PDA

View Full Version : The unescapable prejudice?

LT3_banned
8th September 2004, 12:26 PM
Now that we've evolved into a society in which we accept those of all accents, creeds, beliefs and sexual preferences, there's always one last line between our fellow human beings which seperates and essentially alienates us:

Intelligence.

Now don't argue with me, because there's nothing to argue about. This is all food for thought.

Now due to the internet, alot of intellectual elitism has gone too far for the good of any. I see boards devoted to people being sardonic assholes, in which you'd be shunned for not joining in "photoshop the mentally disabled" or "taunt the terrible spellers".

Now, it's not just on the internet, it exists worldwide, but for seem reason it seems worse online; people are constantly ridiculing others. Netiquette? What's netiquette? A fool's trifle, apparantly, to regard the feelings of other's is folly for I can spell words you can't pronounce so I'm obviously better.

We all seem to have this vice, it seems the weakness people have to see a way to jump out and say "woah I'm better than you!" is too overwhelming for most. But do you really gain anything in the long run? You're not going to achieve anything but just be really clever but alone, the chances are you're not even clever in the first place, which makes things worse.
Everytime you make someone seem worse, you think yourself better, better than another person? Sure you can be better 'at' something, but the way this works is that you're just 'better' open and shut case.
Looking back a while the idea of someone just being 'better' than someone else would have been preposterous;I was given lessons equality as a small child from my parents, and they've always stuck with me.

Well, over a year ago I was living in the suburbs in a rough area, and as you could guess, debating philosophy wasn't available to me.
I moved out to the country, where everyone is richer to me, and a few months of having nother better to do than surf the net, I found gua through Gil-Galad.

When I first came here, I was branded an idiot, looking at the conversations you were having I'd readily agreed, but one year later I'm one of 'the smart ones'. What does this tell you?

Well.. to show you that I didn't riquochet off my original topic so I could mention myself, here is the relevance:
Intelligence is the ability to store and pick up information, mispelling "heinous" isn't actually heinous, y'see?

Rather than judging someone off in 10 seconds after the first "hi who r u?" talk to someone, and look at their ideas and mind. Alot of time you'll find that you've found an idiot, but intelligence lies in people's potential.

How am I supposed to find potential in someone I can't communicate with!?

Oh, get off your high-horse, being seflessly mono-syllabic might get you a place in heaven (provided you use those gua-found debating skills with Saint Peter). Anyway, here's how you try and find if someone is potentially clever:

Thought processes, if someone thinks something complex quickly. But this can be a hard thing to do. People can be obsessed with such simple things as "hey u, wot band do u like?", which I don't think they could stun you with genius mind-speed using. Try to veer off into other things.

Memory is a hard thing to measure, even Hawking forgets his glasses occasionally.

Talk about philosophy, anyone who after a precise explanation either:
Is not interested, or, under the impression that it's a load of crap.
Then they're probably not right either..

Talk about literature, the 'clever in waiting' should read, but unfortunately if they were not brought up in the enviroment in which they were encouraged too, then they're probably dumb too..

Talk about things of topical interest or just talk, you should be able just to tell on your own after a while.

So just always be on the lookout for these people, gua could do wonders for them. I owe it to all the people like me, who never had the chance to find this eschelon of stimuli locally.

But where does this leave the rest? Have I just condoned being dismissive of those who shun poetry and watch mtv?

Probably.

Aun Shi
8th September 2004, 12:38 PM
Oooh. The philosophy levels are outragously high here. XD

I have to agree with you Lt3, for a while I had seen "elitists" in the form of writing...or role playing. This person who had everyone pinned down as fugly and retarded had a sort of megalomaniac attitude towards most people, that is, unless they proved themselves by being an asshole to others and using big words.

I found myself looking at this person and wishing I had his talent of writing, unfortunatly I had also started picking on newbs. It wasn't a pleasant sight. I ended up with all the talent this man had, but I'm much nicer now.

