PDA

View Full Version : Merchants(again)

Caesar2k1
19th February 2005, 02:51 PM
in the age 3 throne room I saw an idea for training your troops into merchants to generate extra gold and I would like to expand upon that idea. How about there would be a market that you could upgrade that would allow your merchants to generate extra gold as well as tools for your merchants(like carts or something) that will also generate extra gold from them.

weretere
19th February 2005, 03:48 PM
i like this idea except for how much money would they make

Cress
19th February 2005, 05:51 PM
Its nice idea and they should get killed in battle or you'll have a constant flow of cash even without having any soldiers, spies etc. so the should be able to die with something like assassination by spies or trough battle

Iawath
21st February 2005, 08:15 AM
I think it is a real good idea. It expands the game. Merchants could be 'captured' if you loose your army, or if you are attacked and loose a quantity of soldiers. A 'Market' could give you the possibility to produce tools and trade them with other players with a market.
There could even be the possibility to enhance the market and the merchant's abilities to trade.
This could be a way to introduce 'peaceful' war in the system.... :)

Caesar2k1
27th February 2005, 03:02 PM
maybe there can be a cap on merchants(i don't know how that would work, but just an idea)

llama_of_terror
27th February 2005, 08:24 PM
anything that puts more gold on the battlefield sounds good to me

kgreen10
27th February 2005, 09:50 PM
this would make it even funnier to play

lord of storms
2nd March 2005, 11:48 PM
I also aprove, i think a max of 25% like with mercenaries would work. and only have it no more than 20% more income than a normal unit or else people will become dependant on it. and the ultimate stratigy will make it a "must have" thing. The object it to bring more gold into the game, while not limiting playing styles. overall id like to see this. Gold on battle field=fun for all! :-P

Draigh
11th March 2005, 12:43 PM
I was the one that made out that first thread about merchants :bty: . Those capturing ideas are very good, I didn't think of those myself ;). Something else I mentioned, however, was to let merchants drop your sentry rating, so that there's a risk of having too much of them, and you'll need something appropriate to arrange a decent sentry rating while still letting the money roll in.
The 25% max, like mercenaries, would be perfect. You can still let a large part make extra money, while not taking too much use of it. I'm not a fan of the items/market idea though, as that might really get people up to making too much money. I mean, it's especially for beginning players, who don't wage war so much and as such don't need all of their men as soldiers, while on the other hand they need a large, steady supply of money to keep up.
I want to lay the stress, however, that merchants never, ever participate into battle (although that kidnapping idea sounded cool), and there should be some sort of limitation (maybe not the sentry rating, it doesn't really matter) to the use. Especially large players who still make a lot of use of merchants should receive penalty's, who become larger with the player's stats (so new players don't suffer that much).
Oh, and I forgot: the assassination idea might be a good means to prevent players from amassing merchants too.

greengimp
11th March 2005, 01:01 PM
what about making it so that the merchants were second on the list of units to die, this would make the role of the mercs all the more important because they would be the only thing between merchants and their deaths, cause i know that only a small part of the players in the game bother with mercs but this would give them a very important role to play

kaka duck
11th March 2005, 01:20 PM
so basically, you're buying money for money. er, rather, investing, i suppose.

anyway, we all already have "merchants."

they are called soldiers.

you want more merchants..?

you want more gold..?

upgrade your unit production=)

Laudimir
11th March 2005, 02:18 PM
I think the merchant idea has real merit. It would make the game more interesting and fun, increase the available money, and help to give n00bs an outlet that would actually help them catch up to those who have been playing, although not much of an aid. Overall, I think this would be a nice element.

Caesar2k1
13th March 2005, 02:20 PM
how about the cap would be one merchant for every 100 other personnel(whether then 25% of personnel), that is the combination of overt and covert personnel. Merchants would give a gold generation bonus to these 100 other personnel based on the one's market level and the quality of tools that the player has. There could be a progressive tax on incomes if this system is implemented. The taxes would go into a fund where ppl can aquire loans(for immediate use of upgrades, equipment, etc).