PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the world today??

Vengis Tusk
10th September 2004, 01:13 AM
It seems to me, more and more everyday, that people are getting madder, and hating each other more and more. Traffic, flippin the bird has been around for a long time, but I see that and more occuring on a more regular basis. One cannot even express their political belifes without being Hated.. No I dont mean Hated, I mean HATED I had a Bush hat pin on my cap when I walked into the post office a week ago. Please note, that Im still undecided, and that I only did this as an experiment. Anyway, as I entered the line, there was a man who gave me the look of death the minute he saw it, I mean he didnt take his eyes off me for the entire time he was in there, it was almost..scary. The world has gotten really fucked when one cannot even wear a darn hat pin.

Everyone's in a hurry, all the time. Speed bumps no long do any good, everyone wants things now now now, hey I catch myself doing that. I cant get over how everyone has lost respect for one another, its really sickening.

My question...Has Anyone Noticed This?? Or is it just me?

Aun Shi
10th September 2004, 02:18 AM
There is a noticable level of hatred....but what im more concerned about is the level of wrong-doings there are in this world.

We must grasp and shift our internal paradigm from "This is hopeless....._.''..." to "What can I do to make this world better? ^-^ "

Perad
10th September 2004, 03:59 AM
The world has been messed up for a long time. ]

The first place where it is messed up is the local level, where its often unsafe to walk the streets at night, you can get attacked for looking a certain way, or be mocked if you make a mistake. If you fall over there is no longer people to see if you are ok and to pick you up, there are just people to laugh at you. Socially you are p[enilised for being smart and wanting to get somewhere in life, if you don't do drugs, smoke or have sex than you are an outcast. Locally the world sucks.

On a regional level racism comes into place. There are now "black towns" where the black to white ratio is like 3:1. These are nicknamed third world areas. If colored person doing a job messes up its not seen as a mistake, its seen as something to do with race.

On a national level there is hatred of other countrys. Brits have grudges against France for what they did with Iraq, then many still dislike Germany because of the war over 60 years ago. Then black countrys because "they are a hive of terrorism".

The problem with the world today is not that there are too many views, its thats there are too little, everything is a popularity contest, because of this fact people are messed up. Its like everyone is in ther eown world, there is no community spirit, there is no real effort for mankind to quest forwards, instead people are stuckin worlds of personal wealth and development. Thats the problem.

Spirited
10th September 2004, 04:47 AM
To be honest, I'm a little cynical about those who think that the world is in a really bad state at the moment, and I believe it is mainly our perception that is causing the discrepancy.

Firstly with the rise of the internet, mobile technology (cellphones etc) and satellite television, we actually know what is happening on the other side of the world very quickly. Bad news is travelling faster than ever before.

Secondly, we seem to have a rather rose tinted image of the past. Which time period where there golden years? It wasn't long ago that Northern Ireland had an active terrorist element with bombs being brought over to mainland Britain, how about whilst US was involved in Vietnam, or during apartide, or how about during world war two? or world war one? how about the french revolution? How about when an anesthetic meant being knocked out with alchohol and when kids worked up chimneys? Or when you had to do all your washing on a particular day because you shared the washing equipment with half a tenement? What about the war in Bosnia or when women didn't have the vote?

I don't believe a golden age ever existed, each generation has had it's troubles - we just forget about them.

So the question for me is "How do I feel about the world?" in which case I think it's pretty good, we have our difficulties but otherwise we are doing okay.

Spirited

Advent
10th September 2004, 05:51 AM
Read Fahrenheit 451. Do it now.. It will spare you loads of "Hmm.. MAYBE this is getting more hectic... MAYBE there is more hatred.. hmm..". There is more hate, there is more speed, and the world is on a slippery slope to totalarian governments and individual greed.

In Fahrenheit 451, there are parks where kids beat up stuffed animals and shoot animals to release anger.. In Fahrenheit 451, individuals watch so much TV that they consider soap opera families to be their own "family"... Speed has increased to a point where all control has been lost, chaos reigns. This relates very closely to what you are describing.

In short, read the book and save yourself a headache.. I first read the book half a year ago, and have since then read it 8 times.. And I'm not kidding about that.

What causes this hate? I think it's the fact that everyone is under pressure.. The clock is ticking, you have to get to your job before someone else gets it and you get fired.

The world is too big, the economy of a single country too small, the governments too liberal, too supportive of foreign immigrants.. There needs to be more regulation on the world population in order to get us anywhere.. Tougher laws are needed.. To burn a flag is not freedom of speech.. To spew hate and propaganda is not freedom of speech...

You are absolutely right.. The world is getting tighter.

Locke
10th September 2004, 03:55 PM
Anger is becoming increasingly popular among youth who want a "bad-ass" reputation. Therefore, it is spreading everywhere. We have always had habits but now the habits are being used at too great an extent. I love America, It's one of the only nations where you can actually own your own business.