Before, I didn't have the understanding that some people don't like to learn, like I do. Some people just are actually content with themselves and do not care what others think, that is until they are ridiculed. I'm not saying I care what others think, I used to, but not anymore.

This sort of bully approach to making oneself more popular and intelligent is awkward and it stuns me now.

Bah...

O_o:: I never considered you "dumb" Lt3....
When I first saw your posts....All I thought was you may have been a bit immature, but you had a great sense of humor.

White_Hindu
8th September 2004, 12:51 PM
d00d lol 2 lonmg waesome!!1

Now do you understand the dillemma we alpha forumers face?

LT3_banned
8th September 2004, 12:55 PM
It's not a dilemma really, you simply have to be nice to everyone despite things they might be lacking. But I guess that isn't cool, eh?

Fallen
8th September 2004, 12:57 PM
Well if people could do that in actual society then there would be a lot more 'friendliship' even if forced. Its the naturally way of the human to hate and dispise what they can't do or resent what they can't have or be.

White_Hindu
8th September 2004, 01:00 PM
I'll bet the true kn0blets don't even read your post because it is 'lol 2 logn waesome'. In any case, I'll continue to make fun of the less fortunate.

Q. What is funnier than a dead baby?
A. A dead baby in a clown suit.

Q. What is funnier than a dead baby in a clown suit?
A. A dead baby in a clown suit next to a kid with down syndrome.

Funny!

Aun Shi
8th September 2004, 03:41 PM
._.'' Not really funny at all. I'd rather be uncool and make someone's life a hella lot easier than be an asshole... I hope people learn from this.

Stephen
8th September 2004, 04:07 PM
I give people a chance, and if they prove themselves worthy of my respect, so be it. If not, I can live with that too. But you have to admit, most people are blabbering idiots. I keep my eye out for the occasional gleam of intelligence, but I don't assume intelligence until proven ignorant.

I have no problem condemning people who watch MTV.

Wintermute
8th September 2004, 04:08 PM
Did LT3 just tell me to be nice...?

I have, in the past, roughed it out and communicated with some internet-folk, but I found that there's no point: they're tiring and BORING and can't understand you.
I'd much rather chillax with people of my calibur (whatever that is) than those of a lesser degree, just to see if there's potential.

v.v

Lemming
8th September 2004, 05:55 PM
I'll bet the true kn0blets don't even read your post because it is 'lol 2 logn waesome'

I'm a "kn0blet" and I read it... most of LT3's posts are interesting.

I like SA's motto "the internet makes you stupid" I think my spelling and grammar is slowly degrading due to the hours of "y helo thar!, u suxors, lololololroflrofl"...

Anubis
8th September 2004, 06:00 PM
Don't be foolish. Intelligence doesn't matter anymore, now that we have plenty of lawyers ready to let us win in court against those intelligent people and liberals to make laws to help us. Once our lawyers and liberals are done, intelligence won't matter anymore and we'll all be freed from Republican tyranny.

Molotov
8th September 2004, 06:05 PM
You're forgeting this is a prejudice that works both ways. Smarter people are often ridiculed by those who are jealous of their intelligence. I have to mention that before I get all weepy for the stupid kids.

Also, you're forgetting stupidity has some serious side effects. For example, lets say StephenKenny and I are having a discussion on whether or not Kerry's policy of outsourcing is veiled racism or not and someone comes in with a post like "OGM, t3h Kerry is a luzr, I vote 4 Bush lollolol" and then you get the entire VRWC jumping in saying how much they hate Kerry and that Bush has made the world safe for baby elephants, and the narrow discussion StephenKenny and I were having has turned into a bunch of stupidity and election propaganda.

Now, is it all that unreasonable to hate idiots who would post "Kerry is a luzr" or something equally asinine (or in some cases blatantly wrong). I say no. Hatred is good, as long as it is justly directed.

If you seem to think this isn't a problem, I merely direct you to the post above me.

LT3_banned
9th September 2004, 12:31 AM
You have a good point there.

It's one thing being nice to them, but it's another trying to get stuff done around them and their discussions.

I guess you have to put them in your place, but also.. not.. be nasty..

I guess you're disliking the foolishness, but not the fool.
You dislike their actions, but.. at least.. oh I don't know.

This was only food for thought, I can't make it right or anything.

I suppose their's always plegm's way of "lovingly explaining to the posters that they should never post here again because we're having to have a serious discussion!", at least I think it was plegm.

I suppose everyone should be true to themselves, but.. not.. a jerk.

Bugga
9th September 2004, 01:28 AM
I'll bet the true kn0blets don't even read your post because it is 'lol 2 logn waesome'. In any case, I'll continue to make fun of the less fortunate.

Q. What is funnier than a dead baby?
A. A dead baby in a clown suit.

Q. What is funnier than a dead baby in a clown suit?
A. A dead baby in a clown suit next to a kid with down syndrome.

Funny!

No thatís not funny, I would be lead to believe that you would have no one better to pick on then on the people who are dumb through no fault of there own. Meaning you had little to no more Intelligence then them.

Perad
9th September 2004, 03:30 AM
I often take the piss out of people that are not as clever as me, sure i am not the brightest but i like the feeling of knowing how to do most maths sums, and knowing a shitload of general knowledge. When someone gets something wrong i correct them, sometimes to say ha, but most of the time so in future they know whats right. On the internet i don't really flame people for being dumb, i just flame for typing/spelling.

Someone who rights "how r u... then gdgd i g2g" bugs the shit out of me, why can't they just write in English. Especially on forums, i mean how retarded can you be, if there is a discussion on something and you start talking in "text language" thats my only real quibble with people on the internet.

As for smart vs dumb, if they have a reason to be dumb then its fair enough, but most don't, for example my friend bunked 4 days a week of school, i often laugh when he makes mistakes, he doesn't take it personally, he knows he was a dick for bunking school.

White_Hindu
9th September 2004, 08:52 AM
I can easily make fun of people who are retarded. Do you know why?

BECAUSE THEY ARE RETARDED! I doubt most of them can comprehend that I called them a retard, and the ones that can probably wouldn't care. If I was in a situation where I was vastly inferior to those around me and people made fun of me I wouldn't care. This is why the pecking order of the fora exists.

Splat
9th September 2004, 09:04 AM
I can easily make fun of people who are retarded. Do you know why?

BECAUSE THEY ARE RETARDED! I doubt most of them can comprehend that I called them a retard, and the ones that can probably wouldn't care. If I was in a situation where I was vastly inferior to those around me and people made fun of me I wouldn't care. This is why the pecking order of the fora exists.

That's an interesting way of looking at things. Mean, but interesting.

I many cases it's not a question of intelligence, but maturity (text language, etc.) I know some highly intelligent people who talk in text language, at least they sometimes do while chatting online. On forums, I usually expect a higher level of expression from the average user.

Also, there are all sorts of different kinds of intelligence. Take "idiot savants" for example. They may not know how to spell a basic word, but they can multiply nine digit numbers in their heads in fractions of the time it'd tkae most normal people.

Also, they way people express themselves is restricted to their command of the english language. If you took a random person from out of country who was insanely smart but didn't understand the language, to you they might some across as stupid.

LT3_banned
9th September 2004, 09:11 AM
I'm not necessarily speaking about transforum behaviour, I'm talking generally, in all situations in life.

Maybe in life it doesn't happen as much because it's harder to tell when you don't have people's spelling ability and vocabulary immediately available to see.

I'm still just trying to figure out a general rule.
I mean, there's no way of knowing why someone's dumb. I always thought it was due to mental stimulation as a child, but no one can help their traits, you could argue that they are as much a victim of them as you are when they inhibit you.
Especially the ones that don't take a hint and go away; that is, of course, if you class "go away" as a hint.

