PDA

View Full Version : Problem plz help

J3123MY
16th March 2005, 01:54 AM
Hey plz help me i believe that my browser has been hijack by about: blank plz help me remove this. Also i am gonna buy a anti spy and virus removal, what are some good ones out there? plz help me.
email is J3123MY133@yahoo.com
msn is J3123MY133@hotmail.com
xfire is J3123MY
plz help me

Flocito
16th March 2005, 02:12 AM
First of all you need to provide a clear description of the problem you are seeing. What exactly do you mean that your browser has been hijacked by about:blank? Are you trying to say that when you open up your browser it now goes to a bland page instead of your old homepage? With such a skimpy description of the problem it's hard to help you debug it.

Second, feel free to read our FAQ at the top of this forum. It has links to free anti-virus software and free spyware removal software.

Perad
16th March 2005, 02:16 AM
Seriously, you should know this...

about:blank is just a blank page. It is used by internet explorer so it can load faster, instead of loading a webpage, it just instantly loads the program. The purpose of about:blank is to allow people who don't want to wait for a home page to load to go directly into the program. It is not a virus.

To change it to a webpage, you need to click on tools, which is at the top of internet explorer, then click on internet options.

In this you will see about:blank in a little text box that says home page... just change this to your homepage, type in a web address then click on apply, then ok and dada fixed.

As for spyware look at the sticky thread on the top of this page.

Flocito
16th March 2005, 03:11 AM
Seriously, you should know this... I'm not exactly sure who you are referring to with this comment, so maybe you should clear this up.

about:blank is just a blank page. It is used by internet explorer so it can load faster, instead of loading a webpage, it just instantly loads the program. The purpose of about:blank is to allow people who don't want to wait for a home page to load to go directly into the program. It is not a virus.
Oh, but it is....if you have the about:blank hi-jack virus, which is what I was trying to get him to explain with more detail if that's actually what he was experiencing. Which if he is, here's how to solve it:

http://www.akadia.com/services/about_blank_virus.html

To change it to a webpage, you need to click on tools, which is at the top of internet explorer, then click on internet options.

In this you will see about:blank in a little text box that says home page... just change this to your homepage, type in a web address then click on apply, then ok and dada fixed.
Not always, see above possible "virus"

Crayon Violent
16th March 2005, 04:35 AM
ahahaha! hahaha! is there seriously an "about:blank" virus?? LMAO!

no seriously though... i was gonna suggest to you that maybe you very recently reset all your preferences in your tools option..from cache to history...to homepage. seeing as how the default homepage is...about: blank.

i didn't think someone would actually be lame enough to make an about:blank virus though, lol, so i guess it could be that, as well...

flocito: what perad meant by the statement "seriously, you should know this.." was that the fact that "about:blank" is the default homepage is such common knowledge that he couldn't believe he was asking such a question :/

Flocito
16th March 2005, 11:15 AM
ahahaha! hahaha! is there seriously an "about:blank" virus?? LMAO!
Yes there seriously is. Is is more annoying that anything though.

flocito: what perad meant by the statement "seriously, you should know this.." was that the fact that "about:blank" is the default homepage is such common knowledge that he couldn't believe he was asking such a question :/ First, I think Perad knows what Perad meant so I'll wait until he responds. If he was implying that I should know this, which I did, then the comment was unnecessary. If he was implying the the OP should know this, then the comment was unnecessary due to the following point. There are no dumb questions in the help forum, what may be obvious to you may not be obvious to others. On this site we have a lot of young users that are inexperienced with it comes to computers and therefore some of us that really want to help other people must have a bit of patience when dealing with them.

