View Full Version : Computer locks up during certian games help please.

11th September 2004, 08:33 PM
Ok I wanted someones opinion on this matter. A few weeks ago whenever I would play games like Warcraft 3 or Dark Age of Camelot about anywhere from 20-30 minutes into playing the game my computer would just freeze. The only way to fix it would be to press button reboot. So I took panel off cpu to make sure everything was ok and when I looked at the graphics card the fan on it had stoped working. So I thought my grpahics card must be over heating so I put a large fan next to my cpu to try and keep it cool as I don't ahve the money to replace the card at this moment. This seemed to work well as I did not have any more lock ups until just a few days ago. What I want to know is this problem really being caused by my grpahics card over heating? When I removed the panel and touched the card when it locked up it was pretty hot to the touch, not being able to keep my fingers on it. Any help would be great.

11th September 2004, 08:36 PM
Who ever deleted my post. I have had to do that for over 4 months because I bought a card I needed and it never messed it up. Plus I was also talking temporarily untill he could find a better fix.

Ps again. What is your Graphics card and how much memory do you have on your computer?

I removed your post. It's, to be quite frank, a stupid thing to suggest. By doing it yourself instead of actually fixing the problem, odds are you've shaved a few years off the life of your card. Congrats, you wasted your parents money. -omega

11th September 2004, 08:41 PM
My graphics card is Gerforce 3Ti 200 128mb. I'm running on AMD Athlon 2100+.
I have taken the case off and let the fan blow straight onto the graphics card. That was one of the first things that I did and that seemed to work for about a week or so now its backing tolocking up.

11th September 2004, 08:44 PM
A desk fan is not going to do the same job as the fan on your graphics card.

If you had an FX card, it would probably be dead by now.

Get the fan replaced, or the whole card replaced. It's simple enough to get the fan replaced, if you got one of those geforce 3's which you could actually change the fan on - otherwise, yeah, should just replace the card.

PS: The heat it's generating (and which isn't dissipating properly) is headed straight up from the agp slot, directly to your cpu. Not good.

11th September 2004, 09:14 PM
To Kirby I have 512 ram and my graphics card is Geforce 3Ti 200 128.

11th September 2004, 09:38 PM
Ok thanks for the help cooler. Im probably going to get a new card when I get the money I just wanted to be sure that was it. Somone else told me from there
experiance that an overheating card would not lock up my system I would just get alot of artifats and that it was more than likely a processor problem I just wanted to be sure before i went to replace something.

12th September 2004, 05:51 AM
Ive got that sorta problem but it only does it to newer games, lets say the ones that need dx9 and they just freeze up after 2mins of playing em and the sound loops over and over again (yes omega these games are legal so plz help). I also have an FX card the 5700 256 MB. Some one told me it might be to do with the sound card and to get the latest drivers for it could this be, so im looking into that now but i dont know what brand it is.

12th September 2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah, sometimes you can solve things like jerkiness etc. by lowering your sound card acceleration by one notch through dxdiag.exe (start -> run)

Nonphixion: I've never experienced that. However since "artifacts" are generally created by MPEG and JPEG compression, how that applies to opengl environments is beyond me. The only thing I can think of that comes close is using JPEGs as textures, but that isn't exactly what you've been told. Video cards are like CPUs now - they'll slow down when they reach high temps. They'll even set off alarms, if your manufacturer-supplied software supports it. Believe it or not, manufacturers want you to actually get decent mileage out of their components, because if you switch brands mid-release season, you'll most likely stick with it for the next wave of "totally rockin in your face hardcore graphics cards".

If you can't get a new fan for it, get a new card. If the card is under warranty, get the warranty replacement. Other than that, you'll just have to buy a new card. They heat up an assload faster than their older components (Have you ever seen one of the heatsinks on a pentium processor? They're about the size of the heatsink on the latest mobo chipsets - which generally do not require cooling at all. That should give you some idea as to how much more heat our gear is generating these days.)

yes omega these games are legal so plz help

Don't ask, don't tell. It's the best way in this situation.

13th September 2004, 12:10 AM
The name of my sound card is a Yamaha Audio would any know the site for were i can get drivers for this sorta card?

John Basedow
13th September 2004, 12:28 AM
Tom's Hardware Guide has videos of what happens to games when you remove heatsinks from your CPU. The effect is dramatic and immediate. The video was to display how some Athlon chips don't have built-in failsafes to keep their CPUs from frying (either they weren't built with them or they didn't function correctly).

I give you this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

My little addition, I thought it was neat the way that they frivolously destroyed hundreds of dollars of computer equipment willy nilly!