking about a computer hacking, not sabotage!
When you are sabbed, you will have intel logs to show it, plus they couldn't clean out your entire inventory undetected, come on. When you get hacked, you can't login to your account, because someone has accessed your account and changed the login info; they STEAL your account! Then they do a complete selloff to their account, or to a dummy account which then sells off to them. That would include your guard dogs and grappliing hooks, which of course couldn't disappear through sabotage. Now, all that is in your logs, but it takes an admin to get into your account and check it. I don't know ANYBODY who doesn't login to their account for weeks at a time, as you suggest, either.

Having your account stolen really sucks and it is ruining the game. And I am talking about informing the admins immediately of the hacking and it has now been three weeks and not even a reply to my e-mails!

Manwiththeplan
16th April 2005, 05:21 PM
And if your account gets sold off by a hacker, wouldn't you suspect that the account receiving it is guilty? Do you think it would just be a random coincidence? Sorry to disagree, but it IS easy.

What happens if the selloff gets spotted by somebody else? Suddenly, you're going to get an innocent person banned because he was looking for gold at the same time a selloff was taking place. And since there is no difference between this account and a "dummy account" as you call it, the person receiving the selloff, unless from the same IP address, shouldn't get punished unless there's a lot more proof than just being in the right place at the right time.

All they would have to do is access the hacked account and see who they were sold off to, and what the IP address of the hacker is.

Did you read the reply made to this already? What happens if I'm just selling off from another computer? I'm going to get banned just for using more than one computer.

Besides, how does somebody just get their account stolen, anyways? Most (Not all, but the true cracking of accounts seems to be few and far between here.) of the "hacked" account cases I've seen have involved people giving away their passwords or their private e-mail addresses to others. I've never heard of somebody just getting their account stolen. There's always a reason. So, for the most part, if someone just loses their account, the admins shouldn't have to look into it, because most people bring it among themselves. Be thankful that at least the admins give accounts back, sometimes.

Swordmaster
17th April 2005, 01:36 AM
Let's say they decided to get IP adressess? They would have to keep that very confidential or else whoevers IP adress some1 finds computer's going to be hacked. Even if they do keep the IP adressess and dont tell anyone some1 whos a good hacker can hack in and get those files.