Crayon Violent
16th March 2005, 11:27 AM
i understand (and i'm sure perad does too) that some questions aren't dumb to some people. i wasn't making fun of the OP, and i don't think perad was, either. but nonetheless, questions like that belong with other questions like "what's an internet browser?" or "what's a modem?"

come on man, i know that there are some people out there who seriously don't know stuff like that, but it's just so common to most people that you can't help but chuckle...or at least, raise an eyebrow.

and perad did offer help. it seems like you are the only one who claimed to be psychic and understand his problem (and yet, insisted that he be more specific).

flocito, you have a very dry personality. lighten up :/

Flocito
16th March 2005, 12:06 PM
i understand (and i'm sure perad does too) that some questions aren't dumb to some people. i wasn't making fun of the OP, and i don't think perad was, either. but nonetheless, questions like that belong with other questions like "what's an internet browser?" or "what's a modem?"

come on man, i know that there are some people out there who seriously don't know stuff like that, but it's just so common to most people that you can't help but chuckle...or at least, raise an eyebrow.
Actually, no I didn't raise an eyebrow or chuckle. Obviously the OP was having a problem and couldn't figure out the issue and therefore posted asking for help.

and perad did offer help. it seems like you are the only one who claimed to be psychic and understand his problem (and yet, insisted that he be more specific).
I never claimed anything of the sort, which is why I asked the OP to be more specific. I wanted to know whether or not he/she really was seeing symptoms related to the about:blank virus or if the user just was inexpereinced with computers and wasn't sure how to set a homepage.

flocito, you have a very dry personality. lighten up :/ You know nothing about my personality, but if you feel it's dry then you're probably going to love this.

This is a PC Tech Support Forum where we offer to help people no matter how dumb or easy you may think their problem is. You are adding nothing to this thread. Do not continue this off-topic discussion in this thread or you will get a warning. If you want to continue your discussion about how "funny" it is that some user are so dumb that they don't know what the about:blank window is in their web browser then feel free to do it over PM. I expect the next post in this thread to be by the OP either saying his/her problem is fixed or that he/she needs more help.

J3123MY
16th March 2005, 10:58 PM
ok sorry for being not as specific. About blank is a browser hijacker i saw it in a spyware removal site. i believe its suppose to be the most complicated browser hijacker. I read some site on how to remove it but didnt quite get it. i will check the spyware removal forums after this.

when i open up internet explorer it takes me to the site called about blank. When i try to change homepage it just changes back to about blank and i get a whole mess of spyware pop ups which i heard u could sue them if they have a spyware program that made u buy there spyware program just to remove it. I heard about hijack this but i need some help with it cuz i dont wanna mess up my comp. So pretty much it just makes me go to the homepage about blank and i cant get it off i tried the free spyware removal but it doesnt take it off. But i heard there is a manual way of getting rid of it but i need help.

oh yea btw i got rid of the visible one can someone give me step by step info on some iming thing to help me out with the hidden one? this virus is getting annoying.

Phyrus
17th March 2005, 12:20 AM
in this case its a virus (as flocito has pointed out), however if it was the case of it saying "about:blank" and you could easily change home page to whatever and from there on it worked the way you wanted it to, then its normal.

so... refer to flocito's post for help

Flocito
17th March 2005, 12:53 AM
ok sorry for being not as specific. About blank is a browser hijacker i saw it in a spyware removal site. i believe its suppose to be the most complicated browser hijacker. I read some site on how to remove it but didnt quite get it. i will check the spyware removal forums after this.

when i open up internet explorer it takes me to the site called about blank. When i try to change homepage it just changes back to about blank and i get a whole mess of spyware pop ups which i heard u could sue them if they have a spyware program that made u buy there spyware program just to remove it. I heard about hijack this but i need some help with it cuz i dont wanna mess up my comp. So pretty much it just makes me go to the homepage about blank and i cant get it off i tried the free spyware removal but it doesnt take it off. But i heard there is a manual way of getting rid of it but i need help.

oh yea btw i got rid of the visible one can someone give me step by step info on some iming thing to help me out with the hidden one? this virus is getting annoying. First of all, thanks for adding more detail. You do have the "about:blank virus." I'm not sure if you noticed the link I provided in post #4, so I will post it again here:

http://www.akadia.com/services/about_blank_virus.html

You say that you've already deleted the visible DLL and now just need to delete the invisible DLL. The above link provides you with a program and a step-by-step instruction on how to remove everything.