But there you go, that's life, I suppose since people can neither help being annoying but I can't EVER see myself being nice to those guys because "awww.. they can't help it", I suppose the stupid can't be expected much tolerance either.

But just keep a look out for those with potential, maybe more tolerance, but uhh.. yeah.

Moot point.

EDIT: Actually, I'll just go through that again.

Can I actually just leave it at that?
I suppose it's not an analogy because I'd say an annoying personality is a sub -type of a stupid personality, they both stem at foolishness, right :goatee: ?

But stupid people are only bad because they are annoying. So if I just condoned maltreatment to annoying people then I suppose they're intertwined with stupidity, right?

Awww... I don't see a solution coming here -- at least not a nice morally right one which will get me a seat in heaven.

But I suppose you should be unconditionally nice to everyone, because you can be 'stern' rather than rude, right? But that sounds bit gay, like one of the counsellors or priests who just don't get offended.

Just.. uhh.. yeah.

Cap'n Samwise
9th September 2004, 11:12 AM
But where does this leave the rest? Have I just condoned being dismissive of those who shun poetry and watch mtv?

Probably.

Hey, even Socrates hated poetry.

So I guess what I'm saying is ESTEEEFYOU! You'd be a cynical bastard too if you've reviewed the shit I've experienced.

LT3_banned
9th September 2004, 11:23 AM
I'm not telling you what to do.

I'm trying to figure out what should be done, in a perfect (meaning it's never going to happen) world, and why.

Spirited
9th September 2004, 12:07 PM
People should remember that putting others down only gives them the illusion of elevation.

I try to respect that not everybody comes online (or wherever else) to have an indepth discussion, many are here to relax. They want to share a quick thought on something and don't really want to have to bother with proper structure and grammer the way they do at home/work/school.

That said, my patience begins to wane when the language is so illegible or ambigious that it is clear that they don't care whether they are understood or not. At that point, after a few hints, ignoring seems to be the best option. I think we do have to be careful when there is a proper reason for apparent stupidity.

Spirited

LT3_banned
9th September 2004, 03:02 PM
People should remember that putting others down only gives them the illusion of elevation.

Yar, I think I covered that in the first post.

I try to respect that not everybody comes online (or wherever else) to have an indepth discussion, many are here to relax. They want to share a quick thought on something and don't really want to have to bother with proper structure and grammer the way they do at home/work/school.

I appreciate this, you can't force people to discuss what they don't want to anyway.

That said, my patience begins to wane when the language is so illegible or ambigious that it is clear that they don't care whether they are understood or not. At that point, after a few hints, ignoring seems to be the best option.

Eh? Sounds a bit short-sighted me thinks, I mean even the most stupid of people have reasons for doing things. They wouldn't bother to speak without the motive of being heard, understood and probably agreed with.
I'd be much more inclined to believe they were incapable rather than apathetic to how they seem.

So is that it? Is that my conclusion?
Be nasty to the stupid because they're just the scum clogging the shoes of us 'better people'?

I never thought it would amount to this.

P.S. I spelt apparently wrong in the opening poast, LOL.

Dari
9th September 2004, 03:05 PM
The central eastern seaboard is full of racists and bigots. My freshmen lingustics teacher has two adopted african-american children, and when she was buying catfish, a southern man drawls, "Why's a fine lady like you buying negro food for those negro women childs?".

Of course she responded, "I like these ones better then yours". :D

LT3_banned
9th September 2004, 03:10 PM
Really?!

WELL THAT SOLVES EVERYTHING! THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY THE MISSING LINK IN MY THOUGHT PROCESS! YOU'VE SAVED THE DAY!

By giving me a prime example for next thesis on stupid people.

Anubis
9th September 2004, 05:07 PM
Intelligence isn't the same thing as intellect, something a lot of people are confused about, helping your view of what's going on. Intelligent people certainly don't have to be that great at anything either than learning quite quickly and thinking logically. Intellectual people can really only have so much intellect if, without a special agenda, are as eloquent as stoned Teletubbies.