PDA

View Full Version : format problem (with windows xp)

Tekano
28th February 2005, 09:29 AM
I want to format my computer to get rid of all the trash I have on it and I can't get it to work from ms dos, it says format c: is not supported

I can't do it from windows cuz, well yeah, everything has to be closed down and windows is still running

someone told me to load the xp cd into my computer and that I could format it from there but that doesn't work either.

any suggestions?

Flocito
28th February 2005, 10:30 AM
You should be able to insert your WinXP CD into the drive and boot from it. After you boot from the CD you should have the option re-install XP or repair the current installation. If you choose to re-install, then you should have the option to re-format the partitions and choose when partition to install the OS on.

Perad
28th February 2005, 12:08 PM
You should be able to insert your WinXP CD into the drive and boot from it. After you boot from the CD you should have the option re-install XP or repair the current installation. If you choose to re-install, then you should have the option to re-format the partitions and choose when partition to install the OS on.

He says it doesn't work, i don't know what exactly that means because it is a bit vague but he may also need to change the boot order to boot from CD to actually be able to reinstall windows.

This is done in Bios or Setup. You will see when you computer starts that it says something like "Press F1 to enter to setup". Press F1 and scroll through the settings untill you find boot device. Then using the instructions in the setup change the boot order to put DVD/ROM first and Hard Drive second. This will give you the option to boot from CD.

But before you do it, i recommend you do the following. Locate a disk with both firewall and virus scanner on it. If you don't have them download zonealarm firewall and AVG anti virus and burn them to disk. Also locate all your drivers, especially your modem drivers. It would be a bitch if you lost that one. Finally back up all documents and other stuff which you need. You don't want to wipe your computer and regret losing something afterwards.

DoomKiller
2nd March 2005, 01:17 AM
if u want all ur trash out of ur pc and u cant format it i have 2 suggestions: 1) reinstall Windows XP or 2) get out all the trash manually