PDA

View Full Version : My XP is opening sooo slow

bega
17th March 2005, 04:40 AM
Well, I use a toshiba satellite centrino 1.5 40gb and 512mb ram, it used to open windows in 2 seconds but now it takes more than 15 minutes, (literally!) almost equal to the speed of a Celeron!

I was told that the slow opening problem might be because of the programs starting with start-up and the anti-virus program I am using. Well, when I downloaded that stuff, it was still opening in 1 minute and it was very reasonable.

Things got started when I dl.ed the Berdusk recruiter, it added an engine to my system and I removed them from the control pannel as it made my pc too slow. I checked my pc with several anti-virus, worm, trojan programs, used system mechanic and checked everything (and removed them also 'cos they didn't help), everything seems normal! Actually, the pc isn't slow once it is open!

What might be my problem? What should I do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Perad
17th March 2005, 11:00 AM
well there are several things which can be done to speed up xp.

First though check for spyware, use 2 or 3 different anti-spyware programs, its the same with your virus scanner, add a second one, there isn't a universal virus database, each one scans for all the ones it knows and the lists tend to vary.

Ok now assuming you don't have either of them, or you kill your viruses, run all the system tools, stuff like disk clean up and defrag. These will help your computer alot if you don't do them frequently. In all likelyness if it isn't a virus it is because you haven't defraged.

then there are a few things you can do to speed up overal speed. Go to start-Run and type in msconfig. Now click on start up. Scroll through the list and tick off old programs. Also remove stuff like messenger, you can easily start this by hand. By kicking programs off your start up list your comp will start faster and programs won't take up resources running in the background.

NOTE: DON'T JUST RANDOMLY DELETE STUFF, IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS YOU CAN, BUT JUST BECAUSE IT SOUNDS STRANGE IT MAY BE A SYSTEM PROGRAM. DON'T DELETE THEM!

Ok now moving on, right click on my computer and go to properties, go to advanced, then on performance... you can remove some of your looks and get a little speed boost.

if you are still slow it might be an idea to re-install xp, not only does it get all the crap off it, it feels like a new pc again.

Rpg
19th March 2005, 07:24 PM
This might sound weird, but unplug your scanner, and webcam (if you have either). I have a simular problem. I dont know if its the same, but in my case it helped.

bega
20th March 2005, 09:25 AM
then there are a few things you can do to speed up overal speed. Go to start-Run and type in msconfig. Now click on start up. Scroll through the list and tick off old programs. Also remove stuff like messenger, you can easily start this by hand. By kicking programs off your start up list your comp will start faster and programs won't take up resources running in the background.

Well, I am checking my PC with spyware when I am disconnected, but the thing is, once it is open, the computer is not slow at all. So, the only explanation left is the unnecessary load of programs in the start up... In fact, I did what Perad suggested and found out I have more than 20 programs begin with start up, some are important for the PC, but some I have not heard of. Therefore I don't want to delete anything myself, it can be something important. Would anyone help if I write the startup items here?

start -> Run -> msconfig -> start up:
jusched (something like a log?)
igfxtray
hkcmd
00THotkey
TFNF5
SmoothView
stacmon
Apoint
TouchED (touch ped for my laptop)
PadExe (something for laptop also)
LTSMMSG
TPSMain
TFncKy
PRONoMgr
Inicio (panda antivirus)
APVXDWIN (also panda)
tfswctrl
qttask
ctfmon
Microsoft Office One Note
Microsoft Office
Power Reg Scheduler

Rpg
20th March 2005, 10:44 AM
I suggest you use another spyware remover. Hotkey for example, is a spyware program. I'd recommend you to use both spyware search and destroy, and adaware (or if possible, download hitmanpro from hitmanpro.nl, it thoroughly cleans your pc from any possible spyware.

