PDA

View Full Version : New Open Ended Quests

iwishiknew
14th March 2005, 08:36 PM
After talking with a friend, who uptly loves these kinds of quests, I decieded to give it a spin. What are "these kinds of quests" exactaly? They are open ended ones.

In an open ended quest all the starter is put a location, give a starting reason for what is happening, and maybe some few background details and maybe some possible outcomes. An exampe of an outline of this follows.

Reason this is happening: "Laser" beams from outerspace destroyed major cities.
Why this is happening: The remaing people try to survive and find out what did this.
Possible outcomes: Was the laser beam human generated? Goverment? Alien? What will happen to the Earth affter this?

Or it could be something as simple as a highschool class. The reason I did this was because I want to know how many people would be willing to give this a go. Anyone?

Mihael
14th March 2005, 08:48 PM

IMO even if this is an Open Ended Quest, you want to be the most specific that you can, it allows a better understanding and a better RP post and not just a 5 phrase line, i know that's just a random example but just an advice that probably you know it already ;)

Why this is happening: The remaing people try to survive and find out what did this.

Ok i just dont understnnd this, if you wonder why this is happening that example is not the best at all just to point that out.

The rest looks good but do we have specific stats that are to be used? Defined skills? Anything?

Regards k33p3r

iwishiknew
14th March 2005, 09:00 PM
that is just an example. The main thread would have alot more details, including charecter does and don't. If this goes over even ok-ish. I am going to do this one. It will happen probaly in Washinton or Paris and you will use a normal human charecter.

MichelD
15th March 2005, 12:32 AM
I know I personally would like to join such a quest at least as much as a normal one. Seeing them return would be something positive. However, due to lack of time, I haven't the chance to join more then one quest. So I voted yes, because I would join if I had the chance, but if it starts soon, I wouldn't have that opportunity.

Legion
15th March 2005, 12:46 AM
Errr, I'm afraid I don't really follow, Nameless. Are you talking about quests where all you have is a beginning situation and the quest itself can go every possible way, storyline-wise? O.o Because if it's like that, I'd go for it.

iwishiknew
15th March 2005, 05:03 AM
yea Legion that is what I am talking about. The oly thing that anyone knows for sure is what has already happened. Each charecter try to take it in a certaint direction. Do we go to the fire station and enlist help? Do we go to the warehouse and search it?

The only thing that the creater realy can do that the others can't is not allow people in, kick people out, and flat out deny certaint "findings", though everyone can try and get things desaproved. This happens like this.

Situation: The group is at the afore mentioned warehouse and are searching it for clues to who/what the attacker is.

(Group deniel)
Poster A:Dude I think I just found alien techonolgy.
Poster B: I think it is fake. What do yall think?
Poster C/D: Me to.
Leader: Yea it is fake I am pretty sure. Oh well.

OR

(Leader deniel)

Poster B: Dude I just found my dad's hat. He must of built the laser.
Leader: No that hat belongs to that gun who is holding a gun to _______'s head. Sorry

Daedalus
18th March 2005, 11:32 AM
Wait...

This is different from an ordinary quest how, exactly? There's nothing in the 'rules' of a quest forbidding you from starting it with no clear intentions concerning where to go next. Indeed, there are no rules governing what you can and can't do with a quest. This is the BA - the only rules are the element restrictions. This idea isn't revolutionary, either. I've seen it done in many other forums, and I'm certain at least one person has tried such a quest in GUA without specifically stating it as one. This isn't a proposal for the BA, as the title seems to suggest, because there's nothing that says it can't happen already.

In fact, this thread should either turn into a discussion about the pros/cons of such an approach to quests, or it should disappear...

Anyway, open-ended quests are a fine idea, and I think they're probably underused at present - indeed, they must be underused if people think this is such an unusual idea it needs a thread about it. So kudos for the idea, although IMO there are better opening plots than the one you proposed...

Simplicity
18th March 2005, 03:05 PM
I'd join, but no one said I had to like it.

The initial concept is interesting, but it lacks any solid information or substance to sustain that interest. Especially if the group of roleplayers you're in is less than decent. Even one may throw off the balance, add a mystical talking dragon here and boom... there goes a good quest.

Stupid mystical dragons...

iwishiknew
18th March 2005, 07:10 PM
Wait...

