PDA

View Full Version : Report and Suspend KoC Spammers via Messaging System

Blitz
24th February 2005, 06:29 PM
This idea is something that occured to me due to a recent spammer, and a thread I saw about it, located here:

http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?p=200135

Unsolicited recruitment messages are illegal, and measures such as the 20 message per hour rule have been added partially because of some player's abusing the system. However, there are players out there who still violate the rules, either by doing it by hand, an automated program, or using fake accounts to get around the rule.

My idea:

A "Report Spam" button. If 5 different players click the "Report Spam" button within 1 week, for a player who has sent them messages, then those messages as well as a quick note of complaint will be sent to the KoC Admins for review. The system would be fairly simple, as it would be a bit difficult to get reported for spam by 5 players in one week if the player in question is not spamming. A standard punishment could be suspension of the account for 3 days.

This would seriously reduce spam I've been receiving from people such as this one...

Spammer: i am a mass messenger, i have sent out over 800 messengers already and have been recruiting for all of my officers
Spammer: every hour i am on the computer i send 20 messages

I have an army size of 27,000, and he has an army size of 11,000. If I keep up my current rate of growth, I will be gaining more than his entire army size daily. Yet he messages me, asking me to be his officer in exchange for officers of my own. I'm sure that out of the 800 he has sent this week, at least 100 would report him for spamming, should there be a simple button. Far more than the 5 needed for my proposed system to work.

Please vote, and tell me if you thoughts on this system.

(Parts of this idea were inspired by Monsuco, Tyrus, and...The player ranked significantly less than me who decided to spam my inbox.)

MCeley
24th February 2005, 08:14 PM
I would love this idea. I would've reported about 4 people by now since they all recruit for the same person. Infern0 I send out some messages too but I only send out about 5-10 a week at the most. The only problem is that if a player is having a bad day they'll probably report anybody who tries to recruit and that would take some fun out of the game if you can't recruit.

Side note: I know what you mean about recruiters. I'm ranked around 500 and I have people ranked 40,000 trying to recruit me. That and they only have like 11 soldiers when I have 3,800ish.

Denny
25th February 2005, 02:44 AM
These guys clog up my already full inbox. Even when I'm #1, I still get recruitment messages from other alliances, including from enemy alliances who must know that there's no chance of me joining them - they're just running automated tools across my whole command chain.

Occasionally I receive recruitment spam from members of my own alliance too - that earns them a one week suspension on our recruiter, it's part of the alliance rules.

Zap
25th February 2005, 07:33 AM
Unsolicited recruitment messages are illegal

:1poke: are you sure of that? I read the KoC rules to be sure but I didn't find anything about recruitment messages, only about links

but I do like the report spam button, because it happens very often that 3-6 accounts are recruiting for their commander (or in other words, only one man is behind all this)

so good suggestion :)

Blitz
25th February 2005, 09:04 AM
:1poke: are you sure of that? I read the KoC rules to be sure but I didn't find anything about recruitment messages, only about links

but I do like the report spam button, because it happens very often that 3-6 accounts are recruiting for their commander (or in other words, only one man is behind all this)

so good suggestion :)
I take it as the spirit of the rule. I suppose I would have to ask the admins to be certain, but the rules just aren't updated as often as they should be, imo.

That rule was written back before I started 15 months ago...I remember it was that exact wording. At the time, there was no commander change button, so unique links were the only way to make someone your commander.

I'm going to double-check this, but I believe that any unsolicited attempted recruitment of players into a command chain is illegal. The rules are very strict over recruitment via unique links, and I believe that it applies to "Commander Change" buttons as well.

