PDA

View Full Version : Are Mercenaries Really Worth It!!!

WookieRookie
31st January 2005, 04:19 PM
:flame: I have 4 Attack Mercenaries 2 Defense Mercenaries and 1 Untrained Mercenarie. Will they really help? :flame:

killerwoody_1
31st January 2005, 04:29 PM
In your case....NO

in my case....YES

the bigger your army is, the more causulties you sustain in both attacks made by you and attacks made on you. A killed TBG soldier in action is a loose for the rest of the age, that soldier will not come back at all. For the ones with abit of knowledge, Yield Management. I rather loose 50 mercs then that I loose 50 tbg soldiers so yeah mercs are definitly worth their investment in the long run, however for smaller accounts. I can understand your question, it's now up to you to find a good solution to your problem but I hope this post will add something to that decision.

Katsuchiyo_
31st January 2005, 04:45 PM
Unless they are holding otherwise unheld weapons, you unfortunately most likely wasted your money. They have mainly two uses: to die (so you don't lose soldiers which give you moeny) and to hold weapons if you don't have enough guys. Mostly, just the first reason counts.

GreenArrow
31st January 2005, 05:21 PM
yeah but you have to consider the cost of a merc. It costs 4,500 for a def merc, so inorder to pay the merc off, he has to live for as long as it takes 1 TBG unit to make 4,500, otherwise you wasted your gold, and would have saved money by letting the TBG soldier die.

So for humans it takes 1 TBG soldier about 129 turns to pay off 1 merc. That's about 64.5 hours. So if the merc dies b4 64.5 hours, then it was a waste of gold. that's if your human though.

For non-humans it would take about 161 turns, so that's about 80.5 hours. So if the merc dies b4 80.5 hours within buying it, then it was a waste of gold. Mercs tend to be more USEFUL for big accounts, but as long as they get the job done, and protect your TBG soldiers from death, then it's not a waste. Sooner or later your gonna get too big, and have a casualty in your army, so might as well get the mercs now while your army is still small and won't die. that way you know you got your money's worth out of them when you see a casualty.

Katsuchiyo_
31st January 2005, 05:27 PM
yeah but you have to consider the cost of a merc. It costs 4,500 for a def merc, so inorder to pay the merc off, he has to live for as long as it takes 1 TBG unit to make 4,500, otherwise you wasted your gold, and would have saved money by letting the TBG soldier die.

So for humans it takes 1 TBG soldier about 129 turns to pay off 1 merc. That's about 64.5 hours. So if the merc dies b4 64.5 hours, then it was a waste of gold. that's if your human though.

For non-humans it would take about 161 turns, so that's about 80.5 hours. So if the merc dies b4 80.5 hours within buying it, then it was a waste of gold. Mercs tend to be more USEFUL for big accounts, but as long as they get the job done, and protect your TBG soldiers from death, then it's not a waste. Sooner or later your gonna get too big, and have a casualty in your army, so might as well get the mercs now while your army is still small and won't die. that way you know you got your money's worth out of them when you see a casualty.

Actually, it is the other way around. If a merc dies, it dies in the place of a TBG sodlier. So, once it dies, it takes 161 turns for it to pay off, and then after that, it is pure profit.

GreenArrow
31st January 2005, 05:34 PM
it doesn't matter how you look at it. After it dies or b4 it dies, but if your looking at after it dies, then you can't have ANY casualties for 161 turns inorder to pay it off, cuz then you have the other mercs to pay off as well as that 1. It's easier if you look at it WHEN you buy them, cuz after 161 turns, they are free to die whenever anything happens. However, if a merc does not die by the end of an AGE then it was definatly a waste of money.

So buying mercs 2 days b4 the age ends is gonna be a very bad thing... unless you have more weapons than you have soldiers, cuz then that'll help your rank.

Katsuchiyo_
31st January 2005, 05:44 PM
For the most part, any merc that dies 2 weeks before the end of the age is not a waste. It may not be a good investment, but it isn't COSTING you money.

joejoemo
31st January 2005, 06:00 PM
There very good for the reasons mentioned above .but another use for them many people have left out is if you are the leader of a realtively big alliance you can ues them to make your army look really big (i.e. LordStriker has many mercs). This will help raise your followers morale and make them think you are getting many more clicks than you really are.

Katsuchiyo_
31st January 2005, 06:10 PM
joejoemo, lol. Yes, that is one option. But actually, too many mercs get in the way. For example, they make your DA have a minimum value above 0, which makes sell-offs hard.

Jedi
31st January 2005, 07:34 PM
There very good for the reasons mentioned above .but another use for them many people have left out is if you are the leader of a realtively big alliance you can ues them to make your army look really big (i.e. LordStriker has many mercs). This will help raise your followers morale and make them think you are getting many more clicks than you really are.

Denny and LordStriker do have many mercs (http://www.giveupalready.com/showpost.php?p=149819&postcount=374) and I would like to personally thank Denny for providing this info to us all. At least we can learn something from the top players' gameplay strategy.

I guess the top players thinks mercenaries are useful (http://www.giveupalready.com/showpost.php?p=170739&postcount=652), so it does help in your KOC campaign.

GreenArrow
31st January 2005, 08:40 PM
For the most part, any merc that dies 2 weeks before the end of the age is not a waste. It may not be a good investment, but it isn't COSTING you money.

yeah I said 2 days, not 2 weeks. There's a big difference there. About a 400$ difference for me atleast.

PrinceDestruction
4th February 2005, 07:44 PM
yes, they will some people use mercenaries to help hold weapons and others use them so they die in place of their TBG soldiers, it is entirely up to you

Haplo
5th February 2005, 02:00 AM
I once made a long calculation if mercs were worth it. In my case they were but that doesnt count for everyone. I have to dig up those calculations. :\ Anyway they are still cost effective in my case and I love to use mercs..when they are there that is.

Anyway you have to count it out for yourself if it is worth it. Untrained mercs are useful if you are going to attack a lot and you know you will lose many men. Saves a nice amount of TBG. Anyway I am going to show one of the ways it was cost effective by a bit. But I am sure there are many ways they can be considered cost effective ^^ But this was just one case from one person and they assume that person attacks once every 4 days and loses about 100 mercs. And yeah well it was an elf.

Mercs

(these calculations assume you get the 300 men on first second of day)
300 a day x 28 = 8400 x 48 = 403,200
600 men on day 2 = 806,400 (daily TBG for 600 men)
900 on day 3 = 1,209,600
1200 on day 4 = 1,572,480
=========================
Total TBG from men on those days = 3,991,690

Now to count the money lost on that if I attack once every 4 days and lose either 100 mercs or 100 TBG troops.

3,991,690 - (4500 x 100 ) = 3,541,690
3,541,690 = total extra profit if using attack mercs to cover kills.
----------------------------------------------------
Now for normal troops. Since I lose 100 troops on day one my TBG will be 100x28 = 2800 lower.
Meaning -100 troops. So assuming I get 300 troops second after I attacked on first day I have a plus of 200 extra Troops TBG wise since I just lost a 100.
200 x 28 x 48 = 268,800
500 men on day 2 = 672,000
800 men on day 3 = 1,075,200
1100 men on day 4 = 1,478,400
=======================
Total TBG from men without extra costs = 3,494,400
So losing mercs gets you 3,541,690 extra gold and losing TBG men gets you 3,494,400 extra gold which means mercs were 47,290 more cost effective.

And well this calculation means that it depends on how many men you get on average, how often you attack and how many mercs and what kind you will be losing and if you train men to spy or not...I mean seriously so much to think off ^^

So grab your calculator and see if you think they are worth it. :thumbsup: