PDA

View Full Version : Religion Why religion isnt my thing

Sw0rdsplay
8th September 2004, 06:02 PM
Religion has easily the biggest bullshit story of all time. (Christianity mainly and other religions). I call it organized relgion, and a buisness:

Think about it;

Religion has convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has 10 specific things he doesnt want you to do. If you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place. Of burning, and fire, and torture, and anguish for you to suffer untill the end of time. But he loves you, and he needs money (churches ask for money). He always needs money.

He is all knowing, all loving, all powerful, all present, and all wise. Just can't handle money. Religion takes in billions and billions of dollars, and don't pay taxes, yet still always needs money.

That is why I hate religion so much (which is actually buisness, because they make money, and whatever makes money, is considered a buissness, and what do buissnesses like? Money, greed, and world domination.) a lot.

Also, almost nothing that 'God' does makes any sense:

Like:

Why do the good die young?
Why did my completely nice and religious cousin of the age of 20 that had the heart of an angel, die of unknown causes?
Why does God hate gays? (Yes, it does say this in the bible, I did not make it up.)
Why is God against gay marriage?
Why won't he show himself?
Why won't he answer majority of prayers?
Why doesn't he help me in my most dire need?
Why did he create (since he created everything) aids, hiv, flesh eating bacteria, germs, dust and mosquitos, and diseases and disorders? Etc.
When does God have the right to choose when you will die?

The list goes on and on, I got plenty more questions that need good answers. Another thing I hate when I hear the words..."God works in mysterious ways." That saying is to get away from the truth that you actually don't know if God exists at all yourself. Also, you can still believe in god, and make prayers without going to church and giving those buisness assholes money.

Also, churches will not let priests ( a lot of churches) get married, or have sex. Why do you think most priests are screwed up in the head, and are pedifiles? This disturbs me very much.

Questions for you:

Can you explain a minimum of 15% of your book or worship in full detail and how you know that? (It doesnt count that you got the info from the priest, because he could make things up to)
Can you explain what god does and why?
Do you think God exists? Can you prove it?
What is the point of church when you can pray at home for free?

Another thing to add, the worst wars we ever had were based on religious hatred. As I think about it, if the world had no religions what so ever, we would get along a whole lot better, and their would be less fighting.

One of the stories I heard on the news is a kid that went to school and had a gun and walked up to a girl, and asked her "Do you believe in my god." She replied; "No, but I believe in my god." The kid with the gun shot her in the brains instantly killing her for giving him the "wrong answer" to him.

Uryiel
8th September 2004, 06:17 PM
wow, you have alot of misinformation there...i would suggest breaking up each of your points into seperate threads because they are each huge topics imo. You also have much hate as well...this is disappointing.

Event Horizon
8th September 2004, 06:19 PM
Religion has convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has 10 specific things he doesnt want you to do.
There are many other rules besides the ten commandments.

If you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place. Of burning, and fire, and torture, and anguish for you to suffer untill the end of time.
I've heard many Christians say that hell isn't exactly a place for burning but for absence of their god, which is torture, according to them. It's just one of those things that people can't agree on in the Bible.

But he loves you, and he needs money (churches ask for money). He always needs money.
He doesn't need money. The church using the money to help other churches, to fund missionaries and evangelists, and, of course, as pay for the priest (since his job is the church).

He is all knowing, all loving, all powerful, all present, and all wise. Just can't handle money. Religion takes in billions and billions of dollars, and don't pay taxes, yet still always needs money.
You get paid to preach. Being a priest or paster is a job, yet they don't pay taxes. That does annoy me as well. Where I live, they are constantly building huge churches. They just put up a 2 million dollar church, in fact. We could really use that tax money.

That is why I hate religion (which is actually buisness cause they make money) a lot.
Yes, my grandpa used to pay the church 10% of his pay check. He was barely getting by as it was. Eventually, he stopped though, because he would see the priest go home to his mansion is his porsche and that annoyed my grandpa.

Religion can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. Sometimes it fuels violence, war, destruction, genocide, and terrorism. Sometimes it brings a sense of peace to a person or people.

Molotov
8th September 2004, 06:20 PM
The first major objection I see with your thread is it seems to be a more specific attack at the Christian Religion, and not an attack on religion as a whole, despite the fact you label it as such. Seeing questions like "why does God hate gays/gay marriage" I can assure you no buddhist diety would care.

Also, none of those questions regarding suffering/injustice proving the non existance of God, especially not the Christian God. Read the book of Job for more information on the Christian standpoint. A Buddhist would argue that these things happen, because they are irelevant in the grand scheme of the universe, and also can lead to betterment through enlightenment. For example, had Siddhartha never seen a sick or dying man, he never would have sought out enlightenment.

It seems you're directing things more at the Christian God, to whome the most simple answer is, you just don't ask him questions, he's all powerful and he does as he pleases. Good things are god's mercy, bad things are god's justice. Deal.

Uryiel
8th September 2004, 06:21 PM
You get paid to preach. Being a priest or paster is a job, yet they don't pay taxes. That does annoy me as well.

ok i have to correct you. They DO pay taxes.

Molotov
8th September 2004, 06:23 PM
You get paid to preach. Being a priest or paster is a job, yet they don't pay taxes. That does annoy me as well.

What he probably means is that churches (and other religious institutions) are exempt from property taxes. I know this is a fact in the United States.

Event Horizon
8th September 2004, 06:24 PM

Here, the church doesn't pay taxes.

What he probably means is that churches (and other religious institutions) are exempt from property taxes. I know this is a fact in the United States.
They don't pay any kind of tax the last time I checked (speaking locally).

Sw0rdsplay
8th September 2004, 07:37 PM
I guess I did put emphasis on christianity, but I do mean all religions. Can you answer these questions? I ask them, because these questions turn me away from ALL religions, and that is why I want to know what you think. Answer them to your best ability, it would help me out a lot. Thanks:

Why did my completely nice and religious cousin of the age of 20 that had the heart of an angel, die of unknown causes?
Why did he create (since he created everything) aids, hiv, flesh eating bacteria, germs, dust and mosquitos, and diseases and disorders? Etc.
Also, churches will not let priests ( a lot of churches) get married, or have sex. Why do you think most priests are screwed up in the head, and are pedifiles?
Can you explain a minimum of 15% of your book or worship in full detail and how you know that? (It doesnt count that you got the info from the priest, because he could make things up to)
One of the stories I heard on the news is a kid that went to school and had a gun and walked up to a girl, and asked her "Do you believe in my god." She replied; "No, but I believe in my god." The kid with the gun shot her in the brains instantly killing her for giving him the "wrong answer" to him. Why did God let this happen?

Uryiel
8th September 2004, 07:43 PM
sword, the replies would be monstrously long if one were to defend theism here...break it up to one / thread...it will make things alot easier.

TheBadGuy
8th September 2004, 07:53 PM
I'm an atheist, but I'm bored enough to take a crack at this from the Christian perspective

In Christianity, nobody is truly good. We are all sinners and not only deserve death, but Hell. Besides, death isn't always a bad thing for those who are Christians.

Not all theists believe their god(s) is/are benevolent (which should apply to the rest of your questions).

Well, if he accepted Christ and lived a good life, then he's on his way to paradise. Death isn't a bad thing in his case.

Religion is about faith.

He gave us the ability to solve problems for a reason. We can try solve our own problems.

Because they can help themselves, or be helped by others.

Because it is less than us sinners deserve. We are quite fortunate to be blessed with this wonderful Earth.

He created us, He can do whatever He likes with us

Also, churches will not let priests ( a lot of churches) get married, or have sex. Why do you think most priests are screwed up in the head, and are pedifiles?
Priests are human, and don't represent the Christian god. Some rotten people exist in all religions and even atheism. They don't represent the entire group.

Nope. A real theist might be able to answer that

Once again, better answered by a real Christian. In my opinion, no to the first and possibly to the second.

Not sure. From what I remember the Bible says you should pray silently and alone. Don't see the need for churches.

One of the stories I heard on the news is a kid that went to school and had a gun and walked up to a girl, and asked her "Do you believe in my god." She replied; "No, but I believe in my god." The kid with the gun shot her in the brains instantly killing her for giving him the "wrong answer" to him. Why did God let this happen?
That's an urban legend. Even if it was true, she's probably going to heaven anyway. You assume death is always a bad thing.

None of these reflect my own beliefs.

Habsfan
8th September 2004, 09:17 PM
Religion has easily the biggest bullshit story of all time. (Christianity mainly and other religions). I call it organized relgion, and a buisness:

Me: Please refrain from that type of language, it is insulting and unneccessary.

Think about it;

Religion has convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has 10 specific things he doesnt want you to do. If you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place. Of burning, and fire, and torture, and anguish for you to suffer untill the end of time. But he loves you, and he needs money (churches ask for money). He always needs money.