MysteryQuest
25th February 2005, 09:40 AM
As long as it is not written it is legal, so sorry for what you say VegnaBlitz, but in my eyes you're talking BS now. Anyway, I don't like this idea. You should be able to send some messages manual to ask people to become your officer, because 90% of KoC never checks GUA. So their should be a way to tell them. I get some recruit messages too and I don't hate it an you can delete it very fast.

bloodpirate
25th February 2005, 02:27 PM
i like sending out recruit messages, but i make sure they don't have a commander already. only exception is if i try and recruit their commander and ask the officer to help me do that. and all my messages are personal. i don't think that is spam as i only send out maybe 20 messages a day

SataiDelenn
25th February 2005, 06:38 PM
This idea is something that occured to me due to a recent spammer, and a thread I saw about it, located here:

http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?p=200135

Unsolicited recruitment messages are illegal, and measures such as the 20 message per hour rule have been added partially because of some player's abusing the system. However, there are players out there who still violate the rules, either by doing it by hand, an automated program, or using fake accounts to get around the rule.

My idea:

A "Report Spam" button. If 5 different players click the "Report Spam" button within 1 week, for a player who has sent them messages, then those messages as well as a quick note of complaint will be sent to the KoC Admins for review. The system would be fairly simple, as it would be a bit difficult to get reported for spam by 5 players in one week if the player in question is not spamming. A standard punishment could be suspension of the account for 3 days.

This would seriously reduce spam I've been receiving from people such as this one...

I have an army size of 27,000, and he has an army size of 11,000. If I keep up my current rate of growth, I will be gaining more than his entire army size daily. Yet he messages me, asking me to be his officer in exchange for officers of my own. I'm sure that out of the 800 he has sent this week, at least 100 would report him for spamming, should there be a simple button. Far more than the 5 needed for my proposed system to work.

Please vote, and tell me if you thoughts on this system.

(Parts of this idea were inspired by Monsuco, Tyrus, and...The player ranked significantly less than me who decided to spam my inbox.)

I think this is all a bit much. People have and always will attempt to recruit. You say it's illegal, but even some of the bigger alliances do it (including some of the people that are in your alliance "Dynasty" FiT. Just thought you should know). How do you think they get as many officers as they do? So, with the sanctions you're talking about here, you'd wind up getting your own key allies banned/suspended, etc. Food for thought.

I mean, I've done my share of recruiting too. By hand and not NEARLY to the degree that some do. I maybe send out a total of ten messages each age. Considering how long an age usually lasts, that (I believe) averages to about 2 a month. Really, is it THAT big of a deal that people can't just delete messages from their inbox or even hit the ignore button to receive new messages from the same people? I really don't think so.

Astaire
25th February 2005, 09:59 PM
These guys clog up my already full inbox. Even when I'm #1, I still get recruitment messages from other alliances, including from enemy alliances who must know that there's no chance of me joining them - they're just running automated tools across my whole command chain.

Occasionally I receive recruitment spam from members of my own alliance too - that earns them a one week suspension on our recruiter, it's part of the alliance rules.

Denny! I don't want to attack you but you of all people must know that recruit messages are essential to alliance building. I undrestand that alliances can't let people recruit from their own chain, and that auto-messaging should be illegal but shouldn't someone be able to send recruit messages out if they do it the honest way?

And to people who complain about them: So what?? If you don't like them, delete them! lol, you're only mad because you read them and find out that it's the same-old same-old and realize that you just wasted a minute of your time.

Propugnator
26th February 2005, 04:19 AM
I made a suggestion that would solve this perfectly back in age 3. It's now somewhere in the Catacombs. I'll look it up and edit it in.

Edit: Ok, I found it. It was still in the throne room however.

They should eliminate the message limit and make it where you can mark a message as spam. If an account gets X messages marked as spam, action will be taken against it. If many accounts from the same ip are found to be spamming, action will be taken against the benificiary. "Sting" operations could always be used to determine who this is. And of course, if an account gets enough marks as spam, those marked messages can be screened so you could not use this system to harm anyone not guilty of spamming.

