PDA

View Full Version : Random shutting down

Blue Bomber
16th February 2005, 09:24 PM
Okay, for about a week an a half, my laptop has just been randomly shutting down. I thought it could've been over heating, but thats not the case, the fans are working properly and it has moving air around it. So is there anything else it could be? I run virus scanners and update them, so i don't know about viruses...but someone here would know more than I about that. Any imput would be much appreciated. thanks

Xv_raven_vX
16th February 2005, 09:31 PM
First of all what kind of laptop is it? I might be able to give you a good answer depending on what kind it is.

Crayon Violent
17th February 2005, 09:08 AM
and what do you mean by "shutting down?" as in, immediately turning off, or is it going through the window's shutdown process?

how old/how long have you had your laptop?

without any other info, i would say your ram is starting to fail, or else there is a break or failure in your power supply. but those are wild stabs in the dark cuz i don't really have anything to go on, with what you've mentioned so far.

lunchmoney
17th February 2005, 11:41 AM
i know that there was a virus going around that was shutting down computers called "blaster". you might want to see if thats it. my dads laptop (a gateways) was also having this problem, it randomly did this and then one day it just stopped, and we still have no explanation for it.

Crayon Violent
17th February 2005, 05:55 PM
blaster is old news. if he had been updating his virus definitions like he said he was, then that wouldn't be it.

Blue Bomber
19th February 2005, 05:43 PM
sorry i haven't responded...as to i couldn't get on till now. the make is a Toshiba. running win xp, i've had it for maybe 6 months. i thought it could've been video card issues, since everytime i run a game or some videos, it shuts down. shuts down as in abrupt, no windows process, just on to off. my one friend is also having the same problem. if there is anything else you need to know, i'll try and post here when i can.

elay
28th February 2005, 02:28 AM
I had the same problem with my laptop. I'm going to assume that you may have set it down harshly a few times or so. Not quite dropping, but maybe a 3-4 inch fall. I think it may be your onboard videocard on your motherboard. Depending on your warranty, they should be able to repair it. If not, then a connetion is loose, which also happened to me as well. My connection from the input area where I would plug in to charge it came lose and would shut off the power. Take it to where you bought it and try to talk to a customer service person and see what they can do about your warranty and see who you should call.

Perad
28th February 2005, 09:52 AM
sorry i haven't responded...as to i couldn't get on till now. the make is a Toshiba. running win xp, i've had it for maybe 6 months. i thought it could've been video card issues, since everytime i run a game or some videos, it shuts down. shuts down as in abrupt, no windows process, just on to off. my one friend is also having the same problem. if there is anything else you need to know, i'll try and post here when i can.

I would say its a virus but you have already said that you periodically update your virus scanner. It isn't the graphics card because you say it shuts down. There is a big difference. One makes you lose picture but you can still here the fan going and the green light on. The other means it is off. This rules out your graphics card.

Someone suggested motherboard... if your motherboard was knackered then i doubt it would even start, you would have more problems than just a bit of shutting down every now and again.

I reckon its either a problem with XP, something to do with spyware or a knackered hard drive.

XP first, use task manager and have it always on top, do what you normally do and try to make it shut down, run multiple applications. Check to see if you are using excessive RAM/CPU power while doing simple tasks like browsing.

Spyware... i think it could be this only if your RAM is really being worked hard while doing nothing.

Finally when i was working as a computer technician in a hospital i encountered a computer which kept restarting, after 2 hours of reinstalling stuff and faffing around it turned out the hard drive was the problem.

What ever it is you should back up your data and if you can't fix it get a replacement.

Bad_Kharma
3rd March 2005, 04:12 AM
Or if you have installed windows service pack2, could be that as well, lot of issues with that update, especially if you don't have the latest hardware, it kinda conflicts. Automatic shutdowns are not unheard off ... at least not by me :eek13:

But most likely what Perad here said

Mihael
3rd March 2005, 04:21 AM
I don't think that is a virus, video card maybe since that is responsible for graphics and has a relation to the system.

I have a personal computer and sometimes it happens to me aswell, like Perad said maybe a problem with the Xp having corrupt files or even in the system folder.

What may happened was that you probably got a virus that corrupted some dll's and .exe (it depends on what kind of virus) and after your normal clean up check you erased the virus but the files are still damaged, that makes your system running error messages in blue background.

Is that what happens?

If it is you might wanna check the registry, run msconfig and see if there are any threats still in your laptop and possible massive registry errors that cause system shutdown without any explanation.

ohh and by the way, see if you can find some good Spyware and Error Scan programs, i know 2 good ones, but if you find others thats good also.

Spyware (Microsoft Beta Antispyware) Error (Error Guard)

I hope it helps. Regards....k33p3r