This is different from an ordinary quest how, exactly? There's nothing in the 'rules' of a quest forbidding you from starting it with no clear intentions concerning where to go next. Indeed, there are no rules governing what you can and can't do with a quest. This is the BA - the only rules are the element restrictions. This idea isn't revolutionary, either. I've seen it done in many other forums, and I'm certain at least one person has tried such a quest in GUA without specifically stating it as one. This isn't a "proposal" for the BA, as the title seems to suggest, because there's nothing that says it can't happen already.

In fact, this thread should either turn into a discussion about the pros/cons of such an approach to quests, or it should disappear...

Anyway, open-ended quests are a fine idea, and I think they're probably underused at present - indeed, they must be underused if people think this is such an unusual idea it needs a thread about it. So kudos for the idea, although IMO there are better opening plots than the one you proposed... I am going to ignore that whole thing.

Also simplitcity. The leader of the group has many ways around that. First is to have the guy wake up from a dream then somehow kill hte guy's charecter in the same post. Second is to just boot him and ignore the post. Third is to just simply take it in stride.

Ps. I will hopefully have one up later tonight or tomorrow.

Imakunilol
19th March 2005, 09:31 AM
I enjoy these quests a lot more, but really you don't even need the "why this is happening." part. The person running the quest should know what's going to happen before they start it. Their doesn't even have to be anything important happening until a few posts. That makes it more realistic.

iwishiknew
19th March 2005, 09:43 AM
If the owner controls the quest then it isn't open-ended, only open-middled.

Ps. For some reason my net browser keeps closing at random times so it might take a bit to get the quest up.

Simplicity
19th March 2005, 08:31 PM
Also simplitcity. The leader of the group has many ways around that. First is to have the guy wake up from a dream then somehow kill hte guy's charecter in the same post. Second is to just boot him and ignore the post. Third is to just simply take it in stride.

So you mean, exactly how the BA performed about 7 months ago? Give or take a few. I do recall the owner of a quest similiar to this style wanting to boot you, yet it didn't work?

It's very easy to ignore the boot. Then you'll want mod involvement, and then you might as well give up and go to Seregon or DS. Unfortuanitly it doesn't work out, which is why there is a good possibility I won't like it. Personal thing, but the BA simply isn't fun when there is no control.

iwishiknew
20th March 2005, 07:36 AM
actualy if the guy just keeps posting, you report him and ignore all his posts. Easy as that.

Also what quest????? All quests I have played have had a deffinite ending but not a known middle.

Perad
22nd March 2005, 02:11 AM
It would be cool to have a never ending quest where players can get on and off as they like. It would initially need some sort of goal, whether that be decided in the thread or before. After this goal is complete in game we can pursue another one and so on and so on. I would join, would be a laugh and pretty interesting.

iwishiknew
22nd March 2005, 04:48 AM
That would be and as far as I know my thread might do that.

Sorry it is taking so long. I have to create a new charecter and describing him is getting hard.

Perad
22nd March 2005, 05:54 AM
There is no such thing as an open ended quest... if you want to kill the first vampire no matter how many times you circle the world and kill vamps you will eventually find him. If you are lost, you will eventually find yourself and if you want an orc to become an elf king then with alot of effort and talking it can happen.

To make this work we would need the quest to be so big and so multi-layered that to complete it would take years. So we could for example go on a quest to find some gold, we come very very close but are denied at the last moment and some people rob it from underneath our noses. We then hunt down these people eventually getting our gold back... When we have it we can either spend it or find out its cursed. If we go for the curse then we would have to find a way to get rid of the gold... and so on and so on.

A never ending quest isn't possible. What is possible is a thing which keeps a group of people together and makes them take part in a chain of events that only end when the characters die... and even then, with new people joining that might not happen.

There are many possibilities to start this off, but to keep it going is the difficult thing, when a stage in the quest or when the actual quest ends there would have to be drive to keep it going and find something else.

MichelD
22nd March 2005, 01:24 PM
I have to disagree with you, Perad. Something like an open ended quest is possible. The idea is that you state absolutely no goal. You can start the quest along the lines of:

'I'm bored, lets find out what lays downstream the river.'

And then every party member can throw in everything they want, be it an attack of orcs from the riverbank or an empty village. If there is no defined goal, the goal will never be reached.

The only problem would be that people will lose interest after a while.

iwishiknew
22nd March 2005, 02:33 PM
Perad you seem to think I am talking about a never ending quest. I aint. I am talking, like MichelD said, about ones with no deffinite goal.

Ok guys sorry it took so long but here is the main thread.

Open Ended Quest: The Assasination (http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?p=227804#post227804)

Watch for the double posts... ~Garf