PDA

View Full Version : new idea regarding races.

mob1us
14th March 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi everybody,

I have a few suggestions about KoC races and their stats.

KoC needs more races. I suggest goblins and trolls, because then there is a good-evil balance.

stats

Goblin: for every 5 turns you get 1 turn extra.

Troll : 10% attack bonus and 10% defence bonus.

(or something like this)

It also would be nice if every warlord has a huge beast to control. The kind of beast is chosen by race.

anymore suggestions would be nice.

please post!

mob1us

EworTam
14th March 2005, 09:50 AM
I like the idea, but it has been brought up several times.

On a side note aren't trolls and goblins and orcs just different sorts of the same thing? Im not claiming to be an expert in the various creatures that dwell in the realms of fantasy, but they all seem kind of similiar to me.

kaka duck
14th March 2005, 11:51 AM

On a side note aren't trolls and goblins and orcs just different sorts of the same thing? Im not claiming to be an expert in the various creatures that dwell in the realms of fantasy, but they all seem kind of similiar to me.

i suppose they can be generalized into the same category. however, there are slight differences.

consider .. those 3 races to be chinese, japanese, and korean. to someone thas unfamiliar, they may all look or seem the same; but they are different. and still, they can all be classified as asian or oriental.

as for the differences between the 3..? i believe that changes depending on what fantasy novel you're reading.

mob1us
14th March 2005, 01:04 PM

I mean:

Orcs- the big green guys

Goblins- the small big eared people

trolls- the hairy folks with big noses

:bigannoun

EworTam
14th March 2005, 01:42 PM
Lol. Yeah I know. But I think it would be hard to make any new races. Take your example of a race having more turns. It just isn't a comparitable advantage as the others' so deciding exactly how much extra turns would be very tricky indeed. A split bonus would be OK, but possibly too much of an advantage?

But hey what about giants?? :python:

variationpwnz
14th March 2005, 02:10 PM
how about goblins get 10%-20% cheaper upgrades and the trolls get 2 instead of 1 attack turn every half hour?

mob1us
14th March 2005, 02:24 PM
how about goblins get 10%-20% cheaper upgrades and the trolls get 2 instead of 1 attack turn every half hour?

that would be a to big advantage over the other races, and thus making the game unbalanced.

but i thought the 1 for every 5 turns was ok.

(like humans a 20% bonus)

Laudimir
14th March 2005, 06:42 PM
Hmmm....Trolls generally have the ability to regenerate, so why not give them a -50% casualty rate. The reason it is this high is because casualties are nonexistent early in the game, so it would make up for the late game.

Goblins breed like rabbits, lol. So, why not give them a +25% unit production?

WongFeiHung
14th March 2005, 07:29 PM
Basically what you're saying, if I understand correctly, is the idea of other races with other types of bonuses besides attack, defense, income and covert. I'd leave the name and exact bonus of the new races to the guys who run the game, as they probably have more experience balancing out something like this. But it would be interesting. A few ideas on possible bonuses- (including ones above, so you know I'm not taking credit for those)

Less casualties, cheaper upgrades, training, or weapons, faster turns (by no more than 3 minutes, which would give the player 5 more turns a day), more inflicted casualties, less gold lost per attack, some combination of the above bonuses (i.e. mob1us' original troll idea, like 10% attack and defense), the advantage/disadvantage (like a 45% attack bonus but the incapability of recon or sabatoge), etc.

Please do not critique the actual ideas themselves, as they are just examples I am throwing out there. But I definitely like the idea of new races and new bonuses. For a good example of this, look up Utopia, a game similar to KoC but far more complex. When you start there are 8 races and 9 personalities to choose from. Now that many are not necessary for KoC, but more options would be nice. :wizardand :wizardand

mob1us
15th March 2005, 04:58 AM
Basically what you're saying, if I understand correctly, is the idea of other races with other types of bonuses besides attack, defense, income and covert. I'd leave the name and exact bonus of the new races to the guys who run the game, as they probably have more experience balancing out something like this. But it would be interesting. A few ideas on possible bonuses- (including ones above, so you know I'm not taking credit for those)

Less casualties, cheaper upgrades, training, or weapons, faster turns (by no more than 3 minutes, which would give the player 5 more turns a day), more inflicted casualties, less gold lost per attack, some combination of the above bonuses (i.e. mob1us' original troll idea, like 10% attack and defense), the advantage/disadvantage (like a 45% attack bonus but the incapability of recon or sabatoge), etc.

Please do not critique the actual ideas themselves, as they are just examples I am throwing out there. But I definitely like the idea of new races and new bonuses. For a good example of this, look up Utopia, a game similar to KoC but far more complex. When you start there are 8 races and 9 personalities to choose from. Now that many are not necessary for KoC, but more options would be nice. :wizardand :wizardand

This is exactly what i meant. But it would be better if another stat isn't disabled but just lowered

example:

humans- 30% gold bonus, -10% attack and -10% covertskill

orcs- 40% attack bonus, -20% defence bonus

dwarves and elves will be the opposite of humans and orcs.

:rambo:

variationpwnz
15th March 2005, 10:04 AM
that would be a to big advantage over the other races, and thus making the game unbalanced.

but i thought the 1 for every 5 turns was ok.

(like humans a 20% bonus)

Why is that to big? The fort and siege upgrades get more useless the more expensive they're getting (and those where the upgrades I ment), so it isn't such an advantage at all. If you don't like it, how about cheaper weapons?
And how are the turns to much?? Do you have any idea how small the amount of turns is you're suggesting? They miss any other advantages you know.

perisious
16th March 2005, 08:08 PM
Think about it: If anyone was to have twice the amount of attack turns, they would be able to, in theory, be able to steal twice as much gold, so in a percent comparison, thats 100% more gold, which is much higher than any other race's bonus.

variationpwnz
17th March 2005, 01:55 AM
That's true but they lack any other bonus so that means it will be harder for them to keep up in stats. So that's bad for winning money. So it will be a bit more equal.
And what was wrong with the other bonus?

Deeppack
17th March 2005, 06:16 AM
Im sorry to say, i dont think more races will improve the quality of the game. After day 1 you picked your race. You cant change it anymore. Your stuck to it the rest of the age, more race options wont make the game more fun. Especially because there always is a best race. I dont think people are asking for more races either. It wouldnt add something new and exciting to the game.

Deeppack