PDA

View Full Version : I need to practice sword fight! Who can help me?

AliDheren
9th March 2005, 04:10 PM
My main problem is language...

Not only english, but the fact that actions like that are not as easy to explain when I imagine them.
So I do need practice.

And then, yes, there is the language. It is terribly booring to look up for the proper word to say what my char is doing. Only training will help.

So anyone of you who has the patience to teach me how to rpg a sword fight... I will be really thankful!

;)

DaunTed
9th March 2005, 04:25 PM
I can help....I love role playing with simple sword fighting...

First do you have a question you want to ask about it...Then i will do my best to explain using examples of the technique and so on...

Redtigerfang
9th March 2005, 04:29 PM
in my opinion you don't need any help in that field well the sword fight part , but i guess i can give you a few pointers o::::::]=========><=======[0]xxxxxo

AliDheren
9th March 2005, 05:15 PM
Well, for example, how do you describe a simple attack.

I can say "I attack" but I want to know how to move, how my legs advance, how my arms draw a position, how should I select the point to strike, etc...

And then, how to get ready for counterattack or parry...

Negative S
9th March 2005, 06:05 PM
I can give you some really good liretature to take examples from.

The war of the spider queen series.

There are six books that have a character that does nothign but sword fight his name is ryld argith. If you can find one of the books from that series and just look at his sword fight parts youll have all you need.

Redtigerfang
9th March 2005, 08:16 PM
It also depends on the type of sword you are using , say for instance if you have a katana, then your motions would e different than that of a broad sword.I really depends on waht kind of sword you are using.

AliDheren
10th March 2005, 12:42 AM
thanks for the note Troja... I'll try to find them, though it is not that easy here. probably i'll need to ask for them specifically to the library.

well Red, you know that I use basically broad sword. My chars do not have any oriental techniques... at least not now...

so i'll stick to broad sword, bastard sword and dagger.

DaunTed
10th March 2005, 10:45 AM
Well, for example, how do you describe a simple attack.

I can say "I attack" but I want to know how to move, how my legs advance, how my arms draw a position, how should I select the point to strike, etc...

And then, how to get ready for counterattack or parry...

A good example of how to basically attack with a strike would be something like this...Ill use just DaunTed for it..

Daunted looked at his oponant, he was looking for a weak spot. He scanned the whole body up and down, with his hands tight on his swords hilt. He placed his left foot back behind his right slowly and then jumped forward, pushing hard off with his back foot. He swung the sword behind his head.... And so on...

If thats the sort of thing you mean by a simple attack...

On the parrying side, try something like...

Daunted was keeping his eye on his oponants sword. He could see he was about to make a move, but when would this happen. Lurching forwards, the enemy swung his sword down at Daunted's shoulder. He lifted his sword and it clashed hard against the other, sending small sparks flying out. Daunted smile lightly and pushed the oponant back.....

They are just basic example...But anything like this would be a SIMPLE was of doing it.

AliDheren
10th March 2005, 11:30 PM
Now, here comes the interesting part:

maybe jump forward and push hard are easy words to get,

even swing

but lurch or clash are more specific if you get my point. Those are the kind of things I need to get better at.

DaunTed
11th March 2005, 10:43 AM
Well you dont wanna go over the top on using great words..Using the occasional basic words nothing, but just using a thesaurus on the occasional so its not like.

DaunTed stabs lord-troja (;)) in the heart...

You could vary it by adding a better word the stabs, something like.

DaunTed penetrated lord-troja's skin in his chest and watched and smiled as he pushed it deeper until finally it snapped his spinal chord with a loud crack.

Etc...

( Sorry LT )

AliDheren
11th March 2005, 12:47 PM
Ok, what I mean is that I actually lack of the vocabulary for action in general,
an therefore i lack of some precise descriptions,

Redtigerfang
13th March 2005, 04:56 AM
i wasn't quite sure what you wanted here but this is what i figured you wanted an example:

The young warrior stood her ground, as the wind rushed past he. Her clothes shifted back and forth,with every blast of wind. Sweat errupted from her forehead and from the palms of her hands. Her hands we ever so tight around the hilt of the sword.The patience of this young warrior was amazing. The stench from the foul beast had reached her from all the way across the battlefield. The lingering smell made he nose twitch frequently, as it was a distasteful odor indeed.
Staring the beast down the young warrior finally found an opportunity to attack.She lunged forward, baring her sword in her right hand. It pointed straight out about should height. Her feet slightly hover above the ground as she narrowed the gap between her and the beast.
The beast's black blobbish bodyformed tenticles for it's defense. The tenticles look very close to that of an octopus.The tenticles swung wildly as the warrior grew closer and closer.
Dodging the tenticles, weaving and bobbing in every direction . The young warroir lifted the sword up with such speed . The sword scored a hit slicing the beast's right tenticle right off. The tenticle hit the ground and squirmed and wiggled til it died. The beast Moaned in pain . It's sheik could be heard all the way across the battlefield.

Is this kind of what you wanted to see.or know about?

Black NITE
21st March 2005, 10:59 PM
ok i just joined the forums today, so... I'm not sure what the whole HP/MP/EXP thing under the avatar is, could one of you guys be so kind as to explain this to me please.

http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 (http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)

That question can be asked here or in another thread in the training forum. If you just joined today I suggest you read everything in that these to threads have to offer.

http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 (http://www.giveupalready.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?t=12426 (http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?t=12426)

This will hopefully keep you out of trouble durning your stay. Anyother questions can be posted in a new thread in this forum or the introductions forum.- Lord-Troja

AZKnightOfOblivion
13th April 2005, 08:29 PM
Yea...I need practice also though, but im already fairly good at it.

AliDheren
13th April 2005, 09:59 PM
Then we can practice a little whenever you want. PM me if you are interested, though.

I take that here we can gather info about many kinds of swords and techniques, since I've seen many displayed all around GUA...

I'd thank any who would explain a technique and show a little about it.

Negative S
14th April 2005, 09:14 PM
May I suggest that you make a new thread in here so that you can work out the different styles of sword rping that are possible?

Good Idea.... - DaunTed ;)