PDA

View Full Version : Banned for Shared Computers?

KingMello
16th February 2005, 04:48 PM
Recently my account, king_mello was banned, I assume it was for having multiple accounts, because of a message which appeared in my inbox before I was banned. Of course, being 15, and without money, I share the family computer, with my brother, who also plays.

Of course, since I was top 1,800 player, this was a greatly annoying thing... so now I have thought, and come up with an idea, perhaps which'd be useful in stopping the drop in family-playing and teamwork, and should, with luck, greatly decrease the number of multiple-account using players.

Onward, with my proposal:

I assume most players create multiple accounts for the reason of being able to sell-off between accounts. To counter this, I believe, that therefore, a "blocker" should be installed into the game.

This means, that if a player, and another player share an IP Address (or an inconspicuous cookie could be set on their browser, but these can more easily be reset), that a block should be installed for at least the rest of that age, between the two accounts, which should prevent:

1.) All interaction between the two accounts, including:
a.) Sell-offs, or any form of attacking.
b.) Sabotage.
c.) Both accounts should SHARE the 20 message limit, to avoid multiple accounts being invented, allowing a player to simply change to his second account, and start the 20 message thing over again.

2.) It also should:
a.) Stop two accounts (which are blocked - share IP Address/cookie) attacking or sabotaging the same player within 24hrs (so, it should allow 1 of these players from that computer/IP to mass a player, but not allow any others, which are ran from the same computer.)

Any ideas for adding are GREATLY appreciated here, but I think I have made my idea clear. Any questions? They are also appreciated.

weretere
16th February 2005, 05:34 PM
about the messaging my whole school with probably 100 players of koc has the same ip address so that would mean i would share that limit with 99 other players

Killing the innocent
16th February 2005, 05:34 PM
that seems stupid to me, because me and a friend each have an account, and sometimes it is not possible for one of us to use a computer, so the other person logs on to help. Train troops and the such. That would make helping friends impoosibe and in many cases make the game stupid. I defend that last remark. By saying that a good deal of players including me have in some casses had to help friends, and just because your account got shut down. Should not mean that every one elses should be banned for helping a friend. 2nd item of bussiness many players are on the game, active or not, But just for the sack of time the admins. Would have to spend probebly over 24 hours each checking IP address. That is a very crazy idea!

KingMello
16th February 2005, 05:43 PM
"about the messaging my whole school with probably 100 players of koc has the same ip address so that would mean i would share that limit with 99 other players"

A very valid point.
I'll consider another way around...

"that seems stupid to me, because me and a friend each have an account, and sometimes it is not possible for one of us to use a computer, so the other person logs on to help. Train troops and the such. That would make helping friends impoosibe and in many cases make the game stupid. I defend that last remark."

But my idea is not selfish, indeed, the Kings of Chaos rules mean that you CAN NOT log into a friends account under ANY circumstances.

"The following are prohibited:
Sharing passwords with other people and logging into accounts that are not yours"

That is from the Help page.

"2nd item of bussiness many players are on the game, active or not, But just for the sack of time the admins. Would have to spend probebly over 24 hours each checking IP address. That is a very crazy idea!"

No its not.
The admins would not do this manually. The IP Addresses could be stored in a database (as they already are - see the list of last logins, and the IP Addresses they came from in your base.php page), or the cookies could automatically send a message to the kingsofchaos website or whatever telling it to setup a block.

hollywoodstf18
16th February 2005, 05:56 PM
Killing the innocent...ur post makes it sound like you have two accounts and dont want this idea to go into affect....

Very interesting, and very good idea you have there KingMello..that is if there is a way around the school thing

KingMello
16th February 2005, 06:46 PM
After considering for hours:

"about the messaging my whole school with probably 100 players of koc has the same ip address so that would mean i would share that limit with 99 other players"

I would probably either choose to revolk the idea of the personal messaging limit being for all on the same IP Address... which is probably the better of the choices; or have it so it only worked for cookies (which is probably harder for the Kings of Chaos admins to programme, and easier for people to get around - although it'd fix the school problem (at most schools, people have their own accounts to use the computer, and therefore their own browser preferences, including their own set of cookies)).

EDIT: Just been informed:
[2:47:12] <Tony> they have that thing where you cant attack the same ip on topmafia
[2:47:19] <Tony> ip/cookie

GreenArrow
16th February 2005, 09:06 PM
You guys have it lucky. I remember at my High School the KoC web-site was banned. I remember running home just to spend my gold so I wouldn't get attacked. Good thing I have a car now, and go to UCF where all the computers have similar but slightly different IP's.

I think the whole thing is actually a really good idea. I'm also sure that the school doesn't have the same IP for every computer, but probably similar ones with subtle changes like I have @ UCF. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. One way you can find out is just log into your account, on 1 comp, and log out, then on another 1 log back in, and check the IP's to see if they are different.

I think that's kinda BS though that they wen't after some1 who they thought had 2 accounts, when there are people out there with 10 or 15 accounts.

Katsuchiyo_
16th February 2005, 09:36 PM
Big problem here.

Our family has two computers, but we share a wireless lynksis network and all our IPs are different. My brother plays. Usually, we log in one after another. And yes, sell-offs may one day occur between us. So I must go against this idea. Obviously, I have not been banned, nor my brother, so I think KoC admins look at more than IPs, because there are a lot more cases out there like us. There are surely much more obvious reasons.

KingMello
16th February 2005, 09:47 PM
"You guys have it lucky. I remember at my High School the KoC web-site was banned. I remember running home just to spend my gold so I wouldn't get attacked."

Thats what it has been like for me. I got to log-in once, then my school banned it because it came under games. :\

"Our family has two computers, but we share a wireless lynksis network and all our IPs are different. My brother plays. Usually, we log in one after another. And yes, sell-offs may one day occur between us. So I must go against this idea."

I'm sorry, but I must ask you:
What is the greater evil?
In the minority: To have your ability to take a sell-off from your brother cut off (though in your post you said that your computers used seperate IP Addresses, so I do not understand...).
Or
In the majority: To have a cheaters ability to take a sell-off from his other account cut off, and to completely discourage cheating.

The other thing you must consider is:
If indeed, you and your brother share an IP Address, the admins can check this of course, and by the current standards, possibly delete you both.

If this system was in operation, there would be very little need for admins to delete people themselves: The cheaters would leave because they couldn't sell off to their other accounts, and the family players could simply accept they can't attack their family (there are 130k players in this game to choose from after all).

This would indeed, minimize cheating, and the need for manual administration checking of reported accounts! It would not eliminate the innocent; but simply seperate them.

I understand, this is, of course, by no means a perfect system, but I personally believe it to be a potential improvement to the game.

El_pobrecito_hablador
17th February 2005, 01:19 AM
Even can be worse, in Spain the dominant operator has set a farm of transparent proxies. For kings of chaos many spanish share the sames IPs.

KingMello
18th February 2005, 02:04 PM
Well thats pretty much killed that idea off.

Any ideas around that?

Wesley Flashinpon
20th February 2005, 12:19 AM
Um, what's wrong with multiple accounts? Maybe they should drop that rule altogether. There really isn't any way to enforce it without limiting most colleges to one account per campus.