Perad
20th March 2005, 11:19 AM
The ones in red can be removed with no conseqences...

igfxtray
hkcmd
00THotkey
TFNF5
SmoothView
stacmon
Apoint
LTSMMSG
TPSMain
TFncKy
PRONoMgr
Inicio (panda antivirus)
APVXDWIN (also panda)
tfswctrl
qttask
ctfmon
Microsoft Office One Note
Microsoft Office
Power Reg Scheduler

Just so you know, the last one is spy ware... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453078189

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/00thotkey.asp makes 00hotkey sound bad, remove it.

jaylweb
26th March 2005, 06:35 AM
Well, I use a toshiba satellite centrino 1.5 40gb and 512mb ram, it used to open windows in 2 seconds but now it takes more than 15 minutes, (literally!) almost equal to the speed of a Celeron!

I was told that the slow opening problem might be because of the programs starting with start-up and the anti-virus program I am using. Well, when I downloaded that stuff, it was still opening in 1 minute and it was very reasonable.

Things got started when I dl.ed the Berdusk recruiter, it added an engine to my system and I removed them from the control pannel as it made my pc too slow. I checked my pc with several anti-virus, worm, trojan programs, used system mechanic and checked everything (and removed them also 'cos they didn't help), everything seems normal! Actually, the pc isn't slow once it is open!

What might be my problem? What should I do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I had a similar problem a while back and it took me about a week or two to figure it out. Basically, it would take about 10 minutes to load the GUI and the entire time I got to stare at the Windows XP loading screen with the blue bar....barely moving. Turns out it was because I had my computer's NIC connected to a switch that had no power....power cord came unplugged. I didn't notice it right away becuase I didn't have anything else hooked up to the switch. Once windows loads, everything worked fine, just a slow bootup time. If you don't have anything connected to your NIC, then try disabling it then see if it helps. :thumbsup:

Rpg
26th March 2005, 07:42 AM
power cord came unplugged. I didn't notice it right away becuase I didn't have anything else hooked up to the switch. Once windows loads, everything worked fine, just a slow bootup time. If you don't have anything connected to your NIC, then try disabling it then see if it helps.

My xp sometimes reboots itself for no reason, or just doesnt start. Most of the times this can be prevented by removing my webcam and scanner. Could this be the same thing you are talking about? (Hey I know my software, but I suck with hardware)

bega
26th March 2005, 08:17 AM
Actually, removing things from startup didn't help. I don't know what a NIC is, but it is a laptop. No scanner, printer or webcam is attached. It's slowly booting up whatever I do. I guess it's one of the unexplainable errors you get with Windows :)

OverlordGenocide
31st March 2005, 10:43 AM
igfxtray
hkcmd
00THotkey <--- whats this? location plz
TFNF5
SmoothView
stacmon
Apoint
LTSMMSG
TPSMain<--- whats this? location plz
TFncKy<--- whats this? location plz
PRONoMgr<--- whats this? location plz
Inicio (panda antivirus)
APVXDWIN (also panda)
tfswctrl <--- whats this? location plz
qttask<----- you do not need this
ctfmon<----- you do not need this
Microsoft Office One Note <----- you do not need this
Microsoft Office <----- you do not need this
Power Reg Scheduler <----- this looks not good
???? can u give some system paths for these?

i reccomend you get rid of panda antivirus straight away, i have a homemade virus (to test it) and several turned it up? whilst panda, avg didnt spot it, symantec, and Avast did (www.avast.com) its free
try it
also
How full is your hard disk?
Do you defrag frequently?
What where you doing/do before you booted up your pc and it became, slow
do you know if you have bad sectors and clusters?
do you use ANY p2p software? or something like kazzaa, or bittorrent

on a side note, do you have onboard graphics?

Azrael
31st March 2005, 01:12 PM
It would be helpful if you could post your dxdiag which would show everything running on your computer. To get your dxdiag click Start->Run and type in 'dxdiag' and choose save to text file and then past it in your reply.

How old is your computer? If it's centrino I'm guessing it's a maxium of a few years, but sometimes as computers get older stuff will just start to get pilled up on your harddrive. If nothing else works I would just suggest backing up some of your stuff and wipping your harddrive. That usually will get rid of any problems. Also you can try rolling back your computer with windows restore.