PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Itunes

Shade
9th March 2005, 03:38 PM
Sometimes, when I play iTunes, I get a clicking sound, somewhat like static (tsk tsk--sound), and also get something that makes the music sound fuzzy. I am playing Beatles CDs through iTunes version 4.7.1 and have Mac OS X 10.3.8

I also sometimes get a noise from the computer, not during playing CDs, that is like a tick, only it sounds somewhat more like a single sound the coffee makes when it first starts out (a "perk," I believe that is what it is called.)

Stephen
9th March 2005, 04:30 PM
That happened to some of my Pink Floyd songs. At first I thought it might be because they were pirated, but now I think that's less likely.

Perad
9th March 2005, 04:55 PM
Sometimes, when I play iTunes, I get a clicking sound, somewhat like static (tsk tsk--sound), and also get something that makes the music sound fuzzy. I am playing Beatles CDs through iTunes version 4.7.1 and have Mac OS X 10.3.8

I also sometimes get a noise from the computer, not during playing CDs, that is like a tick, only it sounds somewhat more like a single sound the coffee makes when it first starts out (a "perk," I believe that is what it is called.)

Its an interesting problem, do you only encounter this problem when using i tunes, i mean if you play other sounds, like an online radio station? Also have you tried another media player to see if it does the same.

I would have to guess its the software, i don't use itunes so i can't say what exactly, i would have pointed to the speakers at first but SK gets it as well. Try using a different player like winamp and see if it does that same thing.

And a tick sound? It could be your hard drive that makes that noise, thats pretty normal.

Jack
10th March 2005, 12:35 AM
I also use the latest version of iTunes and have the most recent Mac OS. I'm also rockin' out with a five year old G4 400 MHz box.

I haven't had any problems with iTunes at all. So I'm guessing that it's not software related.

The problem should be easy enough to isolate. Does it only occur when you play directly off the CD drive? Does it occur if you use other music software? Did you try hooking a different pair of speakers up or try unplugging them entirely?

Do you have a Mac mini by any chance?

Flocito
10th March 2005, 02:45 AM
What type of machine are you running? If you go to apple's website and do a search for ticking sound there is a support entry for harddrives on certain models of their computers making a ticking sound.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107036
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75411

Shade
10th March 2005, 05:58 AM
The problem should be easy enough to isolate.
I hope so :(

Does it only occur when you play directly off the CD drive?
Yes, and it also shows up when I import songs...

Does it occur if you use other music software?
I don't have any other music software :p

Did you try hooking a different pair of speakers up or try unplugging them entirely?

I use my mac's built-in speakers...and it's an iBook, in case you needed to know ;)