Duke Manboy IV
10th September 2004, 05:35 PM
In my opinion, hatred hasn't grown. It are ignorance, egoism and "fundamentalism" that have grown a lot.
Today people only care about their own business and they have become greedy and are too egoistic to do something for someone else.
On occasion everyone will do something for his fellow human, but in the end, we've become a "save yourself"-society.
There are still several people prepared to do something for their fellow citizen without expecting anything back at all, but I wouldn't exactly use the term "altruist" to label them. I think the name "idealist" fits them better.

about the growing fundamentalism, I do not want to accuse or offend anyone here, but people have gone mad when it comes to forcing another his own beliefs.
All over the world people are talking about terrorism, but in the end they would probably end up doing the same, be it not in such an extreme way and not for such a cause.
The worst is that all those terrorists actually think they're doing something good, since they have been lied to and corrupted by the "head of the pyramide," the clan chieftain or whatever you want to call it.

I don't know if this was what you meant with this topic, but I think mankind is on its way to create its own doom and to be blunt I don't give a shit. We deserve to die and leave this world to the other animals, they at least are civilized and not killing creatures of their own kind.

So this may sound hippie, but try to smile towards a stranger, or a simple nod might do wonders too. We should restore communication in our society or soon there won't be any communication left to restore and no society left to restore it in.

Note: Yes, this is a very extreme "exemple," but I just wanted to prove a point. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Vengis Tusk
11th September 2004, 11:37 AM
Read Fahrenheit 451. Do it now.. It will spare you loads of "Hmm.. MAYBE this is getting more hectic... MAYBE there is more hatred.. hmm..". There is more hate, there is more speed, and the world is on a slippery slope to totalarian governments and individual greed.

In Fahrenheit 451, there are parks where kids beat up stuffed animals and shoot animals to release anger.. In Fahrenheit 451, individuals watch so much TV that they consider soap opera families to be their own "family"... Speed has increased to a point where all control has been lost, chaos reigns. This relates very closely to what you are describing.

In short, read the book and save yourself a headache.. I first read the book half a year ago, and have since then read it 8 times.. And I'm not kidding about that.

What causes this hate? I think it's the fact that everyone is under pressure.. The clock is ticking, you have to get to your job before someone else gets it and you get fired.

The world is too big, the economy of a single country too small, the governments too liberal, too supportive of foreign immigrants.. There needs to be more regulation on the world population in order to get us anywhere.. Tougher laws are needed.. To burn a flag is not freedom of speech.. To spew hate and propaganda is not freedom of speech...

You are absolutely right.. The world is getting tighter.

Thats a book I am gonna read. Your very right, everyone is under pressure, jobs, deadlines, and the country is alot nicer to others than their own. We gotta take care of the poverty, starvation, and homeless in our OWN country first. Whats this about giving health care to illegal citizens?!? We need healthcare for US first! Not everyone has it, the classes in this country is becoming more extreme upper and extreme lower classes. I say Hi to someone, I dont know, and they look at me like im crazy! I help a customer at my job, and I dont get a thank you. Someone will dish out $100 cell phone penalty, but they will argue over a $2 dollar late fee. I know im talking alot about the US, and the topics the world, but I havent been anywhere else. Anyone from another country wanna help with this?

Uurion
11th September 2004, 11:01 PM
Personally if you want to be in a good mood for the rest of the day: dont read what i have to say on this topic.

The reason why the world is so messed up is Mankind natural tendency to want to commit violence. Thats why we went to war, everytime. Not to save this country, or to save our believes. We go to war because we are bored. We want something to do. and now that we have run out of common enemies (wilderness,whatever so now we are turning on ourselves. The very concept we build our lives on is the very thing that tears us apart: Freedom. Everyone think we 'Unite' to save freedom, BS we 'Unite' to save our own asses. Don't Get me wrong...i love freedom. It's just that no one respects other peoples freedom. Thats why we have to deal with this gay marriage crap. Good lord. We want our freedom but they shouldn't be allowed theirs because its nasty to us? Perfect example. There is no unity, only who will help me get what i want? Thats how politicians have always thought, and no it has filtered down through the ties to the common people. Stress is at an all time high. Serial killers abound. War is spreading like wild fire. Rather there is a god or not, we ARE approaching Armaggedon. And its not gonna happen because the sun exploded or anything like that, No its coming because in reality, there is no world peace. As long as freedom exists, there will never be world peace, because of conflicting life styles. So i think we should get used to the idea that the end is near. Because personally i will die before i see someone take away my freedom, or anothers for that matter. But face it- The only time we are gonna have world peace is when the world is dead. The death of humankind is the only thing strong enough to subdue our hatred and loathing for what we do not understand, and whats different. Yeah, the thought of world-wide peace is a great thing, but an impossible thing as well.

Stephen
12th September 2004, 01:37 AM
Well today was pretty nice to me.

Slept till 1pm. Did laundry/flirted with my room mate's girlfriend (gonna tap that by Christmas ;)). I ate three square meals, and had a couple of beers at the expense of some shitty frat. Chilled out, and didn't experience any hate at all.

I think the problem may come from the spread of information. We see so many more things wrong in the world now, but maybe it is not because there are actually more problems, just more problems reaching us.

The current political climate is nothing compared to the Cold War, and I haven't been on this mud ball long enough to speak about things undocumented like the populace's general demeanor.

Oh, and here's (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/stephenkenny01/GUA%20and%20such/Bush_Horsemen-thumb.jpg) an interesting picture. Sort of relevant :-\