Me: Religion has you convinced that there is an all present being existing. He doesn't watch you he already knows. There are more than 10 things, but if you follow his rules everyone gets along, and life is simple. You can do any of these 10 things and not go to hell. He doesn't need money, nor does the church, it just makes things nicer.

Me: Religion takes in billions and billions of dollars, and guess what. It handles its expenses so it can build a building to worship him in, and to help out people in need, and hire people to do their job. Wow that's terrible.

That is why I hate religion so much (which is actually buisness, because they make money, and whatever makes money, is considered a buissness, and what do buissnesses like? Money, greed, and world domination.) a lot.

Me: Wow. So you would like a pastor who goes to school for 8-12 years to make no money. But you still want him to work full time? Then you would have a church outdoors, where it can snow, and you can't hear anything without sound equipment, and that sound equipment can get ruined by rain. So they bring in money to function, you show me anything that doesn't function on money.

Also, almost nothing that 'God' does makes any sense:

Me: Almost nothing humans do makes any sense. Example terrorism, stealing, lieing, fighting, etc.

Like:

Me: It's in the bible, can't remember the verse but it goes to this effect. The sun shines and the rain falls on both the wicked and the pure.

Me: Can't answer that, but I'll try. Maybe it was his time, maybe he was done what he needed to do on earth. Maybe it was his time to go to heaven.

Why does God hate gays? (Yes, it does say this in the bible, I did not make it up.)

Me: You are making this up. God does not hate homosexuals, he hates the act of homosexuality. I can go into more detail on why it is impure, but I may offend people if you want more info I will PM you.

Why is God against gay marriage?

Me: Because he is against the act of homosexuality.

Me: He has, you just don't see the world as I do (for example, I see the beauty of the mountains as a work of God - thus showing his power and majesty, while you see it as random spontanaeity)

Me: I believe all prayers are answered, just in different ways.

Me: Are you a Christian, or even religious? Did you ask him for help? Do you know him as a friend? Are you sure he hasn't helped you, because you cannot see how all things will work out?

Me: The diseases question I will have to research and learn some more to answer your questions. God has the right to choose when we will die at anytime, he made us, he can destroy us.

The list goes on and on, I got plenty more questions that need good answers. Another thing I hate when I hear the words..."God works in mysterious ways." That saying is to get away from the truth that you actually don't know if God exists at all yourself. Also, you can still believe in god, and make prayers without going to church and giving those buisness assholes money.

Me: Once again, you can never know the true mind of any being. So to ask us to know completely the mind of God is ridiculous. You are really ignorant on the fact that pastors make approximately 40 000 dollars a year (which isn't much considering there schooling), and an assistant pastor makes 30 000 dollars a year. This is full time work. Stop flaming the church.

Also, churches will not let priests ( a lot of churches) get married, or have sex. Why do you think most priests are screwed up in the head, and are pedifiles? This disturbs me very much.

Me: Actually there are very few churches that will not let priests get married. I do not think most priests are screwed up in the head, or are pedifiles. Remember that people who have religion are people too, and that they are susceptable to sin.

Questions for you:

Me: Most people haven't even read 15% of the bible (this includes many Christians) but I don't understand your question - rephrase it.

Me: Sometimes yes, but as I said above you can never know the complete mind of a being. It is impossible and to ask this question is ridicuolus.

Me: Yes I think God exists. I can try and prove it to you, but you will not accept what I have to offer as proof, because you cannot feel it. Can you prove the big bang completely - no.

Me: To help yourself and to help others. Praying in groups is better than praying alone. You can share your burdens. There are many more, but I don't have the time.

Another thing to add, the worst wars we ever had were based on religious hatred. As I think about it, if the world had no religions what so ever, we would get along a whole lot better, and their would be less fighting.

Me: Are you kidding? Religion in these cases have been used as a mask to hide evil. Racism (WWII), greed, money, anger, all cause wars. Religion in these instances have been used as a mask to hide this evil. If that doesn't make sense I can explain in more detail. Believe me without religion we would see just as many wars, just different excuses.

One of the stories I heard on the news is a kid that went to school and had a gun and walked up to a girl, and asked her "Do you believe in my god." She replied; "No, but I believe in my god." The kid with the gun shot her in the brains instantly killing her for giving him the "wrong answer" to him.

Try and be a bit more open minded in your arguments.