PDA

View Full Version : General guide to keep your KoC accounts safe from hackers

lenino
27th March 2005, 12:57 PM
Written by ChickServ.

It has recently come to my attention that many people here complain about being hacked on KoC. It is for that reason that I have decided to write a general guide to being safe.
Simple rules to being safe:
People on the internet are NOT trustworthy; regardless of what you think. People that offer you free autobuyers, clickers that you've never heard of, massive amounts of clicks, adfree KoC game play, and other special ingame tools.
Don't use the same password for multiple related things. If you have to use the same password use it for something not related in any way. WF, SC's recruiter, any other recruiter, your KoC email address, your KoC account, THESE ARE ALL RELATED. Don't even use similar passwords for these.
Predictable passwords suck; people guess them. Make your password something obscure that only you would think of; like iM_A|n-uGlytW1t531 (translation I am an ugly twit). If you use your password in every day discussion it is a bad password, if you password has no numbers and symbols, it is a bad password.
Get multiple email addresses. Use one for formal stuff like forums and publishing articles, and use another one for stupid games like KoC. Do not use the same password for these 2 addresses.
Get a decent virus checker; as I'm fond of saying norton sucks ass, it doesn't find irc trojans which seem to be the fastest way you people are getting exploited. Get something like computer associates eTrust, clamwin, or even trendmicro.
Just because the software is on KaZaa or whatever p2p you use does not make it safe.
Just because 100 million people use p2p software networks does not mean they don't contain spyware; err on the side of caution and assume that it has spyware, the word "lite" means nothing.
Now if we all follow this guide I'm sure I'll get fewer complaints regarding "I GOT HACKED" and we'll all be much happier.

If you want to report a hacker, or another type of illgeal activities in KoC, read this (http://www.giveupalready.com/showpost.php?p=186477&postcount=2) post.
More information concerning hacks, or other relevant problems in the KoC community will be posted in the KoC Announcements (http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35) section by authorized GUA staff members.

If you have more doubts about this, PM one of the KOC forum staff[/url].