Mordenkhai
26th February 2005, 01:52 PM
I am just unwanted I suppose, I dont seem to have floods of spam messages everyday, oh well my ego will have to survive on its own. I get maybe 1 a week? I started Age 4 with 0 officers, On the first day I looked for people who signed up day 1, and yet by the end of the day still only had an army size of 2-5. I sent messages, I typed them all up, and sent them probably about 40 the whole day. Now I have 6 officers, 1 who clicks hard and 2 who are ok, with three who I cant tell if they log in anymore hehe. Anyhow here is what I think.

If the players are given the chance to judge the other players, even only being able to submit the other players for review for possible punishment then the newer players and smaller players will suffer the most. Firstly, any player whom has no officers now faces the daunting task of finding officers without stumbling upon X number of dissagreeable people whom report out of spite. Any new player, or even a player with a few months under their belt is going to stop playing all together if their account is flagged for even 3 days as banned. If you take control of gameplay out of the player's hands then its not much of a game anymore. Furthermore any player regardless of experience rank and size whom deigns it an excellent strategy to attempt to recruit people whom may be considered enemies must limit their attemtps to 5 per one week. All it would take is one enemy mentioning in a chat that Mordenkhai sent me a emssage today, if 4 others spoke up replying they too has been messaged all it takes is 1 person in the room to suggest the path of using the admins as a weapon. So if you try to recruit to weaken your enemy you take the risk their enemies employing the strategy of using the ban as a weapon in game. Even players who arent in an alliance and get 3 different messages before choosing, as I did when I started, could choose one and let slip to their new commander what happened and may feel presure by their new comrades to flag the other 2 as spam. In the long run, the benefits of have any possibility of a penalty for using the in game messaging system for in game activities are miniscule in comparison to the posibility of misuse, abuse and the negative aspects it will likely have on the smaller and newer players of KoC.

I feel the solution is perhaps to add features to the messaging system, features for the user which dont involve others or the admins. Things such as:

-Turning off All messages
-Turning off All Non-Alliance
-Turning off All Non-Chain
-Flag system, anyone not flagged's messages goto the spam box which you can ignore if you please

While these require the admins to code things even boyond the messaging system, alliance and chain recognition, they wouldnt require Daily/Weekly work from the admins if they dared try to keep up with people reporting others.

:spider:

Sorry Im terrified of spiders so I had to use this one its neat

Blitz
26th February 2005, 04:34 PM
/me sighs...

I was hoping general opinion was anti-spam, but I guess I'm wrong. Before this I was not allowing my alliance to send out recruitment messages, but it appears to be the only way to get ahead, and it doesn't seem to violate any rules.

I give up, and I think I'll send some messages this evening.

Monsuco
27th February 2005, 06:57 PM
I get spam all the time. If I honestly wanted to betray a friend of mine and leave his command I would search for a player to be my commander myself. I would not listen to anyone who is begging me to help them. I would look for a commander my self in the forums or on the battle feild page. Does anyone even listen to those spammers? Anyway I have tried to report them but I can't figure out how. I just hit ignore user. I think that the KoC admins should look into people who are one several ignored list and examine their account to see if they are either spamming or being inapropriat and if so erase their account and ban their e-mail from signing up again. I also would like an easy report spam button. This whole thing was never much of a problem until the concept of commander ditching came about. Only the crazyest of spammers would spam before them (so you want me to reset my account which is better than yours and betray my friends, sure). I also think KoC could take a look at anyone who is sending several identical messages. If only it were possible to have any way to break up alliences who spam allot. Maybe the KoC staff will realize the problems spammers cause.

beebob2uk
1st March 2005, 11:09 AM
i had to vote no on this one,
as much as i like the idea vegna it could be far too easily abused,
i would be very angry if i messaged people legitimately as i do,
and 5 ppl turned around and decided they wanted to get my account suspended,
this would be a more powerful weapon than massing or sabotage could ever be...

~bee

bloodpirate
1st March 2005, 11:31 AM
very good point beebob2uk