If you have any more problems after following these steps please let us know and we'll try to help.

HookerBodyShots
17th March 2005, 07:09 PM
I actually had this problem not too long ago myself. It's fairly awful, ain't it? What I did was got a new version of Ad-Aware and got rid of as much Spyware as possible. After that, I got a great virus protection thing and that seemed to make things better... If I had known that there was a single place to go as Flocito said, I would have done it.

Remember that this spyware is especially malicious. It backs itself up and you need to make sure you get rid of everything in your backup area about it. For Windows XP, it is fairly easy to do.

J3123MY
17th March 2005, 10:17 PM
k thx i will post if i have anymore problems.

J3123MY
17th March 2005, 11:20 PM
k guys nvm i need help im not inteligent enough to do this plz help me i found the hidden one deleted it but then i dont get the rest of the intsrutctions

Flocito
18th March 2005, 12:04 PM
k guys nvm i need help im not inteligent enough to do this plz help me i found the hidden one deleted it but then i dont get the rest of the intsrutctions Ok, well I thought the instructions were pretty clear and easy to follow, but it's understandable that one can be intimidated if they are new to computers. But we have good news. I did some searching around the web to try and find a tool that will automatically remove all the variants of the the about:blank virus and I found this page (http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml). About half-way down the page after they describe how to manually remove the virus they have a link to Adaware (http://www.adwareaway.com/)Away, (http://www.adwareaway.com/) which they claim will remove all variants of the virus automatically for you with the trial version of the software.

I haven't tried this program out, but if you are having problems removing it manually, then give this a try and let us know how it works.

J3123MY
19th March 2005, 03:28 AM
k ima try the program out tommorow kinda late and i gotta get up early tommorow thx for helping me.

J3123MY
21st March 2005, 12:32 AM
k the program says it removed it but it didnt really do it cuz my homepage and popups are still messed up. tommorow night i will look at the instructions again. The program finds it and says it removes it but doesnt really remove it at least thats what i think.

H2SO4
22nd March 2005, 03:45 AM
k the program says it removed it but it didnt really do it cuz my homepage and popups are still messed up. tommorow night i will look at the instructions again. The program finds it and says it removes it but doesnt really remove it at least thats what i think.

It's possible you just need to reset them to the right ones if you haven't already. Or your becoming reinfected. You should also always disable system restore before removing a virus or u'll find it very hard to get rid of it permanantly... and don't forget to re-enable it afterwards. But before doing that, if you know when u picked up the problem, you could just try using system restore to return to an earlier version of ur computer when it was working normally.... it just depends how far back ur restore points go. Making a restore point just before installing a new program is also a good idea in case anything goes wrong with the installation.

To remove a virus manually or have someone more au faut with computers remove it for you: There is excellent virus database on www.mcafee.com. Use the quick links and search the virus library where u will find the instructions for removal.

There is also no need to buy an anti-virus, www.grisoft.com do an excellent program, free to homeusers... AVG Free Edition.

It's one of the few I've found that doesn't conflict with some other software on my computer. Nice frequent updates to the virus definition files too. It instantly pounces on anything nasty that comes my way. Run it in heuristic mode.

Also once you get rid of the problem I suggest u make a backup of ur computer for future use and keep it regularly updated.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, and if ur not technically minded they save a lot of grief.

J3123MY
29th March 2005, 10:43 PM
k guys lets just say im not the best at following instructions anyone willing to give me a hand on some iming thing step to step? ima look through it again but this is getting real annoying.

Dr.Satan
30th March 2005, 04:00 AM
microsoft antispyware (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en